Dr Naomi Campbell

They get privilege from it as well as experience it and also usually enforce it
Imo

Kaeli.

Quote from: Jayda X on July 12, 2020, 11:05:41 AM
They get privilege from it as well as experience it and also usually enforce it
Imo
i agree with this.

I feel like light skinned people experience it as well but to a much lesser extent. I.e being called weak or feminine (for men)

CHOKE

What is colorism

Let me look it up a bit 

CHOKE

I mean yeah within our own race

But who cares if a dark skin girl don't like u

:plzstop:

Freemala Harris

Quote from: menace to da hood ✊🏾🐺 on July 12, 2020, 11:07:06 AM
people can experience prejudice.

"she must think she cute huh"

"she aint all that! dont know why she think she is! tuh!"

"she's a BITCH. i don't like her."

meanwhile, that person hasn't spoken one word to them. sfsfsfsfssfsf

yea

Hurting your feelings/being ignorant =/= a system of oppresion

aye don't see darker skinned folks having the systematic power (ie systematic racism & white ppl) to literally oppress you

Whereas colorism is rooted in white supremacy and eurocentric beauty standards (the closer to white = better, brown paper bag test, skin bleaching, etc) aka a system imo

Dr Naomi Campbell

Quote from: menace to da hood ✊🏾🐺 on July 12, 2020, 11:16:47 AM
!

it's always sad to see someone who looks like wesley snipes walking around calling people darkies.
jejjdjdjd I remember in secondary school, it was ALWAYS dark skinned boys calling the dark skinned girls out for being dark
Some of us used to sit there confused...
Ummm but you know you're dark too right?
  :shannonsmissing:

"Yh! BuT she'S dArker"!
:receipts:

Bitch the white kids must've been so damn confused
:damselindistress:

Freemala Harris

July 12, 2020, 11:26:20 AM #7 Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:26:45 AM by Free Sawayama

Coined the "paper bag test," this criterion was used for decades to determine the degree of privilege granted to individual African-Americans all over the United States.

The test was once a notable example of a once-common form of prejudice. Access to social events, jobs, clubs, and schools was often determined by a person's complexion. According to Georgetown sociology professor Michael Eric Dyson, "New Orleans invented the brown paper bag party %u2014 usually at a gathering in a home %u2014 where anyone darker than the bag attached to the door was denied entrance.

"This form of prejudice is not merely an abstract historical construct; many individuals, still alive today, remember vividly the effects of what is now called "colorism," or bias against people with darker skin. For a first-hand account, I spoke to my grandmother, Evelyn Porter, about her experiences as a young African-American woman in Savannah, Georgia in the mid-twentieth century. She told me that "one of the restauranst I can remember... not far from the old courthouse... would advertise for waitresses, and they would have 'light-skinned only.'"

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/education/examining-paper-bag-test-evolved-article-1.2844394

Vonc2002

July 12, 2020, 11:26:52 AM #8 Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:27:26 AM by Vonc2002
I don't agree. There are actually "light skin problems" too.  And because some black people are so fucked and mentally enslaved,  those problems are often times at the hand of darker melanated black people.  I've NEVER got the color thing but I guess that's because my household is made up of lighter to darker complexions.  My father is "fair skinned" and there was no "u cuter cause u light" shit in my home.  I feel for people with those kinda issues and insecurities
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Vonc2002

that's the other side of colorism IMO.
YUP! U ain't black ENOUGH! And all that shit
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Dr Naomi Campbell

Quote from: menace to da hood ✊🏾🐺 on July 12, 2020, 11:26:19 AM
Quote from: Jayda X on July 12, 2020, 11:20:32 AM
Quote from: menace to da hood ✊🏾🐺 on July 12, 2020, 11:16:47 AM
!

it's always sad to see someone who looks like wesley snipes walking around calling people darkies.
jejjdjdjd I remember in secondary school, it was ALWAYS dark skinned boys calling the dark skinned girls out for being dark
Some of us used to sit there confused...
Ummm but you know you're dark too right?
  :shannonsmissing:

"Yh! BuT she'S dArker"!
:receipts:

Bitch the white kids must've been so damn confused
:damselindistress:
ultimately i feel bad for people like that cuz clearly they've internalized something very toxic

and the whole skin color thing is so subjective and relative in many cases

one may be the "lightest" in their family so they're called "light skin" by family members
but may walk aside and have people looking like :udontlookok: once they identify themselves as such

same for "darker" people.

then we have the whole Starbucks color coding system
all sorts of mochachinnos, and fraps, and hints of caramel, two teaspoons of milk, etc.
msskskdjdkdkj
The whole Starbucks colour code mess stems from cosmetic colours names  for POC
I've only seen Lew refer to himself as caramel crunch or whatever the fuck it is  :dead:

Dr Naomi Campbell

Well I'm a French coffee with a splash of diary milk milked from cows that live in the golden fields in Italy which only graze on caviar and champagne brought in on jets from Dubai

RAY7

colorism isnt exactly the same as racism, so i say yes lights can be victims
its much less often though

Lane Bryant Jumpsuit

Quote from: Free Sawayama on July 12, 2020, 11:15:06 AM

yea

Hurting your feelings/being ignorant =/= a system of oppresion

aye don't see darker skinned folks having the systematic power (ie systematic racism & white ppl) to literally oppress you

Whereas colorism is rooted in white supremacy and eurocentric beauty standards (the closer to white = better, brown paper bag test, skin bleaching, etc) aka a system imo

Thats iust dark insecurity speaking

Black ppul of all shades experience colorism

Unless they are white passing

Its on both sides

Lewie D Im Caramel Bitches Ion Wanna hear Im Actin
Different

Bentley. HARRIS!

Quote from: Kaeli. on July 12, 2020, 11:04:07 AM
https://twitter.com/wayvjordan/status/1282131926095200256

I disagree personally but I'd love to see what u guys think
Yea I disagree wholeheartedly (and honestly, I feel like anybody who thinks this way is a monkey)

Do they not know that Homer Plessy in Plessy v Ferguson was 1/8 black?!!  :uhh:

like ... blacks didn't make the one drop rule, whites did!

I hate when sooty niggers that hate the fact they resemble a heap of TAR create more division by being envious and hateful. Love your charcoal skin, lotion it, and keep it beautiful, maybe you wouldn't hate light skin