Brandy Settles Legal Battle w/Former Label Over Music

Started by valeolion, December 29, 2017, 03:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valeolion

December 29, 2017, 03:52:46 PM Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:55:15 PM by valeolion
EXCLUSIVE: Brandy Settles Legal Battle w/ Label Over Music

theJasmineBRAND.com exclusively reports, singer Brandy Norwood and her former record label reached a settlement in the lawsuit over her releasing music without their approval and her counter-suit against them. The settlement dismisses all claims against both parties and the case will be closed once the judge signs off on the deal.

Here?s the backstory: As previously reported, Brandy had denied allegations that she breached her deal by releasing new music without their approval and demanding their counter-suit be dismissed ASAP.

Back in July, the singer and actress sued her record label, Chameleon Entertainment, demanding the court void her music deal with the company. She explained that she signed with the label in 2011 and was promised hundreds of thousands to cover production costs for recording. However, she claimed the label covered the expenses for the first album released, but they refused to cover production costs for albums following the first.

She said Chameleon attempted to put pressure on her to pursue non-recording projects such as touring and Broadway shows, which caused her career to be jeopardized due to her not releasing new music. As a result, she sued demanding to be let out of her contract with the label along with a judgement awarding her the hundreds of thousands she was promised.

Chameleon responded, stating that the singer was trying to garner publicity for herself , claiming that her career was over and they took a risk signing Brandy, who hadn?t had a chart single success in over a decade.

Chameleon Entertainment also counter-sued the singer for releasing music without their approval. They denied all of the allegations of wrongdoing in her lawsuit and accused the singer of breaching their deal not them and said any harm caused was her own doing.

Chameleon hit Brandy with a counter-suit explaining everything was fine between them until it was time to record her second album. They said they both agreed to find a different distributor than RCA/Jive, who they used for the first album.

They asked Brandy to participate in recording additional master recordings and auditions, which she was required to do per their deal. She refused to cooperate with the label and would not record any new material. She did release a mixtape and released a song entitled ?Beggin & Pleadin? without their approval.

They demanded she cease selling the album and informed her they owned all rights to music she recorded during her contract term. The label sued demanding damages for Brandy?s violation of their deal along with seeking to have the singer?s suit against them tossed.

Brandy responded to the counter-suit filed, explaining Chameleon cannot legally sue her because back on June 26th, 2016 the company

"was legally dissolved by proclamation or annulment of authority by the New York Secretary of State for failure to file and/or pay franchise tax returns for two or more years."

Brandy stated that the record label couldn?t really sue her because they don?t legally exist and thus have no standing to counter-sue.

Read more: http://thejasminebrand.com/2017/12/29/exclusive-brandy-settles-legal-battle-w-label-over-music/#ixzz52gYJHtAg

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

FlowerBomb

b7

Yes!!!! It?s the fuck time

FINALLY. So these niggas weren?t right from the jump

LOONA.

All that just to dismiss everybody's shit anyway.     

Vonc2002

b7

Brandy stated that the record label couldn?t really sue her because they don?t legally exist and thus have no standing to counter-sue.

Cnncncmcncmncnc YES Brandy and Sonja! DESTROY them

FlowerBomb

Quote from: Andrais. on December 29, 2017, 03:57:24 PM
gggffggg but !!!!
Waste of fucking time

b7

Quote from: Andrais. on December 29, 2017, 03:57:24 PM
i think the main thing is that it?s just all over either way. They don?t own her
:stressed:

Vonc2002

Quote from: 1RIG on December 29, 2017, 03:57:47 PM

I loved that part. This how to get away with murder episode :dead:

b7

Quote from: Vonc2002 on December 29, 2017, 03:58:36 PM
Quote from: 1RIG on December 29, 2017, 03:57:47 PM

I loved that part. This how to get away with murder episode :dead:
!!!
:plzstop:

Not u don?t even EXIST

LOONA.