Chadwick Boseman's Role As Thurgood Marshall Sparks Colorism Debate

Started by Freemala Harris, June 27, 2017, 02:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freemala Harris

Here's Why a Black Actor's New Role Is Causing a Big Debate About Skin Color

Chadwick Boseman, the same actor who played Jackie Robinson and James Brown will be playing another black American icon: Justice Thurgood Marshall.

However, his latest role is causing some controversy.

Boseman is a darker black man, but the famous attorney and Justice was very light-skinned.

Why would Boseman's skin color matter?

The distinction is important because of colorism, or the privilege lighter-skinned black people receive within their own community and in broader society compared with darker-skinned black people.

The phenomenon has ties to the legacy of trans-Atlantic slavery, and colorism also pervades other non-white societies around the globe, often stemming from a history of colonialism.

In an interview with late night comedian Jimmy Kimmel, Boseman said he initially didn't want to play Thurgood because he was light-skinned.

"I didn't want to do it at first because Thurgood Marshall is a lot lighter than me. I don't look like him in terms of complexion," Boseman said in the interview posted to Youtube on Wednesday.

"Once I read it, I realized that really wasn't important. You know, each movie you do about a real person, it's a painting and you choose certain things in the painting you want to pull out and you want to show, so for this one it was the spirit of the man."

This isn't the first time that the casting of a historical black figure has prompted a debate about colorism.

Zoe Saldana, a light-skinned actor, received huge backlash for her portrayal of music icon and civil rights activist Nina Simone, who was dark-skinned and often spoke about it.

In the film Saldana's skin was darkened and she wore a prosthetic nose. Some people tweeted that Boseman's portrayal is much more acceptable because he doesn't wear a prosthetic or "blackface" makeup.

Full Article: https://www.attn.com/stories/17889/heres-why-black-actors-new-role-causing-big-debate-about-skin-color

Thoughts?

BAPHOMET.

its only right they should get someone the same complexion. tbh

GRAND

They can get the eldest brother from Empire if they wanna recast :young:

Sinpool

njcsddddd

I always wondered why Hollywood only cares about Black Skin color when its convenient

Like how they will hire someone who looks like Lupita but then hire someone who looks like Zendaya to play her in a flashback

SouravMay

Quote from: Drew Berrymore on June 27, 2017, 03:05:49 AM
njcsddddd

I always wondered why Hollywood only cares about Black Skin color when its convenient

Like how they will hire someone who looks like Lupita but then hire someone who looks like Zendaya to play her in a flashback

!!!!

I never got that. They do it with Hispanics too. Hire black Dominicans to play Mexicans etc.

Apparently this guy was extremely light skin, so I do think the actor should match. However for Mandela and Malcolm they "blackwashed" their roles as well.
B7

FlowerBomb

They "blackwashed" Mandela and Malcolm x with Denzel and Idris?

SouravMay

Quote from: UBH on June 27, 2017, 04:24:45 AM

Both were significantly lighter in complexion than the actor who portrayed them.
B7

Freemala Harris

Quote from: شيطان on June 27, 2017, 04:26:41 AM
Quote from: UBH on June 27, 2017, 04:24:45 AM

Both were significantly lighter in complexion than the actor who portrayed them.

Hmm they did mention that on twitter earlier as well

A good thread:

https://twitter.com/MatthewACherry/status/877963996766195712

Although a lot of people were saying people glanced over it because of how well Denzel(of course) played the role

FlowerBomb

fffffffffff
:dead: omg people will literally complain about ANYTHING

Gilgamesh.

He looks nothing like him. This is really sloppy on their part and if it was a woman it would cause massive backlash.

Freemala Harris

This was just outrageous though

zoe gor

hhh she didn't even look real. This caked on CLAY