lil sis made a mental health thread in jest earlier...

Started by Ashley Bank$, July 05, 2016, 04:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley Bank$

but it was actually a good question.
the question was why don't we as Black people take mental health "seriously"

And I was thinking of it.

We do often simply say "go to church and pray about it, ask the Lord to **insert request here** and it'll be OK"

and my GUESS as to why we do this is ...
way back in the days all we had was religion. thru slavery, thru blatantly open oppression
we didn't have resources -- specifically the funds -- to hire psychologists and mess to really dig in and talk about things.

All we really had was church. even when we were in chains as slaves , church and prayer is one thing they couldn't take from us so I think we became so heavily reliant on it as some sort of fix-all and soothe-all solution. I mean if it got us through slavery, what CAN'T it help? :cheerup:

I think its very generational, just as generational as pig intestines being seen as a palatable dish. :diddraispoot: one of those things from slavery that have yet to exit our community.

Just my thoughts on it, at 4:20 in the morning. sdsdssdsd
nite  :sobusyjetsetter:

MelMel

MelMel

MelMel

When you lie to me,  you only lying to yourself  :stressed:

MelMel

But seriously, it's the church. We've been conditioned to rely on it for everything when they can only do so much.

FlowerBomb

It's actually a big deal
Black men and women are diagnosed with more serious mental diseases than their white counterparts, as well as mental health being seen as something that can be 'fixed' with prayer

https://www.theguardian.com/healthcare-network/2014/oct/28/tackle-mental-health-inequality-black-people