Should filters be removed from social media?

Started by Herb., October 22, 2015, 10:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herb.

I know this is a long shot.

But hear me out.

Have social platforms altered the perception of ourselves in at least in a small amount? When should the line be drawn when it comes to filtering your appearance? What is said to you when you see people upload pictures which are filter laden? Do you make an assumption about their self esteem when the filtering is consistent?

The most alarming instance of filtering that I've ever seen was the Danity Kane #nofilter promo, which was intended to encourage others to let their true self come through the lens of a camera. But their promotional #nofilter picture was ironically coated in a filter. :hmph: They gladly uploaded pictures of their fans who "dared" to face the world filter-free, but refused to do it themselves. :plzstop: What message does that send?

RekeRig

no. Photoshop is even more of a detriment, in terms of what ur speaking on. And Magazines and all that have been doing it for years. Filters can't save ugly. Although i dont like using that word

charlie.

Instagram is the only social media that has filters? No?
:ohwow:

Herb.

Quote from: RIG on October 22, 2015, 10:44:10 PM
no. Photoshop is even more of a detriment, in terms of what ur speaking on. And Magazines and all that have been doing it for years. Filters can't save ugly. Although i dont like using that word
Good point. Photoshop actually can alter the appearance of someone's facial features, whereas filters simply lend more of a "lighting" in many cases.

BAPHOMET.

b

A filter isnt going to magically make someone look good. Sure people have minor flaws but if you're ugly a color overlay aint about to help. Now that damn Photoshop be working some magic.  :kii:

That's why i only do Facetime/Skype (well before I had a BF).

Cowboy Nine

Cowboy Nine

yeah if IG somehow weeded out the girls and their cinched waists and wobbly booties

The exposures

Lane Bryant Jumpsuit

Lewie D Im Caramel Bitches Ion Wanna hear Im Actin
Different

Plank

i think filters

if u have alike a themes for ur IG
its cute

Young

n

No not IMO. Filters add so much personality and sometimes I like to   Filter my photos based off the way I feeling. Like dark and gloomy, cloudy, bright and colorful etc.

Photoshopping is another thing.

LiiVE

Well filters aren't bad but there are tons of photo editing apps that a lot of these Instagram famous girls get caught using.

iman

photoshop is the issue, not filters IMO. filters don't really change much.

RekeRig

Quote from: Herbie on October 22, 2015, 10:45:45 PM
Quote from: RIG on October 22, 2015, 10:44:10 PM
Good point. Photoshop actually can alter the appearance of someone's facial features, whereas filters simply lend more of a "lighting" in many cases.
!!! I've always felt that way. of course people overdo the filters but you can't
hide too much

RekeRig

Quote from: LiiVE on October 22, 2015, 11:51:56 PM
Well filters aren't bad but there are tons of photo editing apps that a lot of these Instagram famous girls get caught using.
omg not them getting CAUGHT  :kii:

i remember when you'd always catch Dawns obvious mess sdddd