Veronica Vega Discusses Her Use Of The N-Word

Started by Freemala Harris, February 16, 2018, 04:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUGO

Quote from: Nine on February 16, 2018, 09:17:44 AM
So do you guys let non-blacks call you nigga?

Just curious.

I personally wouldn?t and I don?t think they would ... but I?ve heard middle eastern ppl uses it towards each other and I had to give them the side eye. Even whypipo who ?wanna be dow?  use it towards each other BUT they probably know better to say that shy in front of a black person

Gilgamesh.

Quote from: AYR on February 16, 2018, 09:15:26 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh. on February 16, 2018, 09:04:23 AM
Quote from: Poseidon on February 16, 2018, 08:57:22 AM
Well they lashed tf outta J. Lo when she said it. But then nobody cared about Angie Martinez.

I think it's more about culture than race at this point.

J.Lo only aligned herself with Black artists for personal gain - Murder Inc was like the hottest able at the time. SO her using it seems disingenuous.

Angie, Joe etc have always been a part of the "culture"
well J Lo was a ?Flyy Girl? on In Living Color before all of that
she?s definitely part of the culture ppl just wanna be fake woke and angry sometimes

I agree with you and Af' to a point.

I'm not saying she hasn't earned her stripes, tbh even her early music was urban. But when she dropped the n bomb it seemed more like, "hey i'm ghetto too guys! lolz!" I can def see why people were taken aback :everythingok:

ya rock muh world.

February 16, 2018, 09:35:12 AM #17 Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:36:37 AM by southside bred.
Yeah J-Lo was more of a pop girl so it was rare that she'd step into "Jenny from the Block" mode. But kwee made sure to remind people that she knows her roots. :butwait!:
I'm all for a gor who reps the hood. (If they're actually from the hood :udontlookok: )

GOD-lo from the Bronx >>>

This Veronica Vega girl's music sucks ass and is just try hard in general. Not even on a culture tip, just overall. The song sucks.

Divination

I refuse to give that word any energy tbh.
I hate the fake outrage tho.
I don't care bout Hispanics using it.
Simply because I don't use it myself in my day-to-day,day.
[instagram]
[/instagram]

ssw4919

She sounds stupid.  She doesn't get to say it.

Kaeli.

LOONA.

Just curious.

Yeah really weird to me.

I barely hear other black people say it to me. The word isn't really in my vocabulary unless I'm singing a song.

Def not about to let a non black say it to me.     

D.I.E.G.O.

The idea of giving certain people from certain places who record certain types of music passes to use the n-word word puzzles me. Do you have to present a W2, gas bill and submit photos with black friends to get a free pass? Plea  :overit:

Marilyn

ya rock muh world.

It's a geographical thing.

If someone lives in Ohio I see why they don't get it and wouldn't "allow" a "non-Black" to use the word.
In areas like that, there's usually only White or Black people. A lot of Latinos are of mixed heritage.

Fat Joe could say he's just a light skinned Black man and no one would even blink twice about it.
His features. Clearly has Black in him.

And he could have a brother or sister with the same two parents and looks "White".
So that's where I say it's all about where you come from .

If you're not from the hood don't pretend like you are.
And I usually can tell when someone's a poser. Especially when they tell me where they're from.

Rxxf

Quote from: southside bred. on February 16, 2018, 09:13:40 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh. on February 16, 2018, 09:04:23 AM
Quote from: Poseidon on February 16, 2018, 08:57:22 AM
Well they lashed tf outta J. Lo when she said it. But then nobody cared about Angie Martinez.

I think it's more about culture than race at this point.

J.Lo only aligned herself with Black artists for personal gain - Murder Inc was like the hottest able at the time. SO her using it seems disingenuous.

Angie, Joe etc have always been a part of the "culture"
I don't agree. J Lo's from the Bronx - and she pointed out she lived (in that vidya where the old man couldn't figure out who she was  :dead: :dead: ) She was def from the hood.

Castle Hill area of the BX has a mixture of Blacks and Latinos living among one another.

Puerto Ricans don't even have to apply for a pass here. They share the same space a lot of times, and many of them are clearly people of color, so they experience a lot of the same mess.

J-Lo is generally a pop artist so there's really no need for her to be using profanity at every twist and turn..which is why we didn't hear the "n" word a lot from her.

Just because Angie and Fat Joe are rappers instead of singers doesn't give them more of a right IMO. That's the only difference. It's all about where you come from. You can take someone out of the hood  and "polish" them up a bit. Doesn't mean that they're not from the hood.

That video always tears me up!!!
:kii:
BRANDY

D.I.E.G.O.

February 16, 2018, 11:10:12 AM #26 Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:21:14 AM by \dē-ˈā-gō\
Everyone is of mixed heritage, 'fro. I get what you're saying, but the argument becomes a slippery slope in that regard. I definitely think geography plays a big part in it though. Everyone in NY is a nigger tbh

MAY

I've noticed a lot of Mexicans & other Latinos here in Cali use it a lot when speaking to each other.

They basically use it the same way as Black folks.

GLOCK

February 16, 2018, 11:15:02 AM #28 Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:17:06 AM by glock
Didn?t she say her grandmother is black?
Why did this make it pass the first page

Black folks be yelling about the wrong shit.. ?oh used the n word?

Yet they sit up comparing skin complexions, calling folks nappy headed, shooting each other up and mess..

Save it :dead:

Rxxf

February 16, 2018, 11:15:17 AM #29 Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:17:55 AM by ᚱʌ𐤋ϝ

Just curious.

My friends who are spanish, yes. It was more so growing up, though.
We all called EACH OTHER the "n" word. (i.e., "What's good my, n".) :dead: But this was during the late 90s, early 00's.
We don't even use the "n" word like that now, like AT ALL.  It's not even a part of our vocab.  :dead:  It was just phased out, more diverse circle of friends (who wouldn't DARE try it  :ummwhat:, etc.)

BRANDY