Joanne the Scammer Gets a Netflix Show

Started by Lazarus, July 27, 2017, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

July 27, 2017, 11:44:39 AM Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:45:03 AM by Lazarus
Social media star Branden Miller stopped by the studio to chat with PAPER cover star Janet Mock for her excellent "Never Before" podcast, and revealed that his character Joanne the Scammer is getting her very own Netflix show.

On the podcast, Miller told Mock that "someone from Netflix" was currently writing the show, which sounds like it will be an elongated version of the micro stories that sometimes appear on Joanne's Instagram page. Miller will star as Joanne.

Miller added, "If you know Joanne on Instagram, there are little snippets of her life" in which Joanne appears "right in the middle of a scam. So I'm capturing that. Instagram gives you one minute of that, the show will give you the whole storyline."

When Mock asked if the show will be a sitcom, Miller answered, "We're trying to do that. I can't even speak that far ahead because I don't even know. All I know is we start off with her being married to this rich white older guy, or maybe he's not even older. And he drops her, so she's trying to get to that place again of being Caucasian - whatever she thinks that is."

In the 30 minute conversation, Miller addressed his early life, including learning that he wasn't white by finding out about his birth parents and how that affected his identity, as well as what it was like to introduce Joanne to the mainstream via stars like Blac Chyna, Solange and Katy Perry. He also spoke about the backlash he has received for his character, including comments from the trans community that he's transphobic.

MAY

Cowboy Nine

Alright now. This is a book.

Unfunny, pandering self.

AIDS

Bruce

I figured, because he has not done anything on Instagram in a very long time. I'm guessing they have rights to his character.

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

LOONA.

BAPHOMET.

GRAND

Not being broke on drugs to Netflix overnight