Chadwick Boseman's Role As Thurgood Marshall Sparks Colorism Debate

Started by Freemala Harris, June 27, 2017, 02:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AIDS

STUNNA GOD

H

I mean..... If it was the other way around.... You can't pick and choose.

STUNNA GOD

Quote from: ORORO MUNROE-UDAKU on June 27, 2017, 06:01:43 AM
Quote from: ANIMMAI on June 27, 2017, 05:44:47 AM
If you know anything about Thurgood Marshall, him being lightskinned is what helped him work his way through the legal system. I know Chadwick is a hot commodity rn but this look sloppy.
!!!!!!!!!
It helped him greatly as it did other blacks in government and political positions before him

The purpose of biopic casting is to match an actors look as closely to the subject character as possible and hope they nail the personality.
!!!!!!!!

And capture the story. If his light skin tone played a major role in his story, this casting makes absolutely no sense. :dead:

GLOCK

Quote from: Fuck you. on June 27, 2017, 07:25:00 AM
Quote from: Same Ol' G on June 27, 2017, 07:22:24 AM
lol the movie comes out next month
Really bad casting

next month is October?  :unsure:
I was being facetious
I'm saying it can't be recasted because it's already "out"

Opposites Attract.

June 27, 2017, 07:57:43 AM #37 Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:00:02 AM by Kordei Jauregui.
Quote from: BigDawg on June 27, 2017, 04:47:45 AM
This is so stupid.

Now people are complaining that this man is too dark to play TM?!
ofuckingkay?

Angela Bassett, a dark skinned woman, played Light Skin Tina Turner, and slayed in the role. The role shouldn't go to who looks the fucking part. It should go to who can deliver the work the best. I really can't believe black people are upset over this. How fucking disgusting.

Never see white complaining about who's paler than the other. Who's more Orange! Pink!

It's unconditional, these days you know....

GRAND

Am I one of the few people who never cared if an actor looked like whoever theyre portraying?

:guys:

In fact I don't prefer it. I feel like it takes away from the art itself as we're focused on that person and how well they can/cannot mimic the deceased

yummy

Quote from: Trey on June 27, 2017, 07:34:35 AM
Quote from: ORORO MUNROE-UDAKU on June 27, 2017, 06:01:43 AM
Quote from: ANIMMAI on June 27, 2017, 05:44:47 AM
If you know anything about Thurgood Marshall, him being lightskinned is what helped him work his way through the legal system. I know Chadwick is a hot commodity rn but this look sloppy.
!!!!!!!!!
It helped him greatly as it did other blacks in government and political positions before him

The purpose of biopic casting is to match an actors look as closely to the subject character as possible and hope they nail the personality.
!!!!!!!!

And capture the story. If his light skin tone played a major role in his story, this casting makes absolutely no sense. :dead:

Right. Overlooking an integral part of the subject's life to cast someone with a lot of star power is tacky as hell.

Hope this mess flops lol!

yummy

And if they hired Halle Berry to play Michelle Obama, the reactions would be totally different but woo! stop complaining!

FlowerBomb

ffffm
I'm sorry but for Malcolm X and Mandela I didn't even think about Idris's or Denzel's complexion :dead:
I wouldn't even call that "blackwashing", the opposite term means when everything black or non white is erased and replaced for white characters or culture. I don't even see the major difference in their complexion to be honest.

FlowerBomb

Quote from: ANIMMAI on June 27, 2017, 08:12:18 AM
And if they hired Halle Berry to play Michelle Obama, the reactions would be totally different but woo! stop complaining!
But that isn't that big of a reach, unlike the Zoe Salanda and Nina Simone one :dead:

Opposites Attract.

It's unconditional, these days you know....

GRAND

Quote from: KhoiZan on June 27, 2017, 08:10:49 AM
Quote from: LORD GRAND SUPREME PRIME CELESTIAL MARSHALL on June 27, 2017, 08:09:41 AM
Am I one of the few people who never cared if an actor looked like whoever theyre portraying?

:guys:

In fact I don't prefer it. I feel like it takes away from the art itself as we're focused on that person and how well they can/cannot mimic the deceased
It depends on how connected I am with the person.

If they hired J-Lo for the Toni biopic I'd be like wtf? :guys: No fucking dice

I wanna feel like I'm looking at GODni.
cxxxxxxxx

oh no i agree with that

i just think as long as theyre the same race its fine

i never really took color into consideration, even though we all have different experiences