Spinoff: Old Scandals that Would Have Broken Social Media

Started by ssw4919, June 09, 2016, 04:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouravMay

iono Brandy and Wanya had a big age difference too... I feel like women mature quicker
B7

Lazarus

Quote from: Magnolia Maymuru on June 09, 2016, 05:29:13 PM
iono Brandy and Wanya had a big age difference too... I feel like women mature quicker

I always wondered why the media never made a big deal out of their relationship.

Aalumeci.

Quote from: ssw4919 on June 09, 2016, 05:09:12 PM
The way Aaliyah's scandal was revealed was so odd.  They were runnin around saying they were best friends, him doing her entire album, dressed like twins, had in her singing inappropriate lyrics... Who DOES that with a 15 year-old girl and you are a nearly 30 year-old man?   :diddraispoot:

Everyone thought it was awkward, but no one knew exactly how old she was at first.  They just knew she was in high school.

Then, randomly, VIBE magazine published an article about R Kelly and just casually dropped the Aaliyah bomb in it.  Like, "Oh hey, look, we found a copy of a marriage certificate where she lied and said she was 18.   :rthosehotwings:"

we know

merkaba

Quote from: Glock on June 09, 2016, 05:25:35 PM
As sick as it sounds .. I don't blame r Kelly as much as I blame her parents and her disgusting uncle :usuresis:

The way everyone just threw her out to the wolves..
Whether it had been r Kelly or any adult male ... She would've ended up wrapped in a similar scandal because of their poor guardianship

The thing is it wasn't poor guardianship. They knew. A journalist talked about how he was at a studio with 'Bert, Liyah and her family. He said they were acting like a couple fjjjjj

A lot of people don't know but they were being marketed as a couple via magazines and televised interviews  :plzstop: People who were older around that time said how they were doing photoshoots in matching outfits and stuff. Her own cousin said how there was Faith and Biggie at the time and how celeb relationships were a THING like wtfff. So it's obvious the whole 'scandal' aspect was orchestrated.

ssw4919

Quote from: .betterwiseup on June 09, 2016, 05:15:35 PM
I think the marriage license was a publicity stunt to get people talking.
The interviewer brought up the marriage rumors

d

Talking?  Robert could have (should have) gone to jail for that.  And Aaliyah was put in a really bad position once it came to light.  It followed her to this day. 

Imagine you have a major artist-producer who takes the helm of a young prot?g?s ENTIRE project.  Every note she sang was produced by R Kelly.  He even lurked on her album cover.

Suddenly, the scandal breaks and they have to annul the marriage, lie and deny, and deal with a ton of backlash.  Oh, and she can never work with him again, for propriety's sake.  Now she has to record a second album with an entirely restructured sound and image because she can't depend on the guy who helped make her a star, the only person she worked with up to this point.

Thankfully, she met virtual unknowns Timbaland and Missy, and the rest is history. But it could have just as easily gone the other way with Aaliyah flopping and fading into obscurity without R Kelly.  Her uncle said they had a hard time finding big producers to work with her on OIAM.

That marriage license and scandal really almost ruined her career.  It certainly damaged her reputation.

If she were alive when the R Kelly sex tapes leaked, she would have never heard the end of it.  They may have called her to the stand. 

merkaba

Quote from: Zinc on June 09, 2016, 05:31:41 PM

I always wondered why the media never made a big deal out of their relationship.

Was it ever confirmed they were together?

GLOCK

Quote from: merkaba on June 09, 2016, 05:34:32 PM
As sick as it sounds .. I don't blame r Kelly as much as I blame her parents and her disgusting uncle :usuresis:

Whether it had been r Kelly or any adult male ... She would've ended up wrapped in a similar scandal because of their poor guardianship

The thing is it wasn't poor guardianship. They knew. A journalist talked about how he was at a studio with 'Bert, Liyah and her family. He said they were acting like a couple fjjjjj

A lot of people don't know but they were being marketed as a couple via magazines and televised interviews  :plzstop: People who were older around that time said how they were doing photoshoots in matching outfits and stuff. Her own cousin said how there was Faith and Biggie at the time and how celeb relationships were a THING like wtfff. So it's obvious the whole 'scandal' aspect was orchestrated.
I never knew this  :uhh:
I'm disgusted smh

GLOCK

Quote from: merkaba on June 09, 2016, 05:36:20 PM

Yes fffff

merkaba

Quote from: Zinc on June 09, 2016, 05:25:15 PM
Quote from: merkaba on June 09, 2016, 05:18:08 PM
People said that David Ruffin beat her so bad that she bleed in the brain.

As a child she suffered from severe headaches all those beatings upside her head made it worse.

Tragic.

Her life story really makes me sad.

Zankou.

Quote from: merkaba on June 09, 2016, 05:36:20 PM

lol yeah

merkaba

Quote from: ssw4919 on June 09, 2016, 05:34:40 PM
If she were alive when the R Kelly sex tapes leaked, she would have never heard the end of it. 

d

If she were alive, there wouldn't have been a sextape leak. Her uncle Barry is the one who sent it the Chicago newspaper.

Why are you turning this into a 'Bert and Liyah thread :everythingok:

ssw4919

I agree.  Though he deserves the blame as the predator.  She met him years before her debut was out.  He was grooming her when she was still a child.  Ugh.

I never understood why they "married."  It was a huge risk.  My theory for which I have no receipts is that she told him she has to be married in order to have sex (and he risked everything just to get in her pants), or she was pregnant and it was like a precaution in case it came out.  I lean towards the former because I'm sure her family would have just had her abort if a baby existed.  No one would have known.

But a marriage leaves a paper trail.  Which Vibe discovered.

ssw4919

Speaking of Vibe, they had a big part in Tupac's rape case scandal.

ssw4919

They were molesters.