Has Brandy evolved ?

Started by lovechild, May 19, 2017, 09:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovechild

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/10/brandy-and-the-sad-fate-of-pop-stars-who-take-a-chance-and-then-retreat/263659/

Old article but it makes me wonder ... has ghandy evolved musically ? Like from Afro to human to 211 ... has she gone backwards ? This article was tough to read but I feel they have great points . Brandy was headed somewhere else with afrodisiac . She was so raw and creative and completely ditched her previous sound. Then we got human and 211 ... Opinions ?

BRockaBaby

I think everyone on here can agree that she's lost that unique element in some aspects. I know I've said time and time again that bran needs to get back to "her" sound. She completely ditched that concept with 2/11 but I think it's fair to say that the album was not in her control. Hopefully the music coming will give us that unique brandy "experience" that we all love her for. Human was lazy, 2/11 was too commercial or at least it wanted to be.

lovechild

Exactly !! It appears she's aware of this because she continues to repeat that she lost herself , didn't know her worth and now she can't afford to not give her all . She's also said she doesn't want to repeat what she's already done which is a bit confusing . Are you gonna take back your sound or nah ?

BRockaBaby

May 19, 2017, 09:52:23 AM #3 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:13:48 AM by BRockaBaby
....and I know that as an artist she sings how life is speaking to her in that current state but I think part of her unique lane was not only the composition of her music but also the vocal delivery. I LOVE that she's showing people she can SANG lately but I more times than not miss the raspy, soft, angelic, NSN, Full Moon, Focus type vocal delivery. Where every time I listen i hear a new element of her voice or hear her using her voice somewhere within the layers to add a different sound to the song.

She's an artist so she will always do what she wants but I do MISS it. #sweetnothings #angelindisguise #allinme #heis #comealittlecloser #whathaveyoudoneforme #drumlife #onething #surpriseending #standback #escape #fullmoon #finally #shouldigo #focus #itried etc etc etc etc

lovechild

Ugh you are preaching !!! I'm always like beggin and pleading is cool but I'm not a brandy fan because of her belting and squeezing out a vocal . Her delivery is magical because she never had to do that and it's sickening . I just hope she knows that

BRockaBaby

I speak for myself when I say I fell in love with bran because of the experience her music gave me. Sort of like an Enya track...it's not just singing, it's an experience. I want that back...but..because I love her as an artist over anyhting, I will always enjoy her work. It's just lately I find myself having to try VERY HARD to find an element in her work that I like vs. before I could listen to every song beginning to end, one after the other, and be SO FULL at the end to want to do it all over again.

lovechild

Linda . Honey !!! I died when i heard that snippet of "patterns" like please give me a BRANDY vibe . Lol we need to just text each other

BRockaBaby

May 19, 2017, 10:07:01 AM #7 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:10:18 AM by BRockaBaby
Yea. Which is why I'm like let's see. She's given me a taste of some things that bring me to that place. #melancholy #patterns #here #ineedit

Aalumeci.

Quote from: BRockaBaby on May 19, 2017, 09:52:23 AM
....and I know that as an artist she sings how life is speaking to her in that current state but I think part of her unique lane was not only the composition of her music but also the vocal delivery. I LOVE that she's showing people she can SANG lately but I more times than not miss the raspy, soft, angelic, NSN, Full Moon, Focus type vocal delivery. Where every time I listen i hear a new element of her voice or hear her using her voice somewhere within the layers to add a different sound to the song.

She's an artist so she will always do what she wants but I do MISS it. #sweetnothings #angelindisguise #allinme #heis #comealittlecloser #whathaveyoudoneforme #drumlife #onething #surpriseending #stankback #escape #fullmoon #finally #shouldigo #focus #itried etc etc etc etc

omgggggg yes. My eyes teared up

Aalumeci.

Quote from: lovechild on May 19, 2017, 09:54:55 AM
Ugh you are preaching !!! I'm always like beggin and pleading is cool but I'm not a brandy fan because of her belting and squeezing out a vocal . Her delivery is magical because she never had to do that and it's sickening . I just hope she knows that

The fact that people call her vocal bible based on her work BEFORE she started squalling

BRockaBaby

May 19, 2017, 10:14:54 AM #10 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:15:38 AM by BRockaBaby
Quote from: L0NZ. on May 19, 2017, 10:13:02 AM
Quote from: lovechild on May 19, 2017, 09:54:55 AM

The fact that people call her vocal bible based on her work BEFORE she started squalling

!!! and so I've always thought this but never said it but glad to know others see it. I sometimes feel like ever since she was crowned with that "title", she felt the need to PROVE it. But Bran, you already proved it, that's how YOU GOT IT.

Cartierline

Quote from: BRockaBaby on May 19, 2017, 09:52:23 AM

She's an artist so she will always do what she wants but I do MISS it. #sweetnothings #angelindisguise #allinme #heis #comealittlecloser #whathaveyoudoneforme #drumlife #onething #surpriseending #standback #escape #fullmoon #finally #shouldigo #focus #itried etc etc etc etc
Yes to all of this.

I LIVE for a softer Bran vocal. A lot of my fave songs of hers are the ones where she gives a more controlled slay.

BRockaBaby

the way she rides that guitar. the slight "oh yea" and "yea yea" in the back. The way her vibrato carries the same wave of the guitar strings. The fact that eaach layer is singing almost on a different rhythm but still carry the song. The "ooo-oo" in the backgorund of the second verse.

I used to sit and listen OVER AND OVER to these types of songs and discover some new shit she's doing with the song.

....miss it. Her songs have become very surface level. Throw me down into the depths again and make me look for a way out Bran. I MISS THAT SHIT!

FlowerBomb

I'm tired of marijuana brandy
I want crack brandy

wizzy