How did you grow up.. Poor, middle class, wealthy or rich? And did it affect

Started by GLOCK, July 01, 2016, 02:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLOCK

The space you are in as an adult (relationships, career, education, friendships)

Let's discuss!  :blush:

GRAND

I grew up eating off of plates made from folded up 100 dollar bills

And they were disposable

:wellheythere:

Treasure

'fro & ton'  :stressed:

i luv it wen ppl proud where they come frm
journeys comin' up >>

Rxxf

I've learned that being wealthy is relative.
If you're used to living on 500k salary, making 100k may seem daunting.
If you're used to living on a 20k salary, making 100k may be the fucking business.

Although there is the obvious poverty vs. rich spectrum.

Um, ultimately, money isn't everything - although a powerful tool.
But RESOURCES and EXPOSURE are everything.
And resources can come in many different ways.

Did you have caregivers who instilled education? That's a resource.
Were you taught to work, earn and manage your keep, no matter how rich or poor your family was? That's a resource.
It shapes who you are and what you end up doing later in life IF YOU PAY ATTENTION.
BRANDY

Treasure

but for me
i had it tha hardest than an'one here

we lived in a 'section 8' type area
shootings
men fightin men
woman fightin woman
men fightin woman
dogs fightin cats
funk fightin evrybody

a typa place where if u walked out on ur small porch tha wrong way, u'd get shot thru tha skull!
my mom work 3 jobs
one frm home on a stolen pc she got frm my cousin red
& one at a lil old ppl home and anothr at tha nearby gas station
she was shot at so many times but still manage to come home & feed us tha lil scraps she would

we were in danger evryday goin to skool but thnk GOD me & 8 siblings actually WENT and did WELL
honors & evrything
im tha middle but my older siblings all got accepted into ivy leagues
i went to MIT
younger siblings are headed tha same route
youngest is evn gettin calls frm princeton

im estremely happy for my come up wit my fam'!

JRocka

Well I grew up in a financially stable family who kept me on the right path educational wise even though I use to skip school to smoke blunts with friends and stuff. Now I'm an independent, career oriented guy who works hard as fuck for what he wants. Friends wise I'm surrounded with good people and I'm married to my 2 jobs and coins...fuck a nigga at this point

GLOCK

I grew up in the projects and in the hood
Often times homeless ..
But my mother worked very hard to get us from one side of town to another
I appreciate everything I've worked hard for because I remember not having food.. Not knowing where id sleep and things..
And I respect my mother for showing us the meaning of climbing from the bottom up..
That's why I was so determined to graduate college.. It was for her ...
And anyone that dates me hears my story and is so shocked .. I guess because of the way i carry myself and shit..
It just helped me appreciate ppl as well..

Cartierline

Middle class.

Even though I grew up in a family of 8 (6 children), there weren't a lot of things myself and my siblings wanted that we didn't get.

Scott.

I grew up by Redbud Park. Wasn't the best neighborhood, but it wasn't the worst. My mother was a teacher's assistant and that monthly check wasn't enough to do shit with. I don't see how we made it but we did. But she later quit that job and she's now been working for the US Postal Service for like 19 years. We didn't always have EVERYTHING, but my mom made it her BUSINESS to make sure we were well taken care of even if she had to go without.

Vonc2002

Quote from: Cartier on July 01, 2016, 03:07:12 PM
Middle class.

Even though I grew up in a family of 6 (4 children), there weren't a lot of things myself and my siblings wanted that we didn't get.
Yea, this.  I went to pretty good schools as well which is what i think has given me an appreciation for intelligence, different ethnicities, and different views. Some of the bigot style comments here are :uhh: to me at times tbh. I think it has had an impact on who i hang out with.  Most of my friends are pretty successful,  college graduates, etc. I wouldnt turn my nose up at "urban" friends tho. im all for accepting people but what I can't deal with are idiots.......or someone i deem so.  Intelligent conversation and SOMETHING going for urself if im gonna hang out with u.
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

hewritez

This is an interesting topic.

I grew up in the 1% . My father was a doctor in private practice and he owned a hotel. We lived in a small Midwestern town so income was high and expense was low. That meant everything was paid for: foreign travel, clothes, cars, college, apartment after college, everything.

I don't think it was the best thing for me.

I spent alot of time being a complete fuck-up. I was aimless and spoiled. I was afraid of coming out of the closet and being cut off financially. I was afraid of telling my parents I wanted to be an artist. Since they paid for everything, I felt like they OWNED me.

I'm slowly making moves in my career and I think that's partly because I cut myself off. They still help me with things, but since I moved to L.A., I've been doing it on my own. I live in a modest apartment in the valley. I budget myself. I'm focused on making something for myself and hopefully one day I'll be at their level.

But in terms of relationships: I have ALWAYS been drawn to people who grew up lower-middle-class. I don't know why. Maybe because I really admire people who work their way up, and I think we can learn alot from each other.

Vonc2002

Quote from: hewritez on July 01, 2016, 03:28:43 PM
This is an interesting topic.

I grew up in the 1% . My father was a doctor in private practice and he owned a hotel. We lived in a small Midwestern town so income was high and expense was low. That meant everything was paid for: foreign travel, clothes, cars, college, apartment after college, everything.

I don't think it was the best thing for me.

I spent alot of time being a complete fuck-up. I was aimless and spoiled. I was afraid of coming out of the closet and being cut off financially. I was afraid of telling my parents I wanted to be an artist. Since they paid for everything, I felt like they OWNED me.

I'm slowly making moves in my career and I think that's partly because I cut myself off. They still help me with things, but since I moved to L.A., I've been doing it on my own. I live in a modest apartment in the valley. I budget myself. I'm focused on making something for myself and hopefully one day I'll be at their level.

But in terms of relationships: I have ALWAYS been drawn to people who grew up lower-middle-class. I don't know why. Maybe because I really admire people who work their way up, and I think we can learn alot from each other.
Beautiful. I do think that growing up with money can cripple u. I think just enough money to be able to live comfortably but not enough that makes u forget the value of things is best. I feel like my youngest brother is spoiled a bit and it's to his detriment tbh. I went to school and figured out how to do things. I was very hands on with paperwork, buying my first car,  etc.  He got alot of things handed to him and it has done him a disservice imhfo

Opposites Attract.

Well-off middle class and it made me naive asf but my upbringing prepared me to be a man. Deal with responsibility and stuff. My parents are always there for me.

I think the hardest thing that I've had to deal with and still do deal with everyday is being gay. I'm the only fag in my household and out of 5 brothers.

I'm definitely coming into a better space in my life though.

It's unconditional, these days you know....