Lizzo Explains How Body Poz Aims To Dismantle A System That Oppresses Fat People

Started by Freemala Harris, April 14, 2021, 06:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freemala Harris

Though Lizzo has been fairly inactive on her Twitter page over the last year, the singer has been using TikTok to connect with fans, give insight into her personal life, and use her platform to spread awareness about the body positivity movement. In the past, the singer has detailed how hateful comments have affected her body image and now, Lizzo shares what she believes is the real goal of the body positivity movement.

Lizzo explains how the body positivity movement isn't just about body acceptance, but it also recognizes how some people can be discriminated against in healthcare and the workplace because of their size.

Responded to a user who asked their followers if they would "trade places with someone who was on the heavier side," Lizzo expanded on the question:

"If I asked you right now, 'Have you been shamed?' Yes, you've been through a lot, yes, it sucks being a person in this society because we have to go through so much to love ourselves. But would you switch places with a fat person's body tomorrow? You would not because you know there's a whole system that oppresses fat people that you do not experience that you will never experience. So let's remember body positivity. Yes, we want to end harassment and shame, but we also are working to dismantle a system that oppresses fat people."

https://www.lovebscott.com/lizzo-explains-body-positivity-movement-aims-dismantle-system-oppresses-fat-people-video

https://www.tiktok.com/@lizzo/video/6949954690947812613?referer_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lovebscott.com%2F&referer_video_id=6949954690947812613&refer=embed

Go awf quee

Edge gorl

vfdccsd

gorl...
im prett' sure most ppl dnt wanna be in UR place cuz tht dnt want they belly overlappin tha jean strap!

shante smith

not oppression

fat isn't an identity

its not a race, its not a sexual orientation

its a substance that accumulates in ur bahvey that comes and goes with lifestyle changes

absolutely nothing wrong with self love cuz u must luv yourself to want better for urself
but just be realistic.

people dont realize how much POWER they give to "fat".

'ology

Blessed Be The Mufuckin Fruit!!!

Jon

You can't change your race but you can change your weight for the most part even by a few pounds. She's right about doctors though, once your bmi is a a certain level they really attribute every complaint you have to your weight.

jtwoeleven

Not saying that people should be shamed for being overweight, but...it is a state of being, not a moniker of personhood.

Kaeli.

This stupid fat black bitch

Fat people aren't oppressed. I'm sorry. You chose to eat your fat ass into cardiac arrest and high cholesterol. 

oh! But I have to pay for 2 plane seats! More fabric! 

um yea... cus you're fat as fuck maybe? :udontlookok: 

Zankou.

Quote from: Jonovan on April 14, 2021, 09:33:42 PM
You can't change your race but you can change your weight for the most part even by a few pounds. She's right about doctors though, once your bmi is a a certain level they really attribute every complaint you have to your weight.

Well being overweight definitely does cause A LOT of different issues. Ask bow

shante smith

This video ....

Lizzo should really be ashamed of herself

To directly compare the mistreatment of and generational oppression of black people (which includes slavery, lynchings, lack of voting rights , and more recent police killings) to this whole fat oppression thing she is pushing

Shame on her . I'm sure there's a ton of white people giving her a high five on this bullshit. They LOVE comparing everything to Black struggle. Everything.

You can make your statement without throwing Black people into your mouth .

Kalifornia.

I know the White folks are just eating this up.

"...but Lizzo said!"

I hope they're roasting this bitch for this dumb ass shit.

Cowboy Nine