Brandy Reveals Her Holiday Traditions and if She’s Writing a Memoir (Exclusive)

Started by Seven, November 26, 2023, 12:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven

https://themessenger.com/entertainment/brandy-holiday-traditions-memoir-christmas-album

QuoteBrandy Reveals Her Holiday Traditions and if She's Writing a Memoir (Exclusive)
R&B superstar Brandy's new (and first) Christmas album features covers, original songs and a track featuring her daughter Sy'Rai

Nearly 30 years into her career, Brandy's first holiday record — the 12-track Christmas with Brandy — boasts covers of holiday classics, multiple original songs and even a track featuring her daughter Sy'Rai.

"They felt like the right fit for me just vocally," the R&B superstar tells The Messenger about the chosen songs. "I just love the writers and the producers that I was able to work with this time around and I just love the vibe. The vibe just feels like R&B even though it's Christmas and it's joyful and cheerful."

The star of the brand-new Netflix holiday film Best. Christmas. Ever!, Brandy says she loves gathering with her family during the holiday season.

"We open up gifts together," says Brandy, referring to her daughter. "We do Christmas at my house every year. We cook. She has her own things that she cooks now that I love, which is the mac and cheese. I still get the fried chicken. My mom does a lot. She only cooks twice a year so we look forward to her cooking every year. We just get together as a family and just celebrate memories and share memories and just have that quality time that we all look for in the holiday season."

The actor, Grammy-Award-winning singer and Broadway star has had an illustrious career over the past few decades and tells The Messenger that she's considering writing a memoir chronicling her life.

"I have had thoughts about doing my own story right now," she says. "I mean, when you've gone through so much and you feel that moments of your life can inspire other people, you get to thinking like that."

Read on to hear how Brandy winds down and gets inspired in The Messenger's ongoing interview series, My Ideal Weekend, where we catch up with stars about the thoughts, memories, interests and activities that help fuel (and refuel) their lives and work.

Her ideal weekend getaway spot during the holiday season

I like Malibu and it's really close to my house. I like the beach and, you know, the sun and I just think it's very beautiful there. It's fun to play tennis there. And pickleball. I'm a huge fan of pickleball.

When was she last able to go?

I went to the Nobu restaurant with a friend of mine.

How she likes to unwind

I'm just all about family and food and relaxation during the holidays. That's just how I just wind down with people that I love — and just sharing in memories and times that we spent together over the years. I just think that that's the best time. That's when my entire family gets together. I just love the holidays.

Pajamas, robe, or Christmas sweater?

I'm a pajamas person. Just cute pattern. And me and my daughter can match.

When did she know she wanted her daughter on her Christmas album?

I did as soon as I heard it because she's the greatest gift God has ever given me. And the song is just perfect for a duo with the both of us and I just love the way we sound on it and I love the way our voices sound together. And it's a very cheerful, joyful song. I really like it.

Why did she do a Christmas album this year?

Well, the fans have been asking for a Christmas album for a while. I was still in the spirit of music after B7 [her 7th album, which was released in 2020]. It's been three years and I just thought that it was the perfect time to put some holiday music together and it was just a great experience. My favorite Christmas album is the Mariah Carey one every year. That's my favorite. Every year it just works.

Purple Moon

Must be a purple moon, feel like one of those nights...

Demetri Lipa 🤴🏾

8 Days of Christmas by DC3 & Christmas With Brandy are my mine.
French Exit ♻️

It's not a broken heart if I don't break it
"Goodbye" doesn't hurt if I don't say it
And I really hope you'll understand it
Only way to go is a French exit

People Tune In To see Stars.I'm a Star.I steal the Show- Demetrius