Honesty Hour: Why do you think Nicki has never gotten a #1 or a GRAMMY?

Started by XXX., September 18, 2017, 06:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fedswatchin

Quote from: XXX. on September 18, 2017, 07:11:11 PM
Quote from: OwnIt on September 18, 2017, 07:10:30 PM
Quote from: XXX. on September 18, 2017, 07:09:25 PM
Quote from: OwnIt on September 18, 2017, 07:06:48 PM
Quote from: XXX. on September 18, 2017, 07:01:15 PM
Quote from: OwnIt on September 18, 2017, 06:56:48 PM
I don't think it matters

Like you said, she's bigger than all of her female rapping counterparts without either of them

But I feel like it's dwindling down.  I think you confuse celebrity with actual impact in music.  And we can agree Nicki hasn't really had that in awhile. 

She's a superstar, but if the next album fails to produce any hits, then what?

I honestly think she's in a weird place right now.
There's no way to truly document impact in music.  :dead: she's definitely an artist that's sought after, everybody wants her or wanted her on their song at some point.

But yeah, getting a Grammy means absolutely nothing to me. If I wanna hear some new music, I'm not gonna run to the Grammy winners list to see if the music is perched there before I listen to it

That's a lie!

Are you telling me I can't document the impact of something like "Formation" versus a song like "Down" by Fifth Harmony?

You said yourself that Nicki fell off.  Don't switch it up now.

Her records aren't all flopping, because shit is GOOD.
yeah, there's no true way to document impact in music lol

You are mistaken, love.
Can you show me how this can be done?

Onika

Quote from: XXX. on September 18, 2017, 07:12:27 PM
Quote from: OnikaChrist on September 18, 2017, 07:08:25 PM
Quote from: XXX. on September 18, 2017, 06:41:56 PM
Fuck it!

Let's just cut thru the reflection in Irene's shades at the hotel party!

Why are Cardi and Iggy able to achieve something Nicki hasn't done in over 100 chart entries?

Nicki has been so close to reaching #1 on the Hot 100 but the competition is just always too hard to beat.

Tik Tok was bigger than Bedrock.
Party Rock Anthem & Last Friday Night was bigger than Super Bass.
Shake It Off was bigger than Anaconda.

She's honestly cursed :dead: If Katy didn't discount LFN and release that Missy remix, Super Bass would've been #1.

The thing that pisses me off the most about Nicki's career was the way she handled Anaconda's video release. Taylor's bitch ass just had to debut SIO that week. Had she released Anaconda video a week before or later, it would've went #1.

Taylor this.  Taylor that.

Cardi will be STOMPING Taylor out next week.

This is easy for you to say :dead: Cardi wouldn't even be Top 5 if we were in 2014. Shake It Off & All About That Bass were MASSIVE hits with longevity that no one could dethrone them from the top of the Hot 100. Cardi is lucky Taylor is frontloaded this era.
Nicki & Cardi searching for Remy's top 10 hit:

Onika

Imagine comparing Bodak Yellow to hits like Shake It Off & All About That Bass  :dead: keep in mind that urban music didn't really take off until 2015.

XXX.

Quote from: OnikaChrist on September 18, 2017, 07:12:53 PM
I don't think it matters

Like you said, she's bigger than all of her female rapping counterparts without either of them

But I feel like it's dwindling down.  I think you confuse celebrity with actual impact in music.  And we can agree Nicki hasn't really had that in awhile. 

Hits right now don't really matter. She's already had plenty in the past. What Nicki REALLY needs to focus on is giving us a RAP album that is of great quality.

This is why this next album is gonna be make or break for Nicki. The black community wants to see if Nicki can officially solidify her status as one of the greats and deliver us a great rap album. It's crazy to think Nicki has been relevant for all these years yet hasn't really given us a rap masterpiece, while Kim & Lauryn did it on their first try.

I disagree with the first part, but I do agree with the last part.

I think for someone like Beyonce hits don't matter.  She's pushed past the confinement of how small the Hot 100 can make your creative process and has solely focused on creating "impactful" eras and touring. 

I don't think Nicki has the FLEX to really do that.  For one, she oversaturated the market all year.  She does not allow any of her music to breathe or be digested, because there's 10 songs competing with each other at once.  On top of that, she just lost a hugely publicized rap battle after bragging for 10 years how she was the Queen and all bitches are her sons.

She made it a competition by shit talking and challenging every other rap bitch.  You can't say "hits don't matter" when she made an IG post after the Remy diss saying how important hits are, and then proceeding to brag about Hot 100 stats.  Because of that, she now has to show and prove on the charts.

I do agree with you about creating a classic album.  But one thing's for sure.   If she's writing it alone, it ain't gonna happen.

XXX.

Imagine thinking GRAMMYs and HITs aren't unimportant while caping for a bitch that brags about being #1 on the iTunes Video chart in Germany.

fedswatchin

A Grammy is cute or w/e, but you don't need it to get respect or success in the music business :dead:

XXX.

Define success for a female rapper if it's not hit records and accolades?

I would say amazing bars, but we know that's not on the table at this point.

fedswatchin

Pretty much everybody knows the shit is rigged, niggas is paying for awards left and right, and it's a political event :dead: it's been a very long time since the Grammys were known for rewarding music solely on quality

fedswatchin

Quote from: XXX. on September 18, 2017, 07:21:32 PM
But Nicki has both of these things. She's plaqued up and has received a plethora of awards

Onika

Quote from: XXX. on September 18, 2017, 07:17:53 PM
I don't think it matters

Hits right now don't really matter. She's already had plenty in the past. What Nicki REALLY needs to focus on is giving us a RAP album that is of great quality.

This is why this next album is gonna be make or break for Nicki. The black community wants to see if Nicki can officially solidify her status as one of the greats and deliver us a great rap album. It's crazy to think Nicki has been relevant for all these years yet hasn't really given us a rap masterpiece, while Kim & Lauryn did it on their first try.

I think for someone like Beyonce hits don't matter.  She's pushed past the confinement of how small the Hot 100 can make your creative process and has solely focused on creating "impactful" eras and touring. 

I don't think Nicki has the FLEX to really do that.  For one, she oversaturated the market all year.  She does not allow any of her music to breathe or be digested, because there's 10 songs competing with each other at once.  On top of that, she just lost a hugely publicized rap battle after bragging for 10 years how she was the Queen and all bitches are her sons.

She made it a competition by shit talking and challenging every other rap bitch.  You can't say "hits don't matter" when she made an IG post after the Remy diss saying how important hits are, and then proceeding to brag about Hot 100 stats.  Because of that, she now has to show and prove on the charts.

I do agree with you about creating a classic album.  But one thing's for sure.   If she's writing it alone, it ain't gonna happen.

At this point, you're trolling but I'll answer your post.

For starters, Nicki doesn't need hits to succeed. The only hit off The Pinkprint was Anaconda and that had no longevity. Only & Truffle Butter were moderate hits.

She had no hits going into the album yet The Pinkprint still did 600M on Spotify in the US & over 1B on Spotify in the world. The Pinkprint is certified 2x Platinum which is along the likes of Drake, Kendrick, etc.

This just proves that if the music is good, people will buy and stream her music. Hits really don't mean anything nowadays. Look at all these pop acts like Shawn Mendes & Selena Gomez effortlessly snatching #1 hits on Pop radio yet none of their album have seen a 2x Platinum cert.

yummy

Quote from: OnikaChrist on September 18, 2017, 07:17:27 PM
Imagine comparing Bodak Yellow to hits like Shake It Off & All About That Bass  :dead: keep in mind that urban music didn't really take off until 2015.

how old are you again? :dead:

XXX.

Quote from: OwnIt on September 18, 2017, 07:22:54 PM
But Nicki has both of these things. She's plaqued up and has received a plethora of awards

You stuck in a time machine, sis.

Love you dearly, but that's like saying because Ciara saw a #1 single in 2004, she's still successful in music. 

n

XXX.

Quote from: OnikaChrist on September 18, 2017, 07:23:37 PM
Quote from: XXX. on September 18, 2017, 07:17:53 PM
I don't think it matters

At this point, you're trolling but I'll answer your post.

For starters, Nicki doesn't need hits to succeed. The only hit off The Pinkprint was Anaconda and that had no longevity. Only & Truffle Butter were moderate hits.

She had no hits going into the album yet The Pinkprint still did 600M on Spotify in the US & over 1B on Spotify in the world. The Pinkprint is certified 2x Platinum which is along the likes of Drake, Kendrick, etc.

This just proves that if the music is good, people will buy and stream her music. Hits really don't mean anything nowadays. Look at all these pop acts like Shawn Mendes & Selena Gomez effortlessly snatching #1 hits on Pop radio yet none of their album have seen a 2x Platinum cert.

Nigga, ain't nothing I said to you was a "troll".

I hit you with facts.  You are talking to me about some shit in 2014.  I am talking about right now in 2017 when everything she's throwing out is flopping.  Ya'll so quick to bring up white artists scoring Pop hits.  What does that have to do with anything?  I am talking about Nicki as a female rapper that brags about Hot 100 entries and chart stats, but can't score a #1 or even a solo top 10 these days.

Stay on topic.

Onika

Quote from: ANIMMAI on September 18, 2017, 07:24:30 PM
Quote from: OnikaChrist on September 18, 2017, 07:17:27 PM

how old are you again? :dead:

The Hot 100 chart back in 2014 was HEAVILY pop oriented. Here's a look at the top 10 of the week of Anaconda's #2 peak.

Literally EVERY song in the top 10 was a pop song :kii: Urban didn't start to dominate the Hot 100 until 2015.

fedswatchin

Quote from: XXX. on September 18, 2017, 07:25:25 PM
Quote from: OwnIt on September 18, 2017, 07:22:54 PM

You stuck in a time machine, sis.

Love you dearly, but that's like saying because Ciara saw a #1 single in 2004, she's still successful in music. 

n
She is successful in music :dead: weren't you just saying because Brandy has seen a #1 and a Grammy she was a bad example for this? :dead:

If you wanna troll, just admit it hun