Official Billboard Awards Thread - Brandy Medley including songs from b7

Started by Brandy's Unconditional Ocean, October 14, 2020, 06:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

brocka4life

Quote from: Bigmacthawoppa on October 18, 2020, 09:44:10 AM
Quote from: Jayda X on October 18, 2020, 09:28:09 AM
Quote from: Bigmacthawoppa on October 15, 2020, 04:52:47 PM
Though this commitment to the mental institution/straight jacket/crazy gorl! aesthetic is ignorant and corny af and I blame Frank GAYson.

:hmph:
well it fits with the song
Did you want another long flowy gown or a plain old beyonce dance leotard?

It's an archaic representation of mental illness so I'd prefer a different visual altogether since it's late af. The repeated use of schizo throughout the song is ignorant as well though none of y'all seem to be woke about that.

:dead: 

Annie

Quote from: Bigmacthawoppa on October 18, 2020, 09:44:10 AM
Quote from: Jayda X on October 18, 2020, 09:28:09 AM
Quote from: Bigmacthawoppa on October 15, 2020, 04:52:47 PM
Though this commitment to the mental institution/straight jacket/crazy gorl! aesthetic is ignorant and corny af and I blame Frank GAYson.

:hmph:
well it fits with the song
Did you want another long flowy gown or a plain old beyonce dance leotard?

It's an archaic representation of mental illness so I'd prefer a different visual altogether since it's late af. The repeated use of schizo throughout the song is ignorant as well though none of y'all seem to be woke about that.

I think there should be freedom in art but also there should be room for criticism and discussion. And I've seen a reddit by someone with BP and the comments were not that great. The question is if she is adding or taking away from the stigma. Mental health is already a difficult topic, negative stereotypes will prevent people from getting help. Yes you can add contact info for help but still is this the right visual approach? I wasn't even bothered by for example Tupac's Photoshoot because it was very symbolic. I could see an artist like FKA twigs make it very symbolic/fictional/conceptual and turn it into personal artpiece that doesn't try to tell so much about a whole group of people.

/.\

Annie

Bran's project is making statements about mental health and adding a psa (feels more close to reality). If you want to release songs with words like Bipolar, Borderline, schizo, retarded (not just one song but multiple songs about different disorders) you really need to be careful. It is cool if you had a diagnosis but using it multiple times as a concept I don't know. She is making big statements so i think it is normal to have questions about this, it is not to attack Bran. I know she has good intentions. (I hope one day she could release a book so we could learn more about her journey.)

And I think a big problem when it comes to the vid is probably a Frank who doesn't really know how to find a good balance, the right tone. The Medusa braids were a nice detail to tell more without the obvious choices like a padded room. I wished they did more with that. You don't have to show a mental ward to show 'crazy', it is very literal. A missed opportunity imo. But anyways a lot of people seem to love the concept so i guess people don't take the video too serious.

/.\

Annie

I love this new version of Almost doesn't count. Ahh she could just rerelease some of her old songs for an anniversary thing, I know people would love it. Amazing how she reinvents these songs time after time.

/.\

brocka4life

Quote from: Annie on October 18, 2020, 11:09:37 AM
Bran's project is making statements about mental health and adding a psa (feels more close to reality). If you want to release songs with words like Bipolar, Borderline, schizo, retarded (not just one song but multiple songs about different disorders) you really need to be careful. It is cool if you had a diagnosis but using it multiple times as a concept I don't know. She is making big statements so i think it is normal to have questions about this, it is not to attack Bran. I know she has good intentions. (I hope one day she could release a book so we could learn more about her journey.)

And I think a big problem when it comes to the vid is probably a Frank who doesn't really know how to find a good balance, the right tone. The Medusa braids were a nice detail to tell more without the obvious choices like a padded room. I wished they did more with that. You don't have to show a mental ward to show 'crazy', it is very literal. A missed opportunity imo. But anyways a lot of people seem to love the concept so i guess people don't take the video too serious.

I get what you're saying.

Most people saw the padded room as literal, I saw it as a symbol of something else. But I definitely get it. And it's always tricky when putting this kind of stuff in art. Especially art that's being sold.

In the context of knowing some of Brandy's story, and the fact that she's close to people like Jenifer Lewis who is very vocal about her bipolar disorder and people getting help, I don't think Brandy meant anything disrespectful with it.

Bigmacthawoppa

I agree I don't think it was intentionally disrespectful (Brandy's not like that, she's a kind person). Honestly, I think if she had a creative director who wasn't ANCIENT and more with the times then this concept would have been approached with more tact and nuance.

brocka4life

Quote from: Bigmacthawoppa on October 18, 2020, 11:34:14 AM
I agree I don't think it was intentionally disrespectful (Brandy's not like that, she's a kind person). Honestly, I think if she had a creative director who wasn't ANCIENT and more with the times then this concept would have been approached with more tact and nuance.

:dead:

Vonc2002

Please stfu :dead:
Brandy is entitled to her thoughts and her experience.  If that's what she felt she was going thru and these things are what she likened it to then so fckn be it.  She doesn't owe anyone a fckn explanation or have to justify her feelings. People will look for a way to be offended. And her using padded walls and straight jackets aren't some antiquated, archaic symbol of being off your rocker. That's what we THE GENERAL PUBLIC still associate with being fckn crazy. A video is supposed to put imagery to the music and the images she used let us know RIGHT AWAY what the song and message was. Should we start policing these fictional ass movies and television shows that use the exact same imagery? This white corny fag has been on a rampage for months. :dead:
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Bigmacthawoppa

Well count yourself as one of the ignorant masses then. Just because you THINK you feel a certain way doesn't mean shit if you haven't actually lived with that experience. Therefore, it's her interpretation of something she doesn't truly understand. You can't with any authority say "I feel so schizo right now" if you haven't lived with schizophrenia. It would be your interpretation on what it feels like to be schizophrenic. It's not that hard to understand but apparently a struggle for you.

brocka4life

Quote from: Vonc2002 on October 18, 2020, 11:52:13 AM
Please stfu :dead:
Brandy is entitled to her thoughts and her experience.  If that's what she felt she was going thru and these things are what she likened it to then so fckn be it.  She doesn't owe anyone a fckn explanation or have to justify her feelings. People will look for a way to be offended. And her using padded walls and straight jackets aren't some antiquated, archaic symbol of being off your rocker. That's what we THE GENERAL PUBLIC still associate with being fckn crazy. A video is supposed to put imagery to the music and the images she used let us know RIGHT AWAY what the song and message was. Should we start policing these fictional ass movies and television shows that use the exact same imagery? This white corny fag has been on a rampage for months. :dead:

:omf:

BORderline

113K likes vs 3K dislikes on Youtube
I don't think the general audience see anything wrong with Borderline. 

BTW, Borderline reached a new peak in audience today with 4.3 million.

brocka4life

Quote from: Bigmacthawoppa on October 18, 2020, 12:03:17 PM
Well count yourself as one of the ignorant masses then. Just because you THINK you feel a certain way doesn't mean shit if you haven't actually lived with that experience. Therefore, it's her interpretation of something she doesn't truly understand. You can't say "I feel so schizo right now" if you haven't lived with schizophrenia. It would be your interpretation on what it feels like to be schizophrenic. It's not that hard to understand but apparently a struggle for you.

Do you know whether or not Brandy or a person close to her has schizophrenia?

It's funny how white people sing bout this stuff and use this imagery often, and nobody says anything is wrong with it. But when Brandy does it, people pound their keyboards all day.  :dead:

Vonc2002

Quote from: BORderline on October 18, 2020, 12:04:18 PM
113K likes vs 3K dislikes on Youtube
I don't think the general audience see anything wrong with Borderline.

BTW, Borderline reached a new peak in audience today with 4.3 million.
Period! Aint nobody concerned with sensitive, corny white people. Because I guarantee u IF ANYONE, that's who's up in arms. Just look at the 2 who commented on that in here :dead: