Snippet of Sy'Rai's Vibe Interview - She wants to work with Timbaland

Started by Summertime, November 18, 2022, 04:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Summertime

More Than A Legacy: Sy'Rai Smith Is Paving Her Own Lane

Is there anybody that you would love to work with or we can expect to see you working with?

I would love to work with my favorite, Snoh [Aalegra]. We've talked of me working with James Fauntleroy, which is my favorite songwriter ever. I've already got to work with [Dahryl] Camper [and] Cadence. Ari Lennox and I kind of worked together. I just worked with Cardiak, who is a crazy producer. I'm just really happy that they see something in me. Timbaland ... I would even work with his son. I've already worked with Eric Bellinger. Hitmaka.

What would you say is the biggest misconception that celebrity children get?

[That] Life is easy. Money doesn't solve a lot of internal problems or mental problems. We are blessed, but we can't do "normal" things. A lot of people don't understand the value of being normal. It's like when you grew up, your mom was in the kitchen cooking you spaghetti and turkey sandwiches and sending you off to school. My mom was halfway across the country filming a show so that she could provide for me. It's difficult for me to understand when people say, "Oh, they have it easy, it's cool, they have money and have famous parents." But our parents kind of sacrifice a lot to be able to do what they do, and sometimes, we're a part of that sacrifice, too.

We don't see our parents all the time. Sometimes we have to miss months of school or be homeschooled. I've been attacked in public. I've been bombarded with people. Some things I can't just go out and do. Eyes are always on me, so I always have to watch my back. I've always been a good girl, but it can be perceived that she's [Brandy] a bad parent if I were to be caught doing something crazy. It's like you always have to watch what you do.

Are you defining your sound to be different from hers to lessen the comparisons
?

Yeah. But it's hard to steer away from how I sing because it's just what I love to do. R&B is everything to me. That's all I listen to, but then again, I also grew up on the side where pop was really popular. I have tapped into other genres. I've done some pop, I've done some afro[beats] just to see where I can go. But I always put an R&B spin on everything.

I don't want to place myself in a box. I do want to get into house [music]. I want to get into EDM. I want to get into alternative. One of the songs me and mom did was a pop song — an R&B song, too. I think you can do whatever genre if you have a voice.

What's one gem you were taught that sticks with you?

Just to really be independent and know your value in this world and not everybody deserves to be in your life. Be very selective, humble, and kind because it's really important. She's really taught me to be kind, just by setting the example. She's the nicest human being, and she's just very angelic. I think me seeing her like that all my life — I want to be kind to people.

https://www.vibe.com/features/editorial/syrai-smith-lineage-interview-1234703741/