Day in the life of Brandy (BET Awards: As told by Smith)

Started by DrewBabyLove, June 29, 2015, 06:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrewBabyLove

I'm really loving the stuff they post on thenextbrandyblog.com

QuoteYou can come now." That was the text I woke up to from Newal, one of the Dream Carriers on Brandy's management team. She was advising it was show time and what was sure to be a magical day was starting NOW.

I hopped out of bed, showered, threw on my red carpet glam (just enough but not too much) and then Ubered over to a swanky downtown LA hotel where the team awaited. It was indeed SHOWTIME.

Tap. Tap.

I knocked on the 10th floor door and on the other side was Newel, texting and taking care of biz-ny-ee (as Brandy will sometimes say), celebrity make-up artist Renny Vasquez wearing the make-up artists universal outfit: all black (Moschino sandals, just because), and off course, a fresh-faced, smiling Brandy...lighting up the room like a ball of positive energy. Later Albert Morrison (assistant hair stylist) and Brandy's mane-thang Tym Wallace joined the room. It was time to make magic.

Coincidentally 'Chicago' the movie was on television. Brandy, ever the professional knew all the lines, thanks to her current stint on Broadway playing the lead, Roxie Hart. She watched the film like it was her first time ever seeing it--tuned in with razor sharp focus, taking a minute every now and then to say "this part is different from the show" or "Man, I wish we could do this part."

Renny painted Brandy's makeup like her nickname was Mona Lisa and finished just in time for style team Micah McDonald and Wayman Deon, who had now arrived, adding to the room full of eclectic creatives. Brandy gave them the blueprint...a baby doll dress to create a fun, playful template....they did JUST that. They opened the garment bag like they were revealing a big secret, revealing a fresh-off-the-runway gray and black baby doll dress, structured with deep wavy pleats and an asymmetrical hemline. Coupled with hot pink shoes...for pizazz of course, and super dope jewelry.... let's just say it was a moment.

After oohing and aahing over what had revealed itself to be a magical collaboration and taking plenty of pre-show pics we jetted out the door, Olympic track star style, and piled into the waiting SUV to swing by Ray J's new plush digs to pick him up, then head over to the scene: The Staples Center for the red carpet.

Arriving, it was the typical organized chaos... people everywhere with plenty of folks telling those same people where to (or not to) go. Brandy and Ray J stepped out and you can tell their sibling power was on a milli.

Jeanine, another member of Brandy's management team (shout out to MBK Entertainment) secured plenty of interviews for her: E!, Good Morning America, and more. Brandy hit these outlets while hugging plenty of stars along the way--taking pictures and making people promise they'd keep their word and come see her on Broadway. It was a family reunion and EVERYONE was kin to Brandy and Ray. After the interviews the duo hit the photo section of the carpet...the photographers loved them! Ray in his shining white and Guiseppe sneakers coupled with Brandy's look created a picture-worthy motif that the photographers ate up.

It was almost show-time.

It seemed like someone pressed a fast forward button because from there things moved at rapid speed. We exited the carpet, but not before Brandy and Ray greeted a mass of cheerful fans who were chanting their names; making sure to take selfies and give high-fives to a few. After that, we were whisked into the venue where we ran into Nicki Minaj who was sure to confess how much she loved Brandy: "Hey Brandy! you know I love you, Brandy!" she said in her famous Nicki Minaj Voice.

The show was poppington. Please believe. Brandy and Ray got a lot of camera time while dancing the night away and enjoying what was an amazing show. Brandy also presented an award along with her cast members from The Game.

After the multi-hour telecast, we jetted over to LA Live where Ray and Brandy sat down with Big Tigger and Naturi Naughton for the BET Post Show. They were accompanied by Tyrese and Empire's V.Bozeman for a fun conversation about the awards and more.

Afterward, we strolled so the after party, also at LA Live, took a few pictures, before heading back to the SUV. That's when we ran into MS. Patti Labelle and there was a moment, Ladies and Gentlemen. Patti rolled down her black tinted SUV window to get Brandy and Ray's attention. They both immediately ran over to her car window and the trio began to shower each other with so much love. Brandy whipped out her iPhone and captured the moment on film. Patti's SUV was preventing other chauffeurs from leaving the lot, but when it's Patti Labelle...you forgive her quickly. It was a moment, she took it, and that was what it was gonna be.

After the picturesque Patti moment, we jetted to the Uber swank Katana, an Asian-fusion restaurant on the Sunset Strip. Katana was apparently the move for the night because it was packed, star-studded, and featured a DJ that had the soundscape on slam. A bunch of appetizers were ordered along with plenty of fish for this healthy-eating entourage. I ordered beef fried rice. Don't judge me. It was "cheat day."

Good and satisfied we now needed to decide where the turn-up was gonna be: Soho House or The Hyde.

The Hyde It was.

Brandy hopped in the SUV of her cousin, Ryan Ramsey while Ray (his security), Newel, and I hopped in our designated vehicle--all meeting 3 blocks away at what was a jam packed line of folks clamoring to get inside the club. Tonight's menu: Nicki Minaj and Meek Mill. Ryan, who manages Nicki, was able to walk us directly into the venue, parting the red sea of folks who weren't on 'the list.'

First stop was the red carpet. While I was photographing Brandy and Ray petite Cover Girl, Janelle Monet steps onto the carpet: "Is that my Brandy?! Is that my girl?!" She showers Brandy with love on everything from 'Chicago' to career. Ray suggested they do a song together; Brandy agreed, but not before jokingly letting Janelle know she has no plans to do all the electrified dancing Monet is typically known for. I captured a few more pictures of Brandy, Ray, Janelle, and her new artist Jidenna.

After pictures, we pressed our way through the party and were ushered by Ryan smack dab in the middle Nicki and Meek's VIP section. There was a lot of shoulder touching, accidental pushing, and personal space was a thing of the past. Bran was ready to go. Tired, full, but pleased after a long, magical day.

She stepped out of The Hyde STILL wearing her 5-inch stilettos like they were a pair of sneakers and headed to her SUV--taking her journey back to her home. The rest of us stayed a bit longer before also heading back to our respective quarters, closing out what will be a day we won't soon forget.

-Smith

Treasure

Herb.

i live for the hair, the whole look.

it's different.

MypuzzystanK

Not Brandy's cousin MANAGING NICKI

wow

he moved on up
how the hell he got that
d

ohthatsniko

Quote from: MypuzzystanK on June 29, 2015, 06:28:23 PM
Not Brandy's cousin MANAGING NICKI

wow

he moved on up
how the hell he got that
d

Lmao I was thinking the same thing when I read this lol

RekeRig

Not Patti and Nicki stopping her in her tracks

And that last pic is amaze

BigDawg

.betterwiseup

Great article!
Ryan Nicki's Manager?
Hmmmm...no comment.

BRockaBaby

ooooooooo i loved loved this. great read.

Bran is so legendary

Cowgirl

MoToThE