Gospel Singer Shirley Caesar Sues Over Unauthorized 'Hold My Mule' Remix

Started by Lazarus, December 10, 2016, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

Grammy-winning gospel singer Shirley Caesar, whose sermon-song "Hold My Mule" went viral a few years ago, is suing a Georgia rapper over a remix of her song.

The lawsuit, filed this week in Gwinnett County, accuses Keenan Webb -- known as DJ Suede -- of releasing an unauthorized version. The clerk's office says the court file does not yet list an attorney for Webb.

Caesar's attorney, James Walker, said the only official version authorized by her has been performed by Snoop Dogg.

Walker said Suede's video of the song includes references to alcohol, which is objectionable to the gospel singer.

Caesar said she originally recorded the song in 1988. Caesar's singing the words "you name it" sparked the #UNameItChallenge online, which features people doing dances to the song.

Opposites Attract.

It's unconditional, these days you know....

BranLover

I don't blame her. It was cute at first, but then they started turning it into mess.

.betterwiseup

I would sue his ass too. Nigga put the song on iTunes without her permission.

pettypatty

Well yeah she was on Wendy talking about hopefully she can make some money off her song going viral

I was like....  :uhh:

TRY.It.AGAIN

V

Why wouldn't Shirl' want a Piece of the Coin?  :blink: These Remixes are streaming Downe and the Sales are kinda bananas. These fools should be Tieng Queen in from jump.

Cardi B., and B is for Barbie? please say thw BARBIE!

GLOCK

n
Why would he not get this cleared? She's doing the right thing
But I'm confused
Why does it say a few years ago

TRY.It.AGAIN

Quote from: glock on December 10, 2016, 05:16:20 PM
n
Why would he not get this cleared? She's doing the right thing
But I'm confused
Why does it say a few years ago

One of the girls said it went semi-viral a few years back w/o the 808.

Cardi B., and B is for Barbie? please say thw BARBIE!