When you Really Think about Brandy's Career...

Started by Rxxf, December 14, 2017, 10:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rxxf

December 14, 2017, 10:55:53 PM Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:56:27 PM by ᚱʌ𐤋ϝ
As an entertainer and the accomplishments... name another bitch who has DONE IT
:letsmessfag:
BRANDY

b7

Ugh why do i always feel like Brandy is about to get dragged on her own board sssssss i don?t even like making threads anymore
:stressed:

What happened to me

Harlem

Brandy really has DONE IT and so much more can be accomplished too with the right team on her side...

NeverSayNever

Harlem

Quote from: 1RIG on December 14, 2017, 11:09:23 PM
Ugh why do i always feel like Brandy is about to get dragged on her own board sssssss i don?t even like making threads anymore

What happened to me

Once Brandy snaps outta this weird stage she?s in right now & starts caring more on how she presents herself visually & on stage, people would at least be content and just only fume about the music

Camo

Or just hire some of us... we've obbsessed over her career so much that most of us have some bomb treatments for her.

HUGO

December 15, 2017, 01:02:28 AM #6 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:03:19 AM by HUGO
Quote from: Harlem on December 14, 2017, 11:48:58 PM

What happened to me

Once Brandy snaps outta this weird stage she?s in right now & starts caring more on how she presents herself visually & on stage, people would at least be content and just only fume about the music

Turs

Lane Bryant Jumpsuit

Quote from: Harlem on December 14, 2017, 11:48:58 PM

What happened to me

[youtube autoplay=1 start=10 end=15][/youtube]
You know the fuck what

Brandy does not and i repeat not owe u or anyone else a single muthafucking thing how she present herself is none of your concern she has paid her fucking dues and shes free to do move how she pleases
and if it feels good to her you fall the fuck in line or step off let them fake ass fans fume about what the fuck they want to doesnt make a bit of difference they gon always complain

Lewie D Im Caramel Bitches Ion Wanna hear Im Actin
Different

jtwoeleven

December 15, 2017, 02:31:14 AM #9 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:33:59 AM by jtwoeleven
I think for some, it's easy to write her off since a large chunk of her successful peak was in the 90s as opposed to a much slower burn to success that's more spread out. I mean, she's had a hand in several different kinds of multimedia entertainment. I honestly think if she was more active/present/visible during the 2000's with ideal conditions, she would've cemented herself as an icon much sooner imo, at least in the eyes of the GP.

But it'll happen. She's getting her just dues, slowly, but surely. I remember on one of the older boards, there was a thread that was pinned called "Artists who praise Brandy" to dispel the sentiment of some that she just fell into the abyss of obscurity. That was several years ago. Now, it's hard to name artists of this current generation who haven't name dropped her as an inspiration or influence. It's amazing how far she's come.

GYNandTONIC

December 15, 2017, 03:52:22 AM #10 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:53:48 AM by GYNandTONIC
When I think of Brandy's career, I usually think of it in comparison to her peers (Mya, Monica, Aaliyah, Usher). Which usually leaves me amazed at what this woman has been able to accomplish. 90% of me feels like there's nothing left to prove, while the other 10% of me feels like there is more to do.

Even in comparison to her peers what she's done in the last 5 years is to be admired. Whether it was a flop or not she reprised herself on tv twice, she has been featured on vastly different artist albums. She's released two videos under her own brand, BROADWAY, and she hit the big screen. She's stayed on a stage and I honestly can't say the same for anyone who is her direct peer. Where others get caught up in how successful these ventures have been ("Oh she had a feature but it wasn't released", " her new show sucks"). I personally understand that Bran is no spring chicken and the industry is very cold to older artist. That's why I celebrate all she has done and continues to do because truth is she very well could be doing nothing at all.

For her to have a song on Jehne album, currently performing, and to be feature on a major network show still shows her relevance and she ain't sitting at home doing nothing. I don't look at her success in term of Rhi and Bey. They are icons and Brandy is a legend, two different expectations IMO. Tho I wish Brandy would do more iconic shit (fashion, videos, magazines) I've accepted her claim is more about her inspiring other artist vocally and musically. Nobodies citing Bey and Rhi as music inspirations and that's okay. Brandy just needs to present herself better and get more into her brand over all and not just the substantive stuff. We are in a era of fluff and she needs to understand that music/acting alone won't sell you. You need a strong image and persona to be in with this new crew, and she cares nothing about that.

brocka4life

It?s simple really, the first 8 years of her career were amazing, legendary, and solidified her place in music. NSN solidified her as a global force. FM solidified her as an iconic vocalist. The projects after that haven?t really done anything to push her beyond where the first 8 years set her up. But I will say, given the fact that she?s only released 2 singles from each of her last 4 albums, the fact that she still makes headlines, trends, and gets the respect from her peers just shows how impactful her first 3 albums/eras were.

I think debating the failures or mishaps of the last 4 eras is pointless. I think hoping for her to get an era ?perfect? is a waste of time. Hoping for visuals and videos may be a stretch at this point. I think the only realistic expectation a person should have, is for her to deliver a good album.

As far as acting, Moesha made her an internationally recognized actress and reruns have introduced her to newer generations. Roxie has sharpened some of her skills. But she has yet to take a movie role or huge acting role where the audience walks away and says she just nailed the it (besides Roxie)

If I had to sum her up as an artist, I?d say phenomenal vocalist, decent actress, good performer. She?s a triple threat, but she seems hesitant to push herself any farther than what she?s comfortable with in any of those areas.

Ma Lo

Brandy has had an amazing career overall. She may not be doing anything now but she's given us a wealth of unreleased material over the years as well as a few movies here and there. She has worked so hard and I'm so proud of her. I think we are hard on her because we want her to maintain that level of success she used to have but that's just not realistic considering how long she's been doing this. She still has longevity at the end of the day and I'm satisfied with that.

jtwoeleven

December 15, 2017, 07:37:45 AM #14 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:44:36 AM by jtwoeleven
Nah, as a performer, I think Brandy's underrated as well. She really stepped up her performance game since the two eleven era. The 2012 BET tribute was SO important for Bran. It wasn't just because she was honoring Whitney, but it was her 1st televised awards show performance in like...nearly a decade. Millions would see her perform, and she had to in a way, prove her abilities as an artist once again, which she did in spades.

This is the same Brandy who, a few years later, had rehearsals for the Babyface tribute on Soul Train, in which her slot was barely a minute long. Yet she had choreo, background dancers, etc all for a one minute performance slot. That's some serious commitment! I can't think of anyone else who would've been as committed for such a short performance as I'd imagine most others would've done a quick walk-on, walk-off and keep it moving. That also speaks to her great relationship with BET. Over the past several years, she became a series regular on one of their hit shows, had her own show again, and has performed at almost all of the networks awards shows.

As a performer, I somewhat echo what Frank Gatson has said about her, and to paraphrase him: she can be a serious problem if she'd allow herself to be. Brandy is a perfectionist and has tended to be critical of herself in the past. It just goes to show that with solid presentation and vision, Bran could really get out there and do some serious damage.