Official Queens on ABC thread!! (Queens Finale Tonight)

Started by b7, September 10, 2021, 10:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demetri La Robyn 🤴🏾

Thee Robyn [Queen Bitch] Dixon

The Green Eyed Bitches Foreva 💚💚💚

Walking through like you're that girl, When you know you're not that Girl! Try again, Try again!

People Tune In To see Stars.I'm a Star.I steal the Show- Demetrius

RenRen986

Reviews coming In:

It is never not going to be weird that in the space of six months, two different TV shows about '90s girl groups reuniting premiered on two different platforms. But while the Tina Fey-produced comedy Girls5Eva might have come out first, the new ABC series Queens, starring Eve, Brandy Norwood, Nadine Velazquez, and Naturi Naughton has a real shot at making a name for itself not just in this tiny new subgenre, but in the crowded mishmash of television today.

Marking the first time I think I've ever heard the word "poonani" rapped repeatedly in a broadcast drama, the Queens pilot is entitled "1999" but is really about life 22 years after hip-hop girl group the Nasty Bitches were the toast of MTV. After splitting up early into said fame, the four members went their separate ways: Brianna (Eve) becoming a harried mother of five, Naomi (Norwood) attempting to go acoustic and also reconnect with her estranged daughter, Valeria (Velazquez) scrambling to get a foothold as a morning show host, and Jill (Naughton) trying to be happy as a good Christian woman with a good Christian husband.

The pilot proves pretty efficient at establishing all that backstory, — though there's plenty left to be explored, once the girls are reunited for a potential opportunity to close out the BET Awards by Lil Muffin (Pepi Sonuga), a much younger emcee who reminds all of them of what it was like, to be caught up in the thick of the industry in their prime. That reunion isn't without at least one full-bodied tackle, as the Nasty Bitches broke up in pretty dramatic fashion. But while all of these women are living very different lives today, they all need something more — and this reunion might be just what they need.

queens-cast-abc-social-featured
Image via ABC
It's not the first time Eve's led a show and she's the steady rock that Queens needs, balancing comedy and drama nimbly. But each one of the other women make equal contributions to the action, with storylines that promise to deliver plenty of future narratives. The challenge, of course, will be keeping everything in balance along with the former Nasty Bitches planning their comeback. (While it's not fully covered in the pilot, step one is apparently changing the group's name, which probably is for the best.)

Just having Eve and Brandy in this cast is enough to sit up and pay attention, but every performer shows up to play: After seeing Velazquez as a supporting player in My Name Is Earl and The League, where she was always sharp with a quip but character-wise largely reduced to "the hot girl," it's deeply satisfying to see her play a character here whose storyline has nothing to do with her relationship to men.

RELATED: ABC's 'Queens' Claim Their Throne in New Poster

Also, believe it or not, but these women are fantastic rappers and performers — okay, that's hardly a surprise, as the only one who wasn't an established musical artist is Velazquez, and she holds her own against the other living legends. There's not a lot of original music featured in the first episode, but the key track, "Nasty Girl," is (as the kids say today) fire, and I'm genuinely excited for the additional original music to come from series music producer Swizz Beatz.

Overall, there is a lot packed into this pilot, but creator Zahir McGhee and director Tim Story do an admirable job of keeping it all balanced, along with just enough of a hook to make us want to see more. (Also, Story draws elegantly upon his own experience as a music video director from that era to add some wonderfully authentic flare to the sequences which deserve it.) Most importantly, whenever possible they remember what might be the most important thing: to put the music front and center. There's nothing like watching talented people do what they do best, and on that basis alone, Queens may become addictive viewing for longtime fans of the stars, as well as newcomers to the scene.

Queens premieres October 19 on ABC

https://collider.com/queens-review-eve-brandy-abc-why-its-good/amp/

RenRen986

I hope you're not offended by the "b" word because you're going to hear it a lot in the premiere of ABC's new drama Queens. The show focuses on four hip hop artists who formed the group Nasty B*itches (NB going forward) and were the queens of the genre in the late 90s and early aughts, but have been living very different lives since they broke up. They haven't shared the stage in 20 years, and their former manager E-Roc (Taylor Selé) has plans to get the group back together to perform at the BET awards. It's a big ask, but it might be exactly what each girl needs.

So how do you introduce your audience to the former queens of hip hop? Through flashbacks of course! Similar to the fantastic Behind the Hits promo released last week, we meet our leading ladies via their music video "Nasty Girl." We're introduced to their edgy hip hop personas, then immediately jump to where they are today. Brianna aka Professor Sex (Eve) is married and a mother of 5, Jill aka Da Thrill (Naturi Naughton) is very Catholic, married and having an affair, Valeria aka Butter Pecan (Nadine Velazquez) is a daytime TV host in LA, and Naomi aka XPlicit Lyrics (Brandy) is performing at local bars in Nashville and is estranged from her teenage daughter. There's a lot going on in the first episode and we're only to the title card!

(ABC/Annette Brown)
(ABC/Annette Brown)

If that's not enough, as we venture further into the story, there's plenty of juicy drama to keep you intrigued. This first chapter explores some incredible lies, cheating spouses, drug use, a cancer diagnosis and someone finally opening up about their sexuality. Considering the parameters of network television, everything is tastefully presented while still trying to push the envelope a little bit. That might be Queens' biggest success: finding a way to work through the messiness of the characters' arcs without having to be raunchy or explicit. I certainly didn't miss the series of expletives one would hear were this on cable.

With varied backgrounds that branch out in interesting directions, the characters themselves are fascinating. Brianna refers to the group in their current lives as "a mom, a church lady, a washed up musician, and a disgraced daytime TV host" and while she's not wrong, they all know there's so much more to them separately and on the whole. The ensemble is fun to watch and everyone brings their own spark to create the group's magic, but if I'm being completely honest, it's Brandy's Naomi who had my attention the whole way through. She's mesmerizing with her alto tone and raw emotion, not to mention a ridiculously awesome side eye.

In addition to the NBs, E-Roc is the magic piece that reunites them, but he could potentially drive a wedge between Naomi and Valeria as both did and still do have feelings for him. E-Roc brings with him successful rapper Lauren aka Lil Muffin (Pepi Sonuga) who has her own set of problems but finds true friendship and support from the girls, taking sage advice from Jill about fame to heart.

As someone who knows next to nothing about rap and hip hop, I felt that Queens was likely not made for me. Despite my lack of knowledge of the genre, I tuned in. Like any good show on television it's the story that makes the case for return viewings and Queens is accessible, not to mention interesting on so many levels. Yes, it's about music and rekindling the fire you once had, but it's also, sex, relationships, motherhood and careers. However, first and foremost it's about women. Powerful, scared, hurting — all are welcome and represented.

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles/2021/10/12/queens-review-abc/amp/

Demetri La Robyn 🤴🏾

Walking through like you're that girl, When you know you're not that Girl! Try again, Try again!

Demetri La Robyn 🤴🏾

People's Choice Awards have their write-in voting window open for just a few days. Y'all want the show to get awards attention, Prove it!!! Make sure to write the show and it's leading ladies into the TV categories.

https://www.votepca.com/?source=social-pca&cmpid=twitter-organic-post

Sovereign.

I can tell Brandy is really giving this role her all. I'm glad to hear she's a standout. 

ReVon

Quote from: long-timeNastyGirl on October 08, 2021, 06:48:06 PM
Nasty Girls has me reliving the 1999 releases

:flamebroiled:

What a year

TLC FanMail
Destiny's Child Writings On The Wall
Jay Z vol 3
Missy Elliott Da Real World
jLo On The 6
Robyn My Truth
Britney Baby One More Time
Mariah Carey Rainbow
Kelis Kaleidoscope
Ginuwine 100% Ginuwine
Dr. Dre 2001

So much fire

I TELL PEOPLE ALL THE TIME 1999 WAS MY FAVORITE YEAR OF MY LIFE SO FAR. THE MUSIC REALLY SAVED MY LIFE THAT YEAR.

:gorlonfire: :gorlonfire: :gorlonfire: :gorlonfire:

b7

b7

b7

Quote from: Sovereign. on October 13, 2021, 12:24:15 AM
I can tell Brandy is really giving this role her all. I'm glad to hear she's a standout.
these reviews are INCREDIBLE so far

Really rooting for them all

b7

Quote from: Demetri Merrick Rocka 🤴🏾 on October 12, 2021, 09:57:12 PM
People's Choice Awards have their write-in voting window open for just a few days. Y'all want the show to get awards attention, Prove it!!! Make sure to write the show and it's leading ladies into the TV categories.

https://www.votepca.com/?source=social-pca&cmpid=twitter-organic-post
say less

:ohwow:

b7

Quote from: RenRen986 on October 12, 2021, 07:09:14 PMThe challenge, of course, will be keeping everything in balance along with the former Nasty Bitches planning their comeback. (While it's not fully covered in the pilot, step one is apparently changing the group's name, which probably is for the best.)

Just having Eve and Brandy in this cast is enough to sit up and pay attention, but every performer shows up to play: After seeing Velazquez as a supporting player in My Name Is Earl and The League, where she was always sharp with a quip but character-wise largely reduced to "the hot girl," it's deeply satisfying to see her play a character here whose storyline has nothing to do with her relationship to men.

RELATED: ABC's 'Queens' Claim Their Throne in New Poster

Also, believe it or not, but these women are fantastic rappers and performers — okay, that's hardly a surprise, as the only one who wasn't an established musical artist is Velazquez, and she holds her own against the other living legends. There's not a lot of original music featured in the first episode, but the key track, "Nasty Girl," is (as the kids say today) fire, and I'm genuinely excited for the additional original music to come from series music producer Swizz Beatz.

Overall, there is a lot packed into this pilot, but creator Zahir McGhee and director Tim Story do an admirable job of keeping it all balanced, along with just enough of a hook to make us want to see more. (Also, Story draws elegantly upon his own experience as a music video director from that era to add some wonderfully authentic flare to the sequences which deserve it.) Most importantly, whenever possible they remember what might be the most important thing: to put the music front and center. There's nothing like watching talented people do what they do best, and on that basis alone, Queens may become addictive viewing for longtime fans of the stars, as well as newcomers to the scene.

Queens premieres October 19 on ABC

https://collider.com/queens-review-eve-brandy-abc-why-its-good/amp/

Glad the review mentions how EAGER the girls are to immediately change the group's name to "QUEENS" cuz a lot of the girls wanted to be obtuse as if that other name was gonna be a thing for the entirety of the show.

Love every bit of this
:butwait!:

Queen Brandy and the Queens may have a hit on their hands, i fear.

b7