Previous topic - Next topic

b7

Quote from: XXX. on September 19, 2017, 02:09:44 PM
Quote from: AYR on September 19, 2017, 01:50:51 PM
It's not even just stans
Like everytime Billboard or Rolling Stone etc in the media does like
top R&B artist of the 90s or whatever, Aaliyah is always top 10
while Brandy is like in the 20s somewhere
and why does she have a biopic before Brandy, Mary, Usher, DC etc?
she was literally out between 93-01 that's 8 years.
I'm seriously not trying to hate, or downplay her greatness and legacy
but how can no one see how excessive her praise is?

But doesn't that speak more to Aaliyah's musical influence and impact?  You just got done saying in a previous post that other artists don't get this much fanfare posthumous, but apparently, she did something during her time living that still has her presence felt today.

Ray, she died at 22.  She was young and beautiful.  That plays a huge part in the strength of her memory.  We never got to see her age, make too many mistakes, or live in a social media world that would have humanized her.  Aaliyah died in an era where mystique existed, and stars feeling like Gods was still a thing.  We didn't go to TMZ or TheShadeRoom to get the news of her death.  We heard it on the radio or by word of mouth.  It was just a different time.  So, that's still the realm she resides in whether you like it or not. 

I think what you're in denial about is her impact on the culture.  Whether it's a vocal, production, or outfit, we still reference Aaliyah when we see and hear it in other artists.  Racking your brain over sales, stats & years in is apparently irrelevant, because there's no way you can prove she still wouldn't place high on these lists had she not died.

You can't debate her impact, because Aaliyah will win every time.
omffff
:stressed:

RAY7

Quote from: XXX. on September 19, 2017, 02:39:07 PM
Quote from: AYR on September 19, 2017, 02:30:49 PM
Quote from: XXX. on September 19, 2017, 02:27:55 PM
Quote from: AYR on September 19, 2017, 02:21:39 PM
It's not even just stans

But doesn't that speak more to Aaliyah's musical influence and impact?  You just got done saying in a previous post that other artists don't get this much fanfare posthumous, but apparently, she did something during her time living that still has her presence felt today.

Ray, she died at 22.  She was young and beautiful.  That plays a huge part in the strength of her memory.  We never got to see her age, make too many mistakes, or live in a social media world that would have humanized her.  Aaliyah died in an era where mystique existed, and stars feeling like Gods was still a thing.  We didn't go to TMZ or TheShadeRoom to get the news of her death.  We heard it on the radio or by word of mouth.  It was just a different time.  So, that's still the realm she resides in whether you like it or not. 

I think what you're in denial about is her impact on the culture.  Whether it's a vocal, production, or outfit, we still reference Aaliyah when we see and hear it in other artists.  Racking your brain over sales, stats & years in is apparently irrelevant, because there's no way you can prove she still wouldn't place high on these lists had she not died.

I never debated her impact though that's the thing
but then again I just wonder as we all do and no one has the answer
would ppl still be referencing her if she were alive to the level that they are?
It's just all kind of crazy to me, seems like the shock of what happened to her
caused her to be way more highly regarded, impactful etc
than her work itself

But are you not questioning her impact when asking why she's placed higher on lists than other artists or why she has a film and they don't?
Im moreso questioning why she has the impact for that stuff
not if she actually has it because that's quite obvious

I feel like you're not giving enough credit to her being the vessel for new sounds and production in R&B that Tim and Missy helped her create.  She also does not have that much music, so her catalog feels tighter and more classic.  There's no real flops or missteps, and it adds weight to her as an artist.  You can't really be mad at that, because it means while she was living, she was getting it right.

Records like "One In A Million" & "Are You That Somebody" were WTF! moments when they dropped.  Give her that!  She may have been lowkey, but she helped to shift the genre forward.  And that's why she gets so much critical acclaim.
I mean, she was A vessel, not even the only one
and not even a writer/vocal arranger or anything
Do we give the same recognition to Ginuwine for Pony, So Anxious etc?

ReVon

:singsKellyRowland:

:Her life was stole, now we'll never know"
:stressed:

XXX.

Quote from: AYR on September 19, 2017, 02:56:15 PM
It's not even just stans

would ppl still be referencing her if she were alive to the level that they are?
than her work itself

But are you not questioning her impact when asking why she's placed higher on lists than other artists or why she has a film and they don't?

I feel like you're not giving enough credit to her being the vessel for new sounds and production in R&B that Tim and Missy helped her create.  She also does not have that much music, so her catalog feels tighter and more classic.  There's no real flops or missteps, and it adds weight to her as an artist.  You can't really be mad at that, because it means while she was living, she was getting it right.

Records like "One In A Million" & "Are You That Somebody" were WTF! moments when they dropped.  Give her that!  She may have been lowkey, but she helped to shift the genre forward.  And that's why she gets so much critical acclaim.

Here's "Pony" on 2 lists I just found with a simple Google search.

http://www.complex.com/music/best-90s-r-b-songs/ginuwine-pony
http://www.vh1.com/news/1720/40-greatest-rb-songs-of-the-90s/

So, yes.  Ginuwine gets his credit.

Again, you're grasping for straws to discredit Aaliyah without providing any real weight for your claims.

But I'm over the discussion now.

RAY7

Quote from: XXX. on September 19, 2017, 03:01:52 PM
It's not even just stans

than her work itself

Here's "Pony" on 2 lists I just found with a simple Google search.

http://www.complex.com/music/best-90s-r-b-songs/ginuwine-pony
http://www.vh1.com/news/1720/40-greatest-rb-songs-of-the-90s/

So, yes.  Ginuwine gets his credit.

Again, you're grasping for straws to discredit Aaliyah without providing any real weight for your claims.

But I'm over the discussion now.

Im glad you're over it
that was cool or whatever but clearly he doesn't get as much as she does
it would make sense if they were recognized on a similar level

Onika

September 19, 2017, 03:08:21 PM #155 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:14:35 PM by OnikaChrist
Guys, just let her rest in peace.

I hate talking about Aaliyah because it always make me sad to think she actually died in a plane crash. Such talent being taken out at such a young age.  :stressed:
Nicki & Cardi searching for Remy's top 10 hit:

Aalonso.

September 19, 2017, 03:09:44 PM #156 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:10:11 PM by L0NZ.
It's not even just stans

than her work itself

Tim and Missy themselves give Aaliyah the praise for taking a chance on them. Not anyone else. Do they do that because she died too?

b7

Well Aaliyah's influence goes beyond music, so no it wouldn't be the same

Ray was obliterated in here

Young

She had done so much so quick

A 22 year old LEGEND and icon in music

It's absolutely insane

Aalonso.

Quote from: 1RIG on September 19, 2017, 03:09:45 PM
Well Aaliyah's influence goes beyond music, so no it wouldn't be the same

Ray was obliterated in here

damn yea

RAY7

Quote from: L0NZ. on September 19, 2017, 03:09:44 PM
It's not even just stans

than her work itself

Tim and Missy themselves give Aaliyah the praise for taking a chance on them. Not anyone else. Do they do that because she died too?
theyre biased and in love with her
that doesn't count, but clearly they could've picked any cute little girl to work with

Aalonso.

Onika

Quote from: Young on September 19, 2017, 03:09:59 PM

She had done so much so quick

A 22 year old LEGEND and icon in music

It's absolutely insane

!!!!

Most artists nowadays don't pop off until they reach early 20's. It's amazing to see how much she accomplished in such a short period of time.  :plzstop:
Nicki & Cardi searching for Remy's top 10 hit:

Young

And now that Mac Line mess

She's STILL booking

CHOKE

Calling her a legend at 22 is another example of doing too much.

What did she do when she was ALIVE that made her a legend?