Here Are 20 Pop Songs That Turn 20 This Year

Started by Lazarus, January 16, 2018, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

Britney Spears, "?Baby One More Time"
There are few, if any, debut singles as legendary as this in pop music. And unlike a number of songs from 1998, this one doesn't rely on nostalgia to move the crowd or inspire a sing-along. That winking, dirty piano riff and Britney's defiant, aching delivery ensure that "?Baby One More Time" is an ageless pop classic along the lines of ABBA's "Dancing Queen" -- when it comes on, you're gonna dance. No questions asked.

Cher, "Believe"
Before T-Pain took Auto-Tune to grade school, Cher invited the world to its baptism with "Believe," a mashup of dance-pop and European club music that didn't sound like anything else on the radio in 1998, which is probably why everyone -- from adults who thought of her as a throwback to children who had no idea what a Sonny Bono was -- couldn't get enough of it. It hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, making Cher the oldest woman to ever top that chart at age 52 -- a record that sadly still holds.

Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston, "When You Believe"
How do you get Mariah Carey to sing for a middling children's movie? G-O-D. Well before contributing to 2017's animated nativity tale The Star, Mimi teamed up with Whitney Houston for another religious kids movie that got mixed reviews, The Prince of Egypt. That flick might not be in the '90s Kids Canon, but at least it afforded us the opportunity to hear two once-in-a-generation voices blend their pipes together for nearly five minutes. And perhaps in a nod to the whole biblical humility thing, neither diva tried to one-up the other: Instead, they focused on selling the simple beauty of the song's melody. And considering it won a best original song Oscar, it seems to have worked.

Shania Twain, "You're Still the One"
Of the 16 songs on Shania Twain's blockbuster Come on Over album, a stunning 12 were released as singles. Let that sink in. Only one, however, remains her biggest hit to date: "You're Still the One," which peaked at No. 2 on the Hot 100 and can still be heard at weddings worldwide. Look how far it's come.

Brandy & Monica, "The Boy Is Mine"
As the lead single from both Brandy and Monica's second albums and a quasi-sequel to Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney's "The Girl Is Mine," the stakes were high for "The Boy Is Mine." Miraculously, this duet from two nascent talents easily one-upped the original from the two pop titans. From clubs to playgrounds to weddings, "The Boy Is Mine" was an instant classic and inescapable pop culture phenomenon. Credit the divas, who showed simmering restraint always resonates more with listeners than an all-out vocal belt-fest. And the song itself is a brilliant study in contrast, with heavenly harp plucking, a swampy bass line and Rodney Jerkins' James Bond-esque string arrangement demonstrating that disparate sounds are sometimes the best bedfellows.

BAPHOMET.

QuoteMariah Carey "When You Believe"
How do you get Mariah Carey to sing for a middling children's movie? G-O-D. Well before contributing to 2017's animated nativity tale The Star, Mimi teamed up with ----- for another religious kids movie that got mixed reviews, The Prince of Egypt. That flick might not be in the '90s Kids Canon, but at least it afforded us the opportunity to hear two once-in-a-generation voices blend their pipes together for nearly five minutes. And perhaps in a nod to the whole biblical humility thing, neither diva tried to one-up the other: Instead, they focused on selling the simple beauty of the song's melody. And considering it won a best original song Oscar, it seems to have worked.

:loose2when: this Iconic ass song.

b7

Wait who wrote when you believe? 

Both duets are so iconic, i have never. Music was slaying so hard back then
:plzstop:

In EVERY genre

Admin