Ack! Would this have been the trinity ?

Started by Young, September 18, 2017, 10:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlowerBomb

Quote from: AYR on September 19, 2017, 01:01:25 PM
Quote from: Margiela. on September 19, 2017, 12:56:53 PM
No shade but I see Aaliyah in the same boat as Monica and Brandy. Let's not act like that last album was about to flop for points until that tragedy. I love her though. She definitely would have benefited being out today.

God rest her soul.
I've just never seen an artist celebrated so much more  after they died than before
are you serious  :plzstop:

BAPHOMET.

Quote from: Nine on September 19, 2017, 01:15:56 PM
Quote from: Baph al Mana. on September 19, 2017, 01:14:12 PM
Not y'all in here really giving this thought. Who knows. What is a fact is that it's only Bey and Rihanna right now.

:calmdownsis:
!!!

Trinity!

Get out of the 90s luvs

Okay !  :dead:

XXX.

No shade but I see Aaliyah in the same boat as Monica and Brandy. Let's not act like that last album was about to flop for points until that tragedy. I love her though. She definitely would have benefited being out today.

God rest her soul.
yea. I mean as dope as the music was on the Aaliyah album, most of it
really doesn't sound like chart topping popular stuff
probably would've scanned like Platinum like Full Moon and After the Storm
I've just never seen an artist celebrated so much more  after they died than before

I see this on both sides.

The album was falling fairly quickly prior to her death, but it also only ended up selling around 2 million.  And that wasn't THAT much for 2001.  So, the whole, "Everything became so overrated when she died!" isn't that strong of an argument when specifically talking about this album, because it's not like the album went on to sell 10 million or something.  She only stayed in the top 10 3 more weeks after her death.  Granted, hovering in the 20's for weeks was probably an easy 50k/weekly, because sales were so good back then.  And I won't say there wasn't an obvious sales increase post-death, but I think people tend to lay that on thick.

Aaliyah (Album) Chart Run:

2-5-17-25-27-19-1-3-10-21-22-23-22-20-23-29-37-51-51-54-58-59

One thing is for sure, the album is amazing. 

And I don't think an album's performance is indicative of what a career would have been.  People tend to use this album's Billboard performance as leverage over her career.  It's not like Aaliyah was ever pulling Alicia Keys numbers, and she was still winning VMAs over the white girls AND starring in films.

I can't say for sure where her career would have gone (who can?), but I don't think the last album really points to anything other than she was ahead of the curve musically.

RAY7

Quote from: Kaeli. on September 19, 2017, 01:06:42 PM

God rest her soul.
happens with literally every dead artist tho
no it doesn't usually its like Whitney/ Michael where they were already huge in life or like Natalie Cole/Donna Summer  where some ppl are like sad for a week
with Aaliyah it's like history has been completely changed
Aaliyah was the biggest female R&B artist in the 90s, she could stop Bey, Ashanti, Ciara etc
She was this huge movie star slated to star in every movie
When I was young and she was alive she was just kinda "there"
not that huge but not a flop
Age Ain't... was like Gold and OIAM was 2x Platinum
The way ppl act like she RULED the industry and would still be going is just weird to me

Aalumeci.

Quote from: XXX. on September 19, 2017, 01:27:12 PM

God rest her soul.
yea. I mean as dope as the music was on the Aaliyah album, most of it
really doesn't sound like chart topping popular stuff
probably would've scanned like Platinum like Full Moon and After the Storm

I see this on both sides.

The album was falling fairly quickly prior to her death, but it also only ended up selling around 2 million.  And that wasn't THAT much for 2001.  So, the whole, "Everything became so overrated when she died!" isn't that strong of an argument when specifically talking about this album, because it's not like the album went on to sell 10 million or something.  She only stayed in the top 10 3 more weeks after her death.  Granted, hovering in the 20's for weeks was probably an easy 50k/weekly, because sales were so good back then.  And I won't say there wasn't an obvious sales increase post-death, but I think people tend to lay that on thick.

Aaliyah (Album) Chart Run:

2-5-17-25-27-19-1-3-10-21-22-23-22-20-23-29-37-51-51-54-58-59

One thing is for sure, the album is amazing. 

And I don't think an album's performance is indicative of what a career would have been.  People tend to use this album's Billboard performance as leverage over her career.  It's not like Aaliyah was ever pulling Alicia Keys numbers, and she was still winning VMAs over the white girls AND starring in films.

I can't say for sure where her career would have gone (who can?), but I don't think the last album really points to anything other than she was ahead of the curve musically.

wow this thoughtful opinion.

Aalumeci.

Why are you taking that to heart and not with a grain of salt Ray. Every artist has delusional fans.

FlowerBomb

Quote from: AYR on September 19, 2017, 01:38:17 PM

God rest her soul.
no it doesn't usually its like Whitney/ Michael where they were already huge in life or like Natalie Cole/Donna Summer  where some ppl are like sad for a week
Aaliyah was the biggest female R&B artist in the 90s, she could stop Bey, Ashanti, Ciara etc
The way ppl act like she RULED the industry and would still be going is just weird to me
this exaggeration

fedswatchin

Aalumeci.

RAY7

It's not even just stans
Like everytime Billboard or Rolling Stone etc in the media does like
top R&B artist of the 90s or whatever, Aaliyah is always top 10
while Brandy is like in the 20s somewhere
and why does she have a biopic before Brandy, Mary, Usher, DC etc?
she was literally out between 93-01 that's 8 years.
I'm seriously not trying to hate, or downplay her greatness and legacy
but how can no one see how excessive her praise is?

BAPHOMET.

Young

Quote from: AYR on September 19, 2017, 01:38:17 PM

God rest her soul.

She was evolving Ray
And was growing and becoming a force in more than just music

She really was starting her reign

That's like someone saying If Rih left us at the start of her 3rd album she'd not have grown and become who she is today

I think truly Liy was headed on that path

fedswatchin

Idk if you can put a limit on how much praise she gets, but I agree that she wasn't the hugest star. Still, her impact is undeniable