New Interview! BRANDY with ComplexMusic.com "for me, this song is the single"

Started by RekeRig, January 14, 2016, 04:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RekeRig

I tried my best to word the title in a way that wouldn't confuse anyone thinking new music is inside

It's a refreshing interview about music

http://www.complex.com/music/2016/01/brandy-interview-beggin-pleadin-chicago-zoe-ever-after

RekeRig

I'll post the music parts:

You've recently been juggling several professional commitments. What are you up to now?
I did Chicago for most of the summer. I stopped Chicago in August, and then I went to do my new television show, Zoe Ever After, in September. I did that for a couple months, had a little bit of time off, then came back with the show?and now, the song. For me, the song is the single. My first single back into the music scene. I?m so proud.

Do you already have a full project that you?re rolling out?
I?m working on it. This definitely was a kickoff to the new music. The song is just so different. It?s so passionate and edgy.

Who produced it?

Oak & Pop, Flippa, and a guy named Steve. Just really incredible producers. They were open-minded about the direction that I wanted to go in. Kirby Lauren is a great writer. She helped to tell the story that I was trying to tell on the song.

What sounds, and which other producers, are you gravitating toward?

I?m just tired of things sounding the same, trying to recreate songs that I?ve already done. I wanted to try something different and challenge myself vocally. Do something to really reflect my true emotions.

SouravMay

B7

RekeRig

Broadway aside, what new stuff are you listening to now that you're making new music of you're own?
"I'm bad with that. I don't really know what's out there right now. The things that I?ve heard all sound the same. Adele is out of the box, and her stuff connects, and her voice is powerful. Stuff like that stands out to me"

She may change her mind a lot but that's one thing she has ALWAYS said ddddddd she ain't playin ur faves shit album Lolz

AIDS!

I USE it for the first single
I think she's re-recorded the 'single' version for official release

RekeRig

You talked about being unhappy, and about breaking through unhappiness. Fans often romanticize sadness and depression as a wellspring for great music. Do you buy that at all? Do you relate?
"It depends on your track record. If that?s something that people have seen happen, and it?s a pattern, then you can see why people say that. But Pharrell was in a happy place when he made ?Happy,? and that went to the stratosphere.

When I?m honest in my music?when I?m completely honest in recording a song?it has always registered. For me, it?s when I wasn?t really connected to the songs or wasn?t really sure about what I was saying, or when I really didn?t like the song but did it anyway, is when I disconnected."

What?s your most honest song? One where, if we went back and listened to it right now, here at this table, you?d sit back and tell me, "Whew, boy, I was going through it!"
There?s a lot of those. Right now, I?d say it?s the new one, "Beggin & Pleadin." That song moves me. It?s honest, and I?m singing like it?s the last song I?m ever gonna sing. That?s how it sounds when I play it back.

How hard is it to be honest with yourself when you?re writing songs about love?
I don?t think it?s hard to be honest. I think it?s just hard to be a type of honest. It?s hard to tell the whole truth. You know? You?re telling the truth, but not the entire truth. It?s hard to break through and just say everything. I think that?s what?s hard.

You want to keep something for the vault. That?s where you start to question whether you want people in your business like that. You don?t want to be judged. You don?t want to care about what people think. You don?t want to get human. But, once you get over that, you just tell the truth.

If you gave me studio equipment and told me to sing about my exes, I would lie. All my exes would be wrong.
Music is therapeutic. You have to be honest. You are the artist, and that?s the way you get through stuff. For me, the highest expression is to sing what I?m going through. You know other people are also going through it, so it?s relatable in a way that the person who hears you doesn?t feel alone. And then you (the singer) don?t feel alone.

Have you heard my song?

RekeRig

Yes.
What did you think?

It?s different.
Be honest.

I like Two Eleven, and "Beggin & Pleadin" is very different from that. There?s a lot going on with that beat. It was hard for me to take that, as the single, and imagine what an album built around that might sound like. I kept thinking about it, though, and the song held my imagination for a moment.
That?s a good thing for me.

I had that experience recently with Mike WiLL Made-It, who made a song for Young Thug called ?Pacifier.? I like to think of it as a Maroon 5 single with trap booms.

So it?s hard for you to accept change.

But six months later...

?you love it. So I?ve got a chance. I?ll give you three weeks.

MAY

She sounds inspired. I'm HERE for that. I can't wait to hear the rest of the music from this era.

GLOCK

Quote from: RIG on January 14, 2016, 04:29:20 PM
Broadway aside, what new stuff are you listening to now that you're making new music of you're own?
"I'm bad with that. I don't really know what's out there right now. The things that I?ve heard all sound the same. Adele is out of the box, and her stuff connects, and her voice is powerful. Stuff like that stands out to me"

She may change her mind a lot but that's one thing she has ALWAYS said ddddddd she ain't playin ur faves shit album Lolz
!!!
Especially when she's doing her mess
Rememebr she said she didn't like doing that because she doesn't want to copy or be inspired by anyone

Omff  fuck is about to happ'?
:'(