Random thoughts ...

Started by b7, December 26, 2017, 09:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlowerBomb

Had a long conversion with a Health Advisor who has worked in the NHS for almost 30 years, she's very experienced and passionate about her work, the things she was telling me about racial inequality was really scary., ESPECIALLY in sexual and mental health. There's been a long history of disdain for black clients accessing their services in some hospitals around London, they see accessing and benefiting from these services as a "white right"only... even if you are Black British there's resistance.

Instead of engaging with them with counselling and more extensive methods, they go the cheaper route by throwing anti-depressants at us and sectioning us in large numbers.

She described so many pressures coming at you from majority white colleagues in white departments who trivialize what it's like to be Black and have mental health issue's or access sexual health services.

So many black healthcare professionals that have been met with underhanded racism and hit with random performance targets to try and force them out if they begin to become vocal about what they see

There was a recent campaign over focusing solely on Black gay/lesbian/bi/trans people because everything here has a white face and our demographic is most at need but under presented.

They started the service by adverting their posters and leaflets at many of the clinics in London and a lot of the managers response would be "well we can't have these posters up!" "They can't be BLACK & GAY!" "It's either one or the other! "Can't have TWO negatives up!" "What would our white clients think?!" :dead:

I was shook when she told me that

You walk in a center you see a white receptionist, see a white nurse or doctor or counselor and NONE of them can relate, MOST of them don't live in London, so they can't relate to inner city culture or youth culture, nevermind black culture.
Racial issue's or problems are brushed off as "personality clashes or misunderstandings" and they wonder why it's hard to engage with Black period in a health or outreach setting.

I don't think I can least in this field more another 5 years and that's sad because there are BARELY any black faces in health in area's where it matters most.

Admin

Ok, so at the moment I'm working at a warehouse to save some money for my next world travels next year (which I'm extremely excited for). The payment could be better, but I'm really happy since it's quite an easy job and I'm not gonna work there forever. I have a graphic design degree and did an apprentice at an architect's office and worked there for a total of 5 years, but I was never happy in those fields.
I really did a one eighty when I applied for this new position. People at the agency were like "I think we mixed up your application" but I had to confirm that I was for real. :dead:
I think it's never too late to change direction.

MelMel

Quote from: squid on August 18, 2018, 11:28:57 AM
Ok, so at the moment I'm working at a warehouse to save some money for my next world travels next year (which I'm extremely excited for). The payment could be better, but I'm really happy since it's quite an easy job and I'm not gonna work there forever. I have a graphic design degree and did an apprentice at an architect's office and worked there for a total of 5 years, but I was never happy in those fields.
I really did a one eighty when I applied for this new position. People at the agency were like "I think we mixed up your application" but I had to confirm that I was for real. :dead:
I think it's never too late to change direction.
alright now bby! alright  :ohwow:

MelMel

Quote from: red skin on August 18, 2018, 09:29:34 PM
Go squiddy. :wub:

Cutie pie self.

MelMel....you see how the temperature is DROPPING up here ? :omf:
ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!! about damn time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but I don'twant it to go completely away. I get life when I see a muscled out man in a muscle tee and flip-flops  :ohwow: :ohwow: :ohwow:

MelMel

MelMel

MelMel

Shakira did what she had to DO on Good Stuff

Kurama

I really wish we celebrated and accepted folks who are introvert more often. Im starting to recognize that even in my field there still is a push for people to be extrovert "go-getters" who are tackling the issues of society with a smile. A push for always being in the spotlight and giving your thoughts, when I really don't care to most times.

That shit just isn't realistic but I know I have to fake it if I want to succeed in this next chapter of life.

Admin

Quote from: Kurama on August 20, 2018, 03:37:25 PM
I really wish we celebrated and accepted folks who are introvert more often. Im starting to recognize that even in my field there still is a push for people to be extrovert "go-getters" who are tackling the issues of society with a smile. A push for always being in the spotlight and giving your thoughts, when I really don't care to most times.

That shit just isn't realistic but I know I have to fake it if I want to succeed in this next chapter of life.
Ugh so true!
What is your next chapter that requires you to be this way, if I might ask?

Kurama

Quote from: squid on August 20, 2018, 04:26:03 PM

Ugh so true!

I start my PhD program next spring. I got a fellowship that will have me teaching graduate students and presenting at a shitload of conferences/seminars. I think I told you all I have anxiety about that type of stuff but I think that's intensified because introvert traits aren't really praised in higher ed. 

Admin

Quote from: Kurama on August 20, 2018, 04:38:44 PM

Ugh so true!

I start my PhD program next spring. I got a fellowship that will have me teaching graduate students and presenting at a shitload of conferences/seminars. I think I told you all I have anxiety about that type of stuff but I think that's intensified because introvert traits aren't really praised in higher ed.
Aw, wishing you all the best for that. Presenting and teaching is frightening as hell. My brother has to present software systems/changes and shit at his job and he's FAR from an extrovert. But he told me he got used to it, and it turned from being something very nerve-wracking to somewhat of a chore. But I know hearing that wouldn't help me if I were in a position similar to yours.
Introversion isn't socially fully acknowledged yet, especially in the workplace. An introverted individual can have a more mindful and rational approach compared to an extrovert whose focus it is to "just get it out there". But yeah, I totally agree that introverts need to be accepted/incorporated rather than cured.

Kurama

Quote from: squid on August 20, 2018, 05:25:33 PM

Ugh so true!

Aw, wishing you all the best for that. Presenting and teaching is frightening as hell. My brother has to present software systems/changes and shit at his job and he's FAR from an extrovert. But he told me he got used to it, and it turned from being something very nerve-wracking to somewhat of a chore. But I know hearing that wouldn't help me if I were in a position similar to yours.
Introversion isn't socially fully acknowledged yet, especially in the workplace. An introverted individual can have a more mindful and rational approach compared to an extrovert whose focus it is to "just get it out there". But yeah, I totally agree that introverts need to be accepted/incorporated rather than cured.

Yeah it definitely does get more manageable with time and experience. Been doing similar work for 2 years now but im still not where I want to be I guess. Thank you Squid I appreciate it :wub:

Admin

Quote from: Kurama on August 20, 2018, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: squid on August 20, 2018, 05:25:33 PM

Ugh so true!

Yeah it definitely does get more manageable with time and experience. Been doing similar work for 2 years now but im still not where I want to be I guess. Thank you Squid I appreciate it :wub:
:traciandchelle: