Halle Berry, Lena Waithe Join 'Boomerang' Sequel at BET

Started by Lazarus, September 24, 2018, 01:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

BET's Boomerang sequel is beginning to take shape.

Oscar-winner Halle Berry and Emmy-winner Lena Waithe have signed on to executive produce the Viacom-owned cable network's 10-episode straight-to-series comedy.

Initially described as an updated version of the 1992 Eddie Murphy and Robin Givens feature, the half-hour comedy is now being described as a sequel. The series will follow the lives of Jacqueline Boyer's (Givens) son and Marcus (Murphy) and Angela Graham's (Berry) daughter as they attempt to step out of their parents' shadows and make a legacy of their own.

Waithe will co-write the pilot alongside showrunner Ben Cory Jones (Underground, Insecure) with Dime Davis on board to direct that as well as multiple other episodes, including the finale. Davis will reunite with Waithe after the duo worked together on the latter's Showtime drama The Chi as well as Netflix film Step Sisters. Waithe's Hillman Grad Productions vp production and development Rishi Rajani will also exec produce the Paramount Television comedy.

"This is less of a reboot and more of a continuation of the original story,? Waithe said. ?There?s no point in trying to remake a classic. It can?t be done. So, we want to create something fresh that speaks to a new generation. We hope people will come to the show with an open mind and ready to embrace the new world we?ve created!?

Boomerang was among the first pickups for Scott Mills, who was tapped in December to replace longtime BET exec Debra Lee as president of the cable network.

"Partnering an icon such as Halle with a disruptor like Lena is a perfect blend for the creation of a project that tells a classic tale in a relevant voice,? Mills said. "This partnership demonstrates BET?s commitment to the continued elevation of the brand, collective creativity and authentic storytelling."

For her part, Waithe earned an Emmy for co-writing Netflix's Master of None. Boomerang joins Waithe's TV slate that includes The Chi, TBS' Twenties, Amazon horror anthology Them and HBO's untitled Kid Fury project, among others.

Berry, meanwhile, returns to the franchise after playing Murphy's love interest in the original 1992 feature film. She will next be seen in John Wick: Chapter 3 and Bruised, which will also be her feature directorial debut.

"I'm thrilled to team up with Lena on this project as she is without a doubt a leading voice of her generation and a trailblazer in her own right. I?m truly excited to be a part of bringing this iconic and beloved film to the small screen,? Berry said.

A premiere date for Boomerang has not yet been determined.

RAY7

This is interesting since it?s a series and not a movie
I?ll watch

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

🦚

Hear 'em swarmin', right? (Zz) 🐝 🐝  is known to bite (Zz, zz)
——————///——————-
https://justiceforbreonna.org/

STUNNA GOD

I don?t think I?ve even seen Boomerang, but yea...

I?m sick of all these remakes n mess. It?s late and new generation don?t even fucking give a damn.

:udontlookok:

Vonc2002

September 24, 2018, 03:26:50 PM #13 Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:27:00 PM by Vonc2002
Quote from: Trey on September 24, 2018, 03:26:03 PM
I don?t think I?ve even seen Boomerang

Go to fckn hell :uhh:
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw