Spinoff: Old Scandals that Would Have Broken Social Media

Started by ssw4919, June 09, 2016, 04:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLOCK

Quote from: ssw4919 on June 09, 2016, 05:09:12 PM
The way Aaliyah's scandal was revealed was so odd.  They were runnin around saying they were best friends, him doing her entire album, dressed like twins, had in her singing inappropriate lyrics... Who DOES that with a 15 year-old girl and you are a nearly 39 year-old man?   :diddraispoot:

Everyone thought it was awkward, but no one knew exactly how old she was at first.  They just knew she was in high school.

Then, randomly, VIBE magazine published an article about R Kelly and just casually dropped the Aaliyah bomb in it.  Like, "Oh hey, look, we found a copy of a marriage certificate where she lied and said she was 15.   :rthosehotwings:"
I thought she was 15 and they lied about her being 16...
Don't tell me she was 14 in real life?

Lazarus

Quote from: Glock on June 09, 2016, 05:10:23 PM
Quote from: Zinc on June 09, 2016, 05:08:55 PM
Quote from: .betterwiseup on June 09, 2016, 05:07:32 PM
James Brown beat Tammi Terrell in the head with a hammer backstage at a concert.

Her unsung story was so sad. He used to abuse her terribly.
The way the men in her life shitted on her  :uhh:
All the while it was so apparent that she wanted Marvin to step in and save her and LOVE HER

Crazy thing is... Marvin is the one that needed saving

They both needed saving tbh.

.betterwiseup

Aaliyah's uncle was managing R. Kelly back then and he already had made a name for himself. He was like the co-sign.
Thinking back it was weird as hell that they were dressing alike.
Aaliyah was very mature for her age so you would never think she was only 15 years old.

GLOCK

Quote from: Zinc on June 09, 2016, 05:13:04 PM
James Brown beat Tammi Terrell in the head with a hammer backstage at a concert.

All the while it was so apparent that she wanted Marvin to step in and save her and LOVE HER

yes!
The demons in their worlds..
Eek!
It's like the only peace that had was when they would go into the studio together

They were spiraling out of control
Didn't they say Marvin went into an even deeper depression after she past?
Cuz he was so in love with her ?

merkaba

Quote from: Glock on June 09, 2016, 05:12:00 PM
Not that it makes it any worst

I just farted

She was 15. It's rumored that her uncle orchestrated the whole thing.

.betterwiseup

I think the marriage license was a publicity stunt to get people talking.
The interviewer brought up the marriage rumors

merkaba

I don't think Marvin saw it for Tammi like that. He admired her tho. Her life story is tragic. I don't get why all those men abused her :uhh:

ssw4919

Quote from: Gilgamesh. on June 09, 2016, 04:57:27 PM
Funny thing is, I think if Janet's titty popped owt now or there was IG back then I don't think it would have been as big of a deal. There would have been memes for a week or two, Balck Twitter would have ran it to the ground and at worst her era would have gone to shit. I don't think her career would have suffered as much.

Yep.  It's crazy that in just ten, fifteen years, we are so desensitized to things that would have caused an uproar back then.  Sex tapes and nude pics are common now, but not so much back then.

I remember how people marveled at JLo's infamous Grammy dress back in the day, and talked about how revealing it was.  It wouldn't cause anyone to bat a lash today.

Same with Lil Kim's infamous pasties outfit she wore to the VMAs when Diana bounced her tit.  Or the spread-eagle Hardcore cover.  Or the kiss between Madonna and Brit.  That stuff made people gasp back then.  Today we're like :overit: .

Makes me wonder how low the standards will be in 20 years.   :damselindistress:

merkaba

People said that David Ruffin beat her so bad that she bleed in the brain.

ssw4919

Quote from: Glock on June 09, 2016, 05:11:43 PM
Quote from: ssw4919 on June 09, 2016, 05:09:12 PM
The way Aaliyah's scandal was revealed was so odd.  They were runnin around saying they were best friends, him doing her entire album, dressed like twins, had in her singing inappropriate lyrics... Who DOES that with a 15 year-old girl and you are a nearly 39 year-old man?   :diddraispoot:

Everyone thought it was awkward, but no one knew exactly how old she was at first.  They just knew she was in high school.

Then, randomly, VIBE magazine published an article about R Kelly and just casually dropped the Aaliyah bomb in it.  Like, "Oh hey, look, we found a copy of a marriage certificate where she lied and said she was 15.   :rthosehotwings:"
I thought she was 15 and they lied about her being 16...
Don't tell me she was 14 in real life?

She was 15 and lied to the courts and said she was 18 so that she could get married.  She must have used a fake ID or something.  They were able to get the marriage annulled because she used false info for the license, and was actually underage.

When Aaliyah first came out, she was 15.  She avoided questions about exactly how old she was.

Lazarus

Quote from: Glock on June 09, 2016, 05:14:47 PM

yes!
The demons in their worlds..
Eek!
It's like the only peace that had was when they would go into the studio together

They were spiraling out of control
Didn't they say Marvin went into an even deeper depression after she past?
Cuz he was so in love with her ?

Yeah he did become depressed but they both were in love with each other. However he had a family and wife at the time.

ssw4919

Oh I see now.  My bad, my post had typos.  :dead:  She lied and said she was 18, not 15.  And he was almost 30, not almost 39.  I edited.

Lazarus

Quote from: merkaba on June 09, 2016, 05:18:08 PM
People said that David Ruffin beat her so bad that she bleed in the brain.

As a child she suffered from severe headaches all those beatings upside her head made it worse.

GLOCK

As sick as it sounds .. I don't blame r Kelly as much as I blame her parents and her disgusting uncle :usuresis:

The way everyone just threw her out to the wolves..
Whether it had been r Kelly or any adult male ... She would've ended up wrapped in a similar scandal because of their poor guardianship