Exclusive: Brandy Talks Mariah Colab, Queens, New Music, Full Moon (vid inside)

Started by Seven, January 06, 2022, 01:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sovereign.

Brandy should simply explore the music that feels right to her and enjoy what she's creating. Simple as that.

RenRen986

Quote from: Demetri Merrick Rocka 🤴🏾 on January 09, 2022, 09:34:33 PM
I really feel bad for brandy at times. It's  not that she doesn't believe in her music;  she wants to please all of us. Brandy fanbase is very diverse and people like her for many different reasons.  Most of the time her fans come off ungrateful and make her feel like what she put out wasn't enough! Prime example is her being on live just months after dropping B7 and people were asking for more music LMAO. The way she and guy she was on Live with handle it spoke volumes to me.

This is why I say I don't think she knows her audience. "Love Again" was a WIN for her. People were reminded of the Brandy they fell in love with. But she wouldn't have done that song on her own. Then the next song we get is "Baby Mama"? Who is the audience for that? No one 20+ is singing anything positive about being a baby momma. I think her fan base is so eclectic, we all love her and fell in love with her for different reasons. I think mentally that boxes her in when creating because she's trying to find what's right for her and the people who understand why she's the vocal bible.

Just look at Verzuz. Nearly all of the songs she played were R&B. It's just strange to see her desire to shy away from that. At the very least if you're trying new genres work with the people who are successful in that genre.

FRANCE

The best news about her wanting to record different genres and sounds of music is that there will be less Camper. He can stay off the next album tbqfh. 

Bigmacthawoppa

Quote from: FRANCE on January 09, 2022, 11:27:06 PM
The best news about her wanting to record different genres and sounds of music is that there will be less Camper. He can stay off the next album tbqfh.

!!!!

He's a really mediocre producer.

b7

Quote from: RAY7 on January 09, 2022, 11:34:17 AM
Funny though because during 2/11 era she kept saying that she was finally being true to her R&B roots and that's what she should stay doing. This talk about her branching out is actually new for her
b7 is not just R&B though (to me) and she said this during the entire era and promo of the album in 2020 in all those zoom interviews

I watched every interview. She's always dabbled in every genre and expression and it's not like she's shitting on R&B based on what she said. I'm not really understanding some of the comments in here but everyone's entitled to their opinion and interpretations.  She doesn't really say much at all so i can see why people take what she says and run with it in general (not directed at you or anyone in here).

I'm actually glad she isn't pandering like she used to as if she owes something to the R&B genre at this point.  She once said that Usher earned the right to explore other genres back in 2011 or so as if she hadn't and that's just BS. She can do whatever she wants musically and im happy to see her speaking to that. She's not a Keke Wyatt, Ledisi or Angie Stone kinda girl. Brandy been doing a myriad of things with a million different vocal approaches in that studio.

These interviews ain't saying anything new to me other than maybe her being more expressive about it

b7

Quote from: Sovereign. on January 09, 2022, 10:26:25 PM
Brandy should simply explore the music that feels right to her and enjoy what she's creating. Simple as that.
like she did on b7.  I agree

*shrug*

b7

Quote from: Harlem on January 09, 2022, 11:37:59 AM
I would love for Bran stop explaining her music and just do it and let us judge lol
!!!!  I think she doesn't explain it much or at all as much as she should, actually. She did way more talking and pandering during the TwoEleven era the girls be going up for IMO

Brandy's Unconditional Ocean

Quote from: Somebody's RIG on January 10, 2022, 02:30:53 AM
Quote from: Harlem on January 09, 2022, 11:37:59 AM
I would love for Bran stop explaining her music and just do it and let us judge lol
!!!!  I think she doesn't explain it much or at all as much as she should, actually. She did way more talking and pandering during the TwoEleven era the girls be going up for IMO
TwoEleven was definitely uninspired

b7

Mariah and Brandy are literally the masters of studio recording. We always talk about live vocal this and that, but, mastering what they've mastered ain't easy either. A singers singer, they are. 

RenRen986

Quote from: RIG 7 on January 10, 2022, 02:28:17 AM
Funny though because during 2/11 era she kept saying that she was finally being true to her R&B roots and that's what she should stay doing. This talk about her branching out is actually new for her
b7 is not just R&B though (to me) and she said this during the entire era and promo of the album in 2020 in all those zoom interviews

I watched every interview. She's always dabbled in every genre and expression and it's not like she's shitting on R&B based on what she said. I'm not really understanding some of the comments in here but everyone's entitled to their opinion and interpretations.  She doesn't really say much at all so i can see why people take what she says and run with it in general (not directed at you or anyone in here).

I'm actually glad she isn't pandering like she used to as if she owes something to the R&B genre at this point.  She once said that Usher earned the right to explore other genres back in 2011 or so as if she hadn't and that's just BS. She can do whatever she wants musically and im happy to see her speaking to that. She's not a Keke Wyatt, Ledisi or Angie Stone kinda girl. Brandy been doing a myriad of things with a million different vocal approaches in that studio.

These interviews ain't saying anything new to me other than maybe her being more expressive about it

Ledisi and Angie Stone are neo-soul not R&B. There's a difference.  It's her need to consistently say she's more than R&B. Pop stars don't say they're more than Pop stars. It's weird. Which goes to my point, Jazmine, Jhene, summer walker, HER, etc. These are some of the leading R&B girls and they're out here building fan bases and getting radio play. I agree Brandy's voice and technique is beyond but please let's not act like Brandy put ANY other genre on her VERZUZ playlist. Because whoever helped her knew what people wanted to hear. Brandy can sing anything she wants. But it's all about execution.

b7

Quote from: RenRen986 on January 10, 2022, 03:11:15 AM
Quote from: RIG 7 on January 10, 2022, 02:28:17 AM

Ledisi and Angie Stone are neo-soul not R&B. There's a difference.  It's her need to consistently say she's more than R&B. Pop stars don't say they're more than Pop stars. It's weird. Which goes to my point, Jazmine, Jhene, summer walker, HER, etc. These are some of the leading R&B girls and they're out here building fan bases and getting radio play. I agree Brandy's voice and technique is beyond but please let's not act like Brandy put ANY other genre on her VERZUZ playlist. Because whoever helped her knew what people wanted to hear. Brandy can sing anything she wants. But it's all about execution.
You make great points, i just think you're taking her comments a bit too seriously, that's all.  She made this comment for like 30 seconds and moved on. No need to compare her to the new girls although what they're doing in R&B is admirable.  It's not as if Brandy is going to abandon her signature  :dead:  she may not ever sale or stream the way they do again and that's fine. She's also done things they can only dream of doing in this day and age and that's ok too.  Her biggest hits being R&B and played during a verzuz actually speaks to what she's saying lol she doesn't have to focus on that anymore. Not in that way.