Tyler Perry Says He?s Ending ?Madea? Character in 2019

Started by Lazarus, October 31, 2018, 10:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

Since debuting in 1999, Tyler Perry?s Madea character has appeared in dozens of films, plays, and television appearances. But in 2019, exactly 20 years after audiences first met the tough-talking grandmother, Perry is taking off the makeup and wig once and for all.

The filmmaker will do a farewell stage tour and 2019?s ?Tyler Perry?s a Madea Family Funeral? to say goodbye to his iconic character.

?I?m happy to kill that old bitch, I?m tired, man,? Perry said on Bevy Smith?s SiriusXM show ?Bevelations? on Monday. ?I just don?t want to be her age, playing her.?

He also said on the program that his team finished shooting the film two years ago, but wanted to stagger its release following 2016 and 2017?s Madea Halloween films. Perry also wanted to focus on other projects like ?Acrimony,? released earlier this year, and ?Nobody?s Fool,? which will be out Nov. 2. Both movies were written and directed by Perry.

Spanning 10 installments, the Madea film franchise has garnered more than $500 million worldwide. Madea was first introduced in Perry?s 1999 play ?I Can Do Bad All By Myself.? He has said she was based on his own mother, as well as Eddie Murphy?s performance in ?Nutty Professor II: The Klumps.? The character is known to use comical and vulgar language, and has a litany of criminal offenses, which was especially highlighted in 2009?s ?Madea Goes to Jail.?

Perry didn?t reveal if the funeral in the upcoming film would be for Madea herself, and the movie poster shows the character with her head down wearing mourning attire. The film will also mark the last collaboration between Perry and Lionsgate. Perry has signed a deal with Viacom that will see him producing content across television, film, and short-form video platforms.

ton

African Queen

Young

Not Madea being worth 500 million

Who else

He?s crazy. She can appear here and there.

Young

He definitely ran her into the ground since she came out

But who else is he gonna be? Or is he transitioning to just a behind the camera mess

Young

Quote from: Bering Strait on October 31, 2018, 11:21:07 AM
Quote from: Young on October 31, 2018, 11:16:38 AM

But who else is he gonna be? Or is he transitioning to just a behind the camera mess
Judging by this article, I think he's going to focus on movies which may be less comedic in nature.

Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to it. I fucking love King - whether it's his comedic mess or more serious teas....he always manages to reel me in.

May find more tea to add to my lil collection.  :scrumptious:

I love him too!
I definitely love what he's done for the community.
Essentially he kinda kept our culture alive a bit when we weren't getting opportunities for some time.

All the shows and mainstream movies.

He's legend.

Ive been a fan since '99

Gilgamesh.

I can?t blame him. Don?t no 40+ year old man wanna be running around in a girdle and cheap wigs, unless your Jacob Kohinoor or something :dead:

His legacy is already set. Don?t think this will effect his business much.

Young

Quote from: Bering Strait on October 31, 2018, 11:30:47 AM
Quote from: Young on October 31, 2018, 11:24:00 AM
Quote from: Bering Strait on October 31, 2018, 11:21:07 AM
Quote from: Young on October 31, 2018, 11:16:38 AM

Judging by this article, I think he's going to focus on movies which may be less comedic in nature.

Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to it. I fucking love King - whether it's his comedic mess or more serious teas....he always manages to reel me in.

May find more tea to add to my lil collection.  :scrumptious:

I love him too!
I definitely love what he's done for the community.
Essentially he kinda kept our culture alive a bit when we weren't getting opportunities for some time.

All the shows and mainstream movies.

He's legend.

Ive been a fan since '99
Right -

He was giving opportunities to Black actors before the whole "Empire" and "Blackish" and "Black Panther" era changed things up a bit.

At a time where there weren't many places to go if you wanted to see a Black person as a lead in a movie

He's King.  :oof:

>>><<<

Buy The Stars✨

Quote from: Bering Strait on October 31, 2018, 11:13:58 AM
This King. :scrumptious:

I think he's probably noticed the interest or revenue she's bringing in has declined. Otherwise I'm sure he would have kept Madea around.

She had an amazing run but it's time for Queen to say bye bye.

I don't think he's ever fought what made him successful. If anything he managed to remain so consistent with it that people (his critics) began asking when he'd get rid of Madea. lol.

!!!!

This man is everything.  He came from nothing and now look at him.  He got his own studio mess in Atlanta that big shows shoot their TV shows. 
I have never understood the hate for him at all. Black, successful and puts other black actors on.  Even gave brandy a role lolz.

I think she will he gone for awhile but he may bring her back.

Cowboy Nine

Freemala Harris

I'm surprised Madea has still been going strong

With the times, I thought Madea would have been think pieced into extinction ages ago.

Young

Quote from: Lazarus on October 31, 2018, 10:59:33 AM
Since debuting in 1999, Tyler Perry?s Madea character has appeared in dozens of films, plays, and television appearances. But in 2019, exactly 20 years after audiences first met the tough-talking grandmother, Perry is taking off the makeup and wig once and for all.

The filmmaker will do a farewell stage tour and 2019?s ?Tyler Perry?s a Madea Family Funeral? to say goodbye to his iconic character.

?I?m happy to kill that old bitch, I?m tired, man,? Perry said on Bevy Smith?s SiriusXM show ?Bevelations? on Monday. ?I just don?t want to be her age, playing her.?

He also said on the program that his team finished shooting the film two years ago, but wanted to stagger its release following 2016 and 2017?s Madea Halloween films. Perry also wanted to focus on other projects like ?Acrimony,? released earlier this year, and ?Nobody?s Fool,? which will be out Nov. 2. Both movies were written and directed by Perry.

Spanning 10 installments, the Madea film franchise has garnered more than $500 million worldwide. Madea was first introduced in Perry?s 1999 play ?I Can Do Bad All By Myself.? He has said she was based on his own mother, as well as Eddie Murphy?s performance in ?Nutty Professor II: The Klumps.? The character is known to use comical and vulgar language, and has a litany of criminal offenses, which was especially highlighted in 2009?s ?Madea Goes to Jail.?

Perry didn?t reveal if the funeral in the upcoming film would be for Madea herself, and the movie poster shows the character with her head down wearing mourning attire. The film will also mark the last collaboration between Perry and Lionsgate. Perry has signed a deal with Viacom that will see him producing content across television, film, and short-form video platforms.

The trailer looks cute

My husbands in it and I love that he out the choir boy in there ddd

https://www.facebook.com/262311373860648/posts/1958127887612313/