Afro bby help me

Started by Young, October 21, 2015, 10:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Young

Quote from: Herbie on October 21, 2015, 11:52:34 PM
these are the products I use.
I follow what's called the "Curly Girl Method" now. Just started and I've noticed a huge difference. which is amazing because its quite simple. Don't know why I didn't do this before. I think a lot of times we like to think we know what's best for our hair. oh! special! not like everyone else! my own routine! :cheerup: when there are simple steps that work for pretty much anyone with that hair type:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/no-poo/the-curly-girl-method-for-coily-hair/

But I don't follow it exactly the way its presented. Here's my way of doing it.

I start with Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus conditioner
gently glide it thru my hair. this gets my hair ready for detangling (never detangle dry hair. or hair that's not conditioned. it breaks ur hair off)

then, I take my fingers, using them like a comb and gently glide it through my hair to get rid of any tangles.
from root to tip. (and you'll see me saying "root to tip" A LOT. because everything should be done that way.)

then once I'm out the shower, I put in my leave DevaCurl B'Leave In .. leave in conditioner
My hair is quite fine and not coarse so it cannot handle thick butters or cremes too well. using a light, water based leave in conditioner is the best way to go for me.
Again, ROOT TO TIP, take a nice amount and I rake through my hair to ensure that it's distributed evenly.

now, I take a few pinches of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and apply it throughout my hair, raking it through.
this is called SEALING the hair. using oil AFTER your leave in conditioner seals in that fabulous moisture.
curls need all the moisture they can get.

And I only use one styler now. Which is gel. But I use VERY LITTLE.

I take a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of gel
again VERY SMALL AMOUNT. quarter size. and I have a LOT of hair but again, VERY SMALL AMOUNT
(my hair is easily weighed down, and gel will also HARDEN your hair if you apply too much. walking around looking like curled stones are on top of ur head. :dead: also known as "crunchy curls" ...which again, ain't fucking cute)

and I gently rake the small amount of gel into my head.
Sometimes I Honestly don't think I need the gel once I'm done sealing, but I just feel weird not applying at least ONE styling product. :dead:

Omffffff yesssss

Okay thank you!!! I wanna start rocking more curly styles as it grows so I need it to look cute.

Your hair has been looking amazing so I know your technique >>>
:stressed:

Young

Quote from: Herbie on October 22, 2015, 12:40:25 AM
u r so beautiful sis :stressed:

u pull off that bun so effortlessly  :kii: :kii: :plzstop:
:justabit:

ok back to ur hair mess....typing now
ssssss

Thank u love  :wub: :stressed:

iman

Quote from: Young on October 22, 2015, 12:37:49 AM
Okay so all these pics besides the bottom 2 I just took:

The first pic is what my hair strands like.
Then I wet my hair and add in the leave in lotion from Shea.

Then I separate my hair into 4 parts and make sure I lather my hair a bit in the two oils and detangler.

I don't like doing this process everyday so what I do is I twist it and wrap it at that pulled state. Like the photo below. Then I put a Durag on let it set overnight.

Then in the morning I comb it out (see bottom left) and then put up my man bun mess and punch. (Bottom right)

you're so cute  :sobusyjetsetter:

iman

these bantu knots fjjjj wait!

Young

Quote from: iman on October 22, 2015, 12:51:08 AM
these bantu knots fjjjj wait!

SDddddddddfff

:plzstop:

And thank u luv!  :wub:

Herb.

Your hair is beautiful. It looks nice and thick, and healthy.
And soft. :stressed:

Based on those pics, I'd say you have beautiful type 4 hair.

I'm going to be honest with you ... spirals are something that happen soon as I wet my hair.
I just am learning to better capture them and not weigh them down. Which is why you probably notice that my hair now looks lighter and fluffier. My curls are simply driven by moisture. Which is why I put a strong focus on conditioning and moisturizing now. And very very little focus on styling products.  I'm just letting it do it's own thing.

Curl patterns don't come in a bottle. And that's fine. You have so much to work with.
I know how you feel. I may see someone with super super super wavy hair and I'm like OMG its so pretty :stressed:

But many times when we do that we forget how beautiful our own tea is.

I love your buns and the knots. I think you have your own thing going tbh. And it fits you.
I wouldn't dare try to those knots and mess. :dead: not everyone can pull it off :stressed:

Herb.

Wait, I'm looking a bit closer at the pic and I think I see a little curl going on.
I wish you had  a pic with better lighting so I could get IN.

Young

This is so confusing, is there a better one? Mine my doesn't just KEEP spiraling

I wish there  was a way to really tell WHAT you have for a fact? Can u have a mixture?

Young

Quote from: Herbie on October 22, 2015, 12:56:28 AM
Your hair is beautiful. It looks nice and thick, and healthy.
And soft. :stressed:

Based on those pics, I'd say you have beautiful type 4 hair.

I'm going to be honest with you ... spirals are something that happen soon as I wet my hair.
I just am learning to better capture them and not weigh them down. Which is why you probably notice that my hair now looks lighter and fluffier. My curls are simply driven by moisture. Which is why I put a strong focus on conditioning and moisturizing now. And very very little focus on styling products.  I'm just letting it do it's own thing.

Curl patterns don't come in a bottle. And that's fine. You have so much to work with.
I know how you feel. I may see someone with super super super wavy hair and I'm like OMG its so pretty :stressed:

But many times when we do that we forget how beautiful our own tea is.

I love your buns and the knots. I think you have your own thing going tbh. And it fits you.
I wouldn't dare try to those knots and mess. :dead: not everyone can pull it off :stressed:

Sneennddndndndndndndndndndndndd
F
F
C
Dndndnnddndndnfn :plzstop:

I love my lil knots, it helps me tend to my hair more Individually because it's so THICK. But I'd NEVER go in public like that  :kii:

And thank you bby :wub:

I do wanna try your strategy tho for the times when I kinda wanna just wet lather and pump  :supluv:

Young

The oil thing sounds so help, that LOCKING in of the moisture

Herb.

Let me ask you....

Your hair is shorter, but do you feel see any individual curls in your head? Like can you separate curls in your head? when I say individual...

here's a pic when my hair was shorter. earlier this year.
u can see these were kinda my "baby spirals" :stressed: they were just starting to make their way out.
i was able to pull  each of them if i wanted to. they had their own little identities lol if u get what i mean.

Young

Quote from: Herbie on October 22, 2015, 01:02:24 AM
Wait, I'm looking a bit closer at the pic and I think I see a little curl going on.

I'll have to scroll through older photos to see, but I definitely have a curly or maybe wavy hair type...I think, I dunno hell :plzstop:

I'll look through older photos .

Right now its knotted up under this durag :ttlo:

Herb.

Quote from: Young on October 22, 2015, 01:05:39 AM
This is so confusing, is there a better one? Mine my doesn't just KEEP spiraling

I wish there  was a way to really tell WHAT you have for a fact? Can u have a mixture?

You definitely can have a mixture of patterns.
It's pretty common from what I've heard.

but the mixture doesn't come on the strands themselves.
moreso on how the strands come together on different sections of people's head.

Herb.

Quote from: Young on October 22, 2015, 01:17:10 AM

I'll have to scroll through older photos to see, but I definitely have a curly or maybe wavy hair type...I think, I dunno hell :plzstop:

ohigufy8tduu7octvybpuvfycdtp5sxrct
ubvyfc8ptd5xrz  :omgwatshappening:

Young

Quote from: Herbie on October 22, 2015, 01:27:07 AM
Quote from: Young on October 22, 2015, 01:17:10 AM

ohigufy8tduu7octvybpuvfycdtp5sxrct
ubvyfc8ptd5xrz  :omgwatshappening:

Sddddddddddd

So this is outside headed to the beach. When it was shorter like this  I use to put leave in before I would go out to keep some moisture whole the sun is beaming down.