Instagram is removing "likes" next week

Started by herbie, November 09, 2019, 08:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herbie

:thatssowendy:

Instagram Will Test Hiding 'Likes' in the US Starting Next Week

https://twitter.com/WIRED/status/1192962986224128005

If you post a picture, and no one sees how many people liked it, does it still exist? Instagram users in the United States are going to find out next week. Months after the company tested hiding "like" counts in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Ireland, Italy, and Brazil, CEO Adam Mosseri announced today at WIRED25 that some US Instagram users can expect their like counts to vanish from public view. The company will begin testing next week, at first rolling out the change to a limited number of accounts.

Instagram isn't the only company that is attempting to remove publicly available engagement metrics from their platform. Facebook (which owns Instagram), YouTube, and Twitter have all experimented with removing engagement metrics from their platforms. As WIRED previously reported, social media researchers have argued that when users tailor their content to whatever garners the most engagement (or outrage), the result is a radicalized environment that makes healthy, happy conversations almost impossible.

https://www.wired.com/story/instagram-hiding-likes-adam-mosseri-tracee-ellis-ross-wired25/

CHOKE

reekz

Cowgirl

November 09, 2019, 08:27:09 AM #5 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 08:27:27 AM by TinaSnow
Quote from: Niggerhontas on November 09, 2019, 08:22:44 AM
The users themselves will be able to see how many have liked their pics, etc......, but no one else will be able to see it

if I see people putting the number into their captions and mess just to make sure everyone knows imma really give up on society

sfsffsffsfs :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop: :plzstop:
mmcnxcncndddnjddjjddjdj

You know posts with screenshots are coming so you might as well give up now.

reekz

November 09, 2019, 08:29:29 AM #6 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 08:29:54 AM by r.
People work hard to gain followers and likes. I think a lot of people will leave because the fun will be gone.

Billboard charts and RIAA are next

BrokenHeartsHeal

The users themselves will be able to see how many have liked their pics, etc......, but no one else will be able to see it

if I see people putting the number into their captions and mess just to make sure everyone knows imma really give up on society

Every other photo now would be a pulsed check post on what their weekly photos hit. I can already see the gorls in action  :uhh:

Ulysses

I think what most people care about is people seeing how many followers they have rather than how many likes they get. They know better than to take away the opportunity to see how many followers someone has because then their shit would be over. But  I think removing the option of folks seeing your amount of followers is  the REAL way to accomplish what they SAY they are trying to accomplish....

reekz

Well it will show the people that liked the picture and viewed the video when you tap it but want show the amount. You will have to count them up yourself. 

TriBeCa

I predict multiple meltdowns and possibly worse.  :dead: Kids and plenty of adults are so fragile these days and can't handle shit like this. They're nobody without their likes.

Bentley. HARRIS!

sssssssssssssssss

I was just thinking that.

This is the way it should be tho. Come thru Instagram!

Alpha

I think ppl have the option to have likes seen or unseen

Bentley. HARRIS!

I remember when I found out how that mess works

That's when I stopped using social media on a leisurely way.

No way in hell im gonna keep checking back all day to see who has liked my picture.

I do foresee some suicides over the next month or so, but it's for the greater good