DJ Camper is changing Bran

Started by BranNu, December 15, 2020, 09:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BranNu

https://twitter.com/djordxc/status/1319746113671487488?s=12

What do y'all think?

I think it might be true

Brandy said that she was able to found her sound with Rodney Jerkins but B7 is the total opposite

As much as I love B7 it's so much different that her past album but she also grown ever since

Buy The Stars✨

I agree with that whole tweet lol 

Bish

That entire thread is so accurate.

What I love and appreciate about B7 is the areas where Brandy's artistry shines through. The decisions she makes regarding placement is still on point.  And it's, for me, her most vulnerable album. But his production is so underwhelming.

I just cannot wrap my head over her giving him so much creative control. And it's not his age because Rodney was fucking 19 when he did NSN. He just doesn't have IT. If they did not have a personal relationship he would not have been this heavily involved, if at all.

FRANCE

B7 is my least fave Brandy album. Not bad, but not my fave. Havent listened to it in weeks. And when I do, I stop at I Am More. 

Some of the songs on the album are also sung in the key of a male's voice. I wish a few of the songs were a couple steps up. 

Justaway_

December 15, 2020, 10:16:59 PM #4 Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:19:14 PM by Justaway_
Well that is Brandy's true problem artistically. She doesn't have a "sound": Her albums have always been shaped after the main producer's sound, not hers. Afrodisiac was drastically diferent from FM, as were Human, 2/11 and this one. Bran developed her vocals and that's her unique thing, but sonically she depends way too much on the producer, which sucks. Wish she played a bigger role in her own productions instead of only managing how many runs and adlibs she gon add.

Bish

Quote from: Justaway_ on December 15, 2020, 10:16:59 PM
Well that is Brandy's true problem artistically. She doesn't have a "sound": Her albums have always been shaped after the main producer's sound, not hers. Afrodisiac was drastically diferent from FM, as was Human, 2/11 and this one. Bran developed her vocals and that's her unique thing, but sonically she depends way too much on the producer, which sucks. Wish she played a bigger role in her own productions more than how many runs and adlibs she gon add.
OMG yes!!!

Bigmacthawoppa

Yup. And his sound isn't good or original.

I think she just feels like so many people have jacked the sound she pioneered, she felt she needed to do something completely different this time.

But the thing is it was HER sound for a reason. People try but no one can do it like she did it.

I sincerely hope the next album is with different producers who actually respect and revere her more. Camper gives me riding coattails teas.

….ok.

Well that is Brandy's true problem artistically. She doesn't have a "sound": Her albums have always been shaped after the main producer's sound, not hers. Afrodisiac was drastically diferent from FM, as were Human, 2/11 and this one. Bran developed her vocals and that's her unique thing, but sonically she depends way too much on the producer, which sucks. Wish she played a bigger role in her own productions instead of only managing how many runs and adlibs she gon add.
/

how u let him cheat

Well that is Brandy's true problem artistically. She doesn't have a "sound": Her albums have always been shaped after the main producer's sound, not hers. Afrodisiac was drastically diferent from FM, as was Human, 2/11 and this one. Bran developed her vocals and that's her unique thing, but sonically she depends way too much on the producer, which sucks. Wish she played a bigger role in her own productions more than how many runs and adlibs she gon add.

i agree with this but u don't think its a bad thing. i think its a unique thing to be so recognizable for your voice that you can adapt and fully commit to each producer's style while still maintaining recognizability. like, NOT many are able to fckn say the damn same
then take him back? must be yo only nigga.

Justaway_

This is also awful because producers tend to objectify Bran as a vessel to fill with a certain sound. Then they feel like she's a property rather than an equal who's more than capable of controlling her productions and musical vision. That's why Darkchild, TC and others feel jealous whenever Bran is working with someone else.

Bentley. HARRIS!

wow
don't know that I've ever seen anybody pin it down like this

I really don't know why she didn't stick with Afro sound  :dead:

i mean ... it was the natural evolution of Almost Doesn't Count, Angel In Disguise, and Sittin Up IMR

that's what Timbaland realized, he brought out that sultry sound in her voice, while stacking raspy harmonies over pop/rnb guitar riffs... I mean it was such a simple formula  :plzstop:

RedOctober

Honestly I believe this is all Brandy. No shade but the album is...well...bipolar. It's all over the place. It's Brandy down. You can't tell me she wasn't in the studio stacking for days and having Camp adjust this, and modify that. I do blame Camp for not editing Bran. That's why I think Rodney was so great for Bran...he put his foot down when it was necessary.

GYNandTONIC

December 15, 2020, 10:52:57 PM #12 Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:54:34 PM by GYNandTONIC
Brandy is a vocalist, not a producer. I see nothing w/ her adopting the sound that best showcases where she is emotionally. A painter doesn't have to make the canvas and the brushes.

The drastic difference this time is she had a choice. Camper was chosen. There wasn't a label dictating who she should build a sound with. That is independence and musically I hear that. Camper may be rough around the edges, but that might be the exact reason why Bran pulled him in.

B7 is my 2nd favorite Brandy album and it's isn't because it musically perfect. That's what I love about it. It's raw and faded

FRANCE

One thing I will say about B7 - I expected more of a vocal lashing on the album. After 2/11, Brandy really started to be heralded as a vocal beast, more than ever before. I wasnt expecting Beggin N Pleadin gospel type vocals but I really was hoping she would really go for it. And I didnt get that. I dont think she took risks like she did on Full Moon or Human. I really just want for her to work with more than one producer. Camper did his thing on some of the songs like Rather Be, but I'm sure there are other producers waiting in line to give Brandy their best. And its a shame we didnt get to hear what could've been. 

RAY7

Quote from: FRANCE on December 15, 2020, 11:02:24 PM
One thing I will say about B7 - I expected more of a vocal lashing on the album. After 2/11, Brandy really started to be heralded as a vocal beast, more than ever before. I wasnt expecting Beggin N Pleadin gospel type vocals but I really was hoping she would really go for it. And I didnt get that. I dont think she took risks like she did on Full Moon or Human. I really just want for her to work with more than one producer. Camper did his thing on some of the songs like Rather Be, but I'm sure there are other producers waiting in line to give Brandy their best. And its a shame we didnt get to hear what could've been.
you don't think Bran took risks vocally on B7? All those high falsetto notes that she barely did on any other album? IDK what else y'all want her to do with the voice she has, she still did plenty of runs and some belting