Taylor Swift drags Apple Music + pulls her album

Started by Herb., June 21, 2015, 02:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herb.

June 21, 2015, 02:09:03 PM Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 03:42:39 PM by squid

As you may have heard, Apple Music will be offering all users a 3-month free trial when the streaming service launches on June 30th.

What you may not know, is that during those three months Apple will not be paying ANY royalties to artists, labels, or publishers.

Taylor Swift, like many artists, feel that?s wrong ? especially for a company with Apple?s bank account.

While most artists have remained silent on the issue, Taylor Swift wrote an open letter explaining why she decided to pull her album 1989 from the service.

I?m sure you are aware that Apple Music will be offering a free 3 month trial to anyone who signs up for the service. I?m not sure you know that Apple Music will not be paying writers, producers, or artists for those three months. I find it to be shocking, disappointing, and completely unlike this historically progressive and generous company

This is not about me. Thankfully I am on my fifth album and can support myself, my band, crew, and entire management team by playing live shows. This is about the new artist or band that has just released their first single and will not be paid for its success. This is about the young songwriter who just got his or her first cut and thought that the royalties from that would get them out of debt. This is about the producer who works tirelessly to innovate and create, just like the innovators and creators at Apple are pioneering in their field?but will not get paid for a quarter of a year?s worth of plays on his or her songs.

These are not the complaints of a spoiled, petulant child. These are the echoed sentiments of every artist, writer and producer in my social circles who are afraid to speak up publicly because we admire and respect Apple so much. We simply do not respect this particular call.

I realize that Apple is working towards a goal of paid streaming. I think that is beautiful progress. We know how astronomically successful Apple has been and we know that this incredible company has the money to pay artists, writers and producers for the 3 month trial period? even if it is free for the fans trying it out.

http://www.lovebscott.com/news/taylor-swift-blasts-apple-music-in-an-open-letter-explains-why-shes-withholding-her-1989-album-from-the-service

SUPREME

Very well written

Didn't know it was that bad for them

Young

Rod

when she puts it like that, she has a great point.

Buy The Stars✨

yeah she has a point but she is rolling in the dough .. yes i understand that this is HER work and she cherishes it and wants to get paid for it but 3 months of her not getting paid from apple isnt gonna make or break her at all. if she was smart she should find out how many streams her music gets during the 3 months and then donate that money to her fav charity

Rod

Quote from: Nicholas_Styles on June 21, 2015, 03:52:26 PM
yeah she has a point but she is rolling in the dough .. yes i understand that this is HER work and she cherishes it and wants to get paid for it but 3 months of her not getting paid from apple isnt gonna make or break her at all. if she was smart she should find out how many streams her music gets during the 3 months and then donate that money to her fav charity

its not just about her. she said she's taking a stand for new artist as well as people behind the scenes that should be getting paid for their work.

Buy The Stars✨

i understand that that and of COURSE she is saying that  NEW ARTIST! .. DESERVE TO BE PAID! NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!

i just feel like she is more worried about lining her own pockets than the other artists ..

monk al-taqi

oh this white privileged bitch can shut the fuck up

"Trust in God is worth everything that is precious and the path to every goal which is high and sublime."

FRANCE

Quote from: Rod on June 21, 2015, 03:57:22 PM

its not just about her. she said she's taking a stand for new artist as well as people behind the scenes that should be getting paid for their work.

!!!

Artists nowadays aint making much money from their debut albums unless they're selling big like a Sam Smith and can sell out arenas and get endorsements. It's even worse now than Pebbles telling TLC they wont get paid until their second album.

I for one am happy she's taking a stand. Newer artists cant afford to do that cause they need the exposure.

Jon

i doubt max martin is having money troubles though

Lane Bryant Jumpsuit

i kinda thought apple would absorb the initial cost to do that for a bigger return later

:everythingok:

Lewie D Im Caramel Bitches Ion Wanna hear Im Actin
Different

∧ ∨ ∩ ∪

This is a great idea especially considering most of y'all/our faves aren't really selling shit and the writers and producers that create the songs need to be compensated. That's why everyone be so eager to work with Bey, Herp and artist of their caliber because they know they're gonna eat.

AIDS!

Herb.

Quote from: Nicholas_Styles on June 21, 2015, 04:01:28 PM
i understand that that and of COURSE she is saying that  NEW ARTIST! .. DESERVE TO BE PAID! NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!
ojhiogftduyiuiomohipguofyt :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop:

She could really be sincere though.

Taylor is not just some puppet artist, she's a songwriter as well.

Rod

Quote from: Francois Lite on June 21, 2015, 04:02:24 PM
Quote from: Rod on June 21, 2015, 03:57:22 PM

!!!

Artists nowadays aint making much money from their debut albums unless they're selling big like a Sam Smith and can sell out arenas and get endorsements. It's even worse now than Pebbles telling TLC they wont get paid until their second album.

I for one am happy she's taking a stand. Newer artists cant afford to do that cause they need the exposure.

Exactly, well said