1989 jumps to #1 in wake of Taylor/Apple events + Indie artists PARISE Taylor

Started by Mel., June 22, 2015, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel.

Singer and activist Billy Bragg praised Swift on Facebook.

"I have to take my hat off to her now that she has defeated Apple Music's attempt to give our music away for free on their new streaming service," Bragg wrote. "Taylor can do this because she exercises control over her own work, rather than following the standard practice of signing all rights over to her record company. We need to see more of this in the industry if artists hope ensure that the rights of creators can trump the might of corporations."
There was a time when it didn't seem like Swift could get any bigger.
She's got massive success in the music industry, millions of devoted fans and a permanent place in pop culture history, the latter thanks to an incident that the world will never, ever allow Kanye West to forget.
But clearly, that wasn't enough for the (literally) towering singer.
In one week, she became the second-biggest selling act of 2014 and the only solo platinum-selling artist of the year -- all with the debut of "1989." She pulled her music off Spotify, the most popular streaming site in the world, and managed to get pulled into a political controversy thanks to a remark during the U.S. Senate race in Iowa.
You just couldn't get away from her. Morning shows? There was Swift performing on "Good Morning America." Prime time? Look, it's Swift on "The Voice." Online? Between her tweets, "1989"-related photos and a countdown clock, she was ubiquitous.
For all we know, she's even boosted the sales of tap shorts.
It's the next step in the evolution of the singer who launched her career in country music at the age of 16. Now 25, she has weathered critics who have kept a tally of some of her alleged celebrity sins: Her music wasn't country enough, her wide-eyed "Gosh, I really won" awards acceptance speeches weren't genuine, and her relationships were mostly fodder for publicity and potential song material.
Taylor Swift's '1989' has biggest sales week since 2002
So what did Swift do? She released her first fully pop album, designated "Shake It Off" -- an ode to her haters -- as the first single and declared herself happily single at the time.
"I really like my life right now," Swift told Rolling Stone in 2014. "I have friends around me all the time. I've started painting more. I've been working out a lot. I've started to really take pride in being strong. I love the album I made. I love that I moved to New York. So in terms of being happy, I've never been closer to that."
It would seem Swift has long been on the path to world domination. Big Kenny of the country duo Big and Rich said the singer showed that she had what it took even as a teen at the annual Country Radio Seminar in Nashville.
"She just had a charge in her that was twice her age, really," he said of the then-15-year-old. "From the get-go."
Singer-songwriter Frankie Ballard toured with her and said Swift isn't one of those stars who mails it in.
"She was plugged in. She was there every day," he said of his tourmate. "She was the captain of the ship."

SUPREME

j

thats great and all but buying more taylor swift music isnt really helping the cause shes pushing

Buy The Stars✨

Mel.

Wow...
do you guys realize 1989 came out OCTOBER of last year?
and it hasn't left the top 10 since and now perched back at #1 werrrrrk

I was watching the news and they literally said "Taylor is POWERFUL and is the only one that could stand up to Apple and WIN!"
my local New York news praising the queen

Mel.

LiiVE

Quote from: Mel. on June 22, 2015, 07:31:22 PM
Wow...
do you guys realize 1989 came out OCTOBER of last year?
and it hasn't left the top 10 since and now perched back at #1 werrrrrk

I was watching the news and they literally said "Taylor is POWERFUL and is the only one that could stand up to Apple and WIN!
my local New York news praising the queen
m

pCj

wow,hopefully those indie artists she was fighting for get a surge in sales too since her written letter wasn't about her at all (supposedly)

Buy The Stars✨

Quote from: Mel. on June 22, 2015, 07:32:14 PM
Quote from: Nicholas_Styles on June 22, 2015, 07:30:32 PM
have any indie artists benefited from this??

They will now, since Taylor got Apple together.

i still want her god damn head for wrapping her chapped lips around harrys cock

FRANCE

Wow, Tori album ain't even out yet and she's coming for Taylor's spot.

XXXI

So wait they praise her for this and Bash the artist on Tidal, just because she said she is not doing it for herself... but for new artist? That White Privilege is something else  :uhh: :uhh: