Some Pregnant Women in New York City Will Have to Deliver Babies Alone

Started by HUGO, March 26, 2020, 12:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HUGO

QuoteWomen giving birth at two leading New York City hospital networks are being told they must labor without spouses, partners or doulas by their side — leaving the expectant mothers anxious and frightened about their upcoming deliveries.

The New York City hospital network NewYork-Presbyterian on Monday instituted one of the most restrictive visitor policies in the country for women giving birth, barring spouses, partners and other family members or outside support people, such as doulas, from the delivery room — a rule it said would help protect mothers and children during the coronavirus outbreak.

And on Monday night, Mt. Sinai Health System announced it would also bar partners and other visitors from its labor and delivery rooms, beginning on Tuesday.

"We do not take this decision lightly, but these are unprecedented times that require unprecedented steps to protect our patients, their families and their new babies," Lucia Lee, a spokeswoman for Mt. Sinai, said in a statement.

The new rules at NewYork-Presbyterian network, where about 15,000 infants are delivered each year, started two days after the New York State Department of Health issued guidance stating that one support person could be in the delivery room during the coronavirus outbreak because a support person was "essential to patient care throughout labor, delivery and the immediate postpartum period."

The state said the support person must be asymptomatic for Covid-19 and should be screened for any symptoms, with their temperature checked before they enter the labor and delivery floor.

Pregnant women here say they are increasingly on edge as they prepare to deliver a baby in a region that has become the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the United States at a time when very little is known about how the disease affects an expectant mother or her unborn child.

"I have so much anxiety now and literally have not stopped crying after hearing that my husband can't be with me," said Samantha Moshen, 37, who is due in early June and plans to deliver at the Weill Cornell Medical Center, part of the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital system. "I haven't been able to sleep. I've just been a mess." Moshen, a prekindergarten teacher in Manhattan, said she nearly underwent an emergency C-section with the birth of her first child, a boy who is now 4, and the experience has made her fearful that something may go wrong during her second delivery.
"I was so scared — I had no idea what to do," she said, recalling how her heart rate suddenly dropped along with her son's during her first birth, prompting a team of doctors to rush into the room. She ended up delivering vaginally.  Although some doctors and hospitals told patients that they could have virtual visits from loved ones or doulas via technology like FaceTime, that offered little comfort to Moshen, who said she wanted her husband physically in the room with her.

Other women echoed the same sentiment.

"Nothing beats having the support and the love and the touch of the person you care about, that you're creating this new family with," said Laura Halzack, 38, who is nearly 36 weeks pregnant and will also be delivering at the Weill Cornell Medical Center.

"I grew up in a generation of women where having a partner with you is a big part of everyone's birth story," said Halzack, a dance teacher who also works in development for an arts organization. "That's a moment that doesn't happen again."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/parenting/coronavirus-labor-birth.html

how u let him cheat

anxious! frightened!

giro they right outside... just STANDING there like they woulda been doing. shut up and push

:disgusted:
then take him back? must be yo only nigga.