Why do the Jans hate 20 Y.O.?

Started by 𝖘𝖖𝖚𝖎𝖉, April 02, 2020, 09:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowgirl

Quote from: Nine. on April 02, 2020, 09:59:38 AM

This was better than most of the album.
Better than every song on the standard album. If they were gonna go the first single mid-tempo route, this should've been it.

reekz

After Jo, her albums just wasn't good. 

Cowgirl

Janet doesn't make bad albums. Some after Damita might not be classic Janet standards but they're far from bad.

Ulysses

I think it was the beginning of the decline of Janet, musically. Her voice started to sound different and it just didn't FEEL the same. It wasn't an AWFUL album, but it sure wasn't the Janet we know and love...

"Take Care" And "Enjoy"are classics though 

reekz

The music just wasn't good and she was getting older 🤷🏾‍♂️. With 20YO, she tried to fit into the now and her fans didn't like it. So that left the younger crowd and they had Ciara, keyshia, etc. Nobody wanted to hear a "Call On Me" from a mid class lady. It just didn't work. 

Cowgirl

Quote from: Reek on April 02, 2020, 12:30:52 PM
The music just wasn't good and she was getting older 🤷🏾‍♂️. With 20YO, she tried to fit into the now and her fans didn't like it. So that left the younger crowd and they had Ciara, keyshia, etc. Nobody wanted to hear a "Call On Me" from a mid class lady. It just didn't work.
Her problem wasn't her albums tho, it was her singles choices..

Cowgirl

If we're talking about 20, Call On Me wasn't even a good song but it did moderately okay due to her name and it being her first single and it was too late by the time So Ex came along.

wizzy

Call On Me made me lose interest

reekz

Quote from: TinaSnow on April 02, 2020, 01:30:54 PM

What song in that album would have done better to you?

Cowgirl

April 02, 2020, 01:52:41 PM #39 Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:54:13 PM by TinaSnow
Quote from: Reek on April 02, 2020, 01:49:20 PM
Quote from: TinaSnow on April 02, 2020, 01:30:54 PM

What song in that album would have done better to you?
To lead that era: Roll Witchu, This Body, So Excited, Do It 2 Me, Get It Out Me would've done done better as first singles.

Cowgirl

April 02, 2020, 01:53:45 PM #40 Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:56:15 PM by TinaSnow
But like I said, it's not that the albums were bad. It was the singles and/or lack of single-potential..

reekz

April 02, 2020, 02:21:46 PM #41 Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:22:24 PM by Reek
I'll have to listen to that album again. I only listened once since nun of the songs did it for me. Rock Wit U was too Similar to All Nite to me.

Murrah

Enjoy is great, but overall this project was too regional in its sound. Janet is an international music icon and this album gave Cherish.

Nonchalantboi

Just the older Jans couldn't get into it...too greasy for them I guess lol but that album is a fucking gem and sis got into super urban groove def in my top 5 albums from her

🔥🔥🔥

Cowgirl

April 02, 2020, 03:11:30 PM #44 Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:12:10 PM by TinaSnow
Quote from: Murrah on April 02, 2020, 02:35:55 PM
Enjoy is great, but overall this project was too regional in its sound. Janet is an international music icon and this album gave Cherish.
I agree with the regional sound overall. Not bad but she should've focused on more universal sounds and not the US.