Got My AncestryDNA results

Started by 'ology, January 25, 2016, 09:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King

I'm from GODna....i really want to do this test though.....i wanna see if there's any other west african mess in my blood

how much does it cost?

'ology

Quote from: King on January 25, 2016, 09:34:13 PM
I'm from GODna....i really want to do this test though.....i wanna see if there's any other west african mess in my blood

how much does it cost?

I think it's on sale now for $79.
Blessed Be The Mufuckin Fruit!!!

Herb.

January 25, 2016, 09:43:48 PM #17 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:49:41 PM by Herbie
Quote from: ВRΔNDYology on January 25, 2016, 09:22:34 PM
Quote from: Herbie on January 25, 2016, 09:20:39 PM
Amazing. You're mostly West African.

And you appear to have traces of Native DNA, Siberia popped up on your GEDMatch as well as East Asia on your Ancestry mess. But it could be error/statistical noise. Do you know of any Native ancestors?

Yeah almost exactly half west African !
And my grandad was rumored it's like around 4-5% total Asian/native American dna
What I've learned is that there's no real substitute for traditional genealogy (in regards to NA heritage at least) Many of our families have these rumors about NA ancestry, but Siberia popping up in GEDMatch, East Asia, etc. . I have to say that some signs are there. It's worth exploring if you care.

My advice would be to research. 1) Where was his family from 2) Which tribe .. etc. See if there is any evidence to support these results.

Very few full blooded Native Americans offer their samples to these DNA tests so there's such a small pool of  DNA to compare us to, and determine a match. In my case, traditional genealogy was a much bigger revealer than the DNA test. Honestly I don't even think I needed to take it to confirm who I am, at least in regard to Native ancestry. it was all right there all along.

My grandmother just never really talked about it. But once I told her I found her Aunt Leola Uncle Badger and mess suddenly her memory was back :udontlookok: she was holding out. But she was raised on a Native settlement. So I guess she just saw these people as her family. It's nothing exciting or edgy to her. But I'm living :plzstop: :plzstop:

GHana has such a rich history, you should be honored to be part of the club.  :raycharles2urmess: :raycharles2urmess: And 37% Cameroon is fucking HUGE. Your ancestry definitely lies in this area. Most AA's get results of 20% here, 24% there, etc. But you really have a bulls eye on where to start your African journey! Congratulations. I'm so happy for you.

I encourage you to research GHana as well, because the combination of both GHana and Cameroon means your mess is in that REGION. They're right next to each other. Congratulations my bvy boo! If you need anything please PM me

'ology

January 25, 2016, 09:54:10 PM #18 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:54:48 PM by ВRΔNDYology
The Native American even the Europe mess is kinda irrelevant right now lol I'm still shocked it was so high with African Dna it's really amazing. I'm really tryna break it down bc the info I'm getting from ged is amazing.

The only flaw is that my test didn't test for East African did yours? Mine said something like "not tested".

Bc my dad always said his maternal side is from east Africa so that's why I really went on GED and it showed 18-20% East African. And appearance wise my brother and I look more from that region.

But it's crazy I got a lil bit of every part of Africa lol

KingOfHearts

Dats dope bro your roots are really strong in Africa I need to do mines man. 
My Queens!!

Herb.

Quote from: ВRΔNDYology on January 25, 2016, 09:26:32 PM
I was suprised though since I'm kinda lighter complexion that I didn't have more European. Then I started googling my East African hits Ethiopia and Somalia and I swear I seen ppl that look just like some on my dad's side.
This just speaks to the NATURAL variety of looks we have in Africa.

This is why I was fuming when someone generalized them to one look.
:plzstop: :plzstop:

Africa is so fucking diverse :ohwow:

:stressed:

East Africa, West, South and East all have their own mess.

Your GEDMatch has pretty high levels of Khoisan (Southeast African) Way higher than the average for AA's. I wanna run it through ONE more test with a Khoisan component to see if it's consistent. If it is, your DNA is way more diverse than Ancestry is telling you. GEDMatch slays when it comes to breaking it down. What is your kit #?

'ology

Quote from: KingOfHearts on January 25, 2016, 09:55:22 PM
Dats dope bro your roots are really strong in Africa I need to do mines man.

Man it's crazy even with the slave trade and racial mixing that I still hold this much of Africa within me!
You definitely should it's crazy to know that you're actually a descendant of the people of these great civilizations and empires.

Herb.

January 25, 2016, 10:06:54 PM #22 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:09:20 PM by Herbie
Quote from: King on January 25, 2016, 09:34:13 PM

how much does it cost?
If you take it you should be advised that even though your roots are in GHana, and it should definitely be the first mess on the list, the test may also catch traces of nearby regions, like Cameroon, Nigeria, etc. Doesn't necessarily mean that you have ancestry there, because you have to keep in mind that DNA does not respect manmade geographical boundaries between countries.

So if they are immediately surrounding areas (kinda like GODology's mess), it just shows the region. And GHana should definitely be the highest concentration. Here's an example:

It shouldn't be taken literally unless it's all the way south touching Angola, Mozambique, etc . (in amounts more than 5-7%) Then there's definitely some other mess you didn't know about :ohwow:

'ology

Yeah GED>>>>
My west is deff closer to 50% ancestry didn't say anything about anywhere else, but I have like another 20% of like south and central Africa. I got tons of hits back to Keyna, Tanzania, etc that mess even found some North African Moroccan zzzzzzz.

Inject My Lips

Your so lucky you have 37% from one country, that is really rare for African Americans!  How long did it take for you to get results?  I just mailed mine in today.

Herb.

January 25, 2016, 10:25:38 PM #25 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:31:05 PM by Herbie
Quote from: ВRΔNDYology on January 25, 2016, 10:09:07 PM
Yeah GED>>>>
My west is deff closer to 50% ancestry didn't say anything about anywhere else, but I have like another 20% of like south and central Africa. I got tons of hits back to Keyna, Tanzania, etc that mess even found some North African Moroccan zzzzzzz.
nnnnnn

GEDMatch is amazing. Just be careful with their descriptions and sources. When I didn't understand how to read it when I first started with it, the mess had me thinking I was part Puerto Rican :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :plzstop: :plzstop:

The biggest thing to remember in all of this is never to take anything LITERALLY. That is the biggest mess I had to learn. For instance: If Jacob takes an Ancestry test, it may show him that he is like 46% GHana, 12% Nigeria, and 10% PsychoNigger. What he shouldn't jump to conclude immediately is "Oh wow! I'm part Nigerian :wellheythere: " Biggest mistake to make. Now if he saw some mess pop up in a nearly totally different region, like SouthEastern Bantu (in amounts of 7-10% or more), he may have some investigating to do. Because Ancestry's SE region is nowhere near GHana.

Also, be careful of which GEDMatch tests you are taking. Make sure you are using tests that are designed for people of AA heritage. It seems like you are already so that's good.

Some great tests for us:
Happaworld
Eurogenes K36
puntDNAL Africa Only

And some others. Make sure you read the description on top of each test. If the test is intended for a specific group of people, which a lot of them are (ex: people mixed with Asian and European, etc), it will note it on top so you don't waste your time.

The most helpful tool is Oracle 4, which is something you can find at the bottom of most GEDMatch results. The regular Oracle mess is pretty useless for AA's , don't even bother. Oracle 4 will give you a breakdown. Which should look like this:

African American + African American + Dominican + Cracker @ 1.92929%

What it's doing is basically giving you its guess of where your 4 grandparents origins lie. And remember its a guess. Also, the number next to the results. The LOWER the number is, the better, because that means that it may really be close to your actual ancestry.

For instance:

Dominican + African American + Afro Caribbean + Afro Caribbean @ 27.0000% =
LOW chance of this being accurate

Dominican + African American + Afro Caribbean + Afro Caribbean @ 5.0000%
HIGHER chance of this being accurate.

3% or lower are the only results worth paying attention to usually. Because it should be close. But again, don't take them literally. I got a result for Russia, but this does not mean that I am part Russian. Natives traveled from Russia (Siberia) to North America, so this could be what the test is trying to get at.

Never take it literally. DNA tests are a great starting point but if you're serious , making connections involves research and patience.  :wub:

'ology

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I am screaming!!!

Thanks for the information I'll be hitting u up when I get lost. This mess was beyond confusing lol

'ology

Quote from: Hazeleyes on January 25, 2016, 10:18:33 PM
Your so lucky you have 37% from one country, that is really rare for African Americans!  How long did it take for you to get results?  I just mailed mine in today.

It was almost exactly 4 weeks for the entire process.

tigernathan

Quote from: ВRΔNDYology on January 25, 2016, 09:26:32 PM
I was suprised though since I'm kinda lighter complexion that I didn't have more European. Then I started googling my East African hits Ethiopia and Somalia and I swear I seen ppl that look just like some on my dad's side.

v

tears

RekeRig

Quote from: Herbie on January 25, 2016, 10:25:38 PM
Quote from: ВRΔNDYology on January 25, 2016, 10:09:07 PM
Yeah GED>>>>
nnnnnn

GEDMatch is amazing. Just be careful with their descriptions and sources. When I didn't understand how to read it when I first started with it, the mess had me thinking I was part Puerto Rican :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :plzstop: :plzstop:

The biggest thing to remember in all of this is never to take anything LITERALLY. That is the biggest mess I had to learn. For instance: If Jacob takes an Ancestry test, it may show him that he is like 46% GHana, 12% Nigeria, and 10% PsychoNigger. What he shouldn't jump to conclude immediately is "Oh wow! I'm part Nigerian :wellheythere: " Biggest mistake to make. Now if he saw some mess pop up in a nearly totally different region, like SouthEastern Bantu (in amounts of 7-10% or more), he may have some investigating to do. Because Ancestry's SE region is nowhere near GHana.

Also, be careful of which GEDMatch tests you are taking. Make sure you are using tests that are designed for people of AA heritage. It seems like you are already so that's good.

Some great tests for us:
Happaworld
Eurogenes K36
puntDNAL Africa Only

And some others. Make sure you read the description on top of each test. If the test is intended for a specific group of people, which a lot of them are (ex: people mixed with Asian and European, etc), it will note it on top so you don't waste your time.

The most helpful tool is Oracle 4, which is something you can find at the bottom of most GEDMatch results. The regular Oracle mess is pretty useless for AA's , don't even bother. Oracle 4 will give you a breakdown. Which should look like this:

African American + African American + Dominican + Cracker @ 1.92929%

What it's doing is basically giving you its guess of where your 4 grandparents origins lie. And remember its a guess. Also, the number next to the results. The LOWER the number is, the better, because that means that it may really be close to your actual ancestry.

For instance:

Dominican + African American + Afro Caribbean + Afro Caribbean @ 27.0000% =
LOW chance of this being accurate

Dominican + African American + Afro Caribbean + Afro Caribbean @ 5.0000%
HIGHER chance of this being accurate.

3% or lower are the only results worth paying attention to usually. Because it should be close. But again, don't take them literally. I got a result for Russia, but this does not mean that I am part Russian. Natives traveled from Russia (Siberia) to North America, so this could be what the test is trying to get at.

Never take it literally. DNA tests are a great starting point but if you're serious , making connections involves research and patience.  :wub:
omg Afro YES

you're so knowledgable (not saying u know everything because i know ur still learning) now  :uhh: wtf this is so inspiring, just in
terms of how committed you are