Poor Proud Mary

Started by Lazarus, January 16, 2018, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

On paper, Proud Mary looked like any number of somewhat quietly released Screen Gems genre fare movies. Going at least back to 2006, Sony has a long reputation of not screening sure-to-be panned comedies and/or unapologetic grindhouse flicks. Fair or not, releasing Proud Mary sans press screenings and sans even Thursday night previews left Sony open to accusations of burying an action movie that happened to feature Taraji P. Henson in the title role. All due respect, I think the notion of a racial conspiracy was more comforting (especially to fans) than the mere notion that Proud Mary was just a lousy movie.

The film made a meh $9.9 million Fri-Sun/$12m Fri-Mon weekend gross from 2,125 theaters. Yes, the film got lousy reviews (and it?s not very good), but as expected, I would argue that the ?hide the movie? thing was as much about Rotten Tomatoes as critical pans. To wit, it?s a complete mediocrity (it feels heavily cut down and seems to be missing its entire character-building first act), but it has just enough of Henson equalizing to send fans home relatively happy. But it?s also the kind of movie that gets a lot of ?Eh, whatever? reviews that ends up with a painfully low Tomatometer score.

Sony also knew that the most valuable demographics aren?t necessarily the same folk who make up Rotten Tomatoes-certified critics, and they weren?t about to let some critical pans get in the way of seeing Proud Mary?s top-billed star get the chance to kill 50, maybe 60 people. So, sure, Sony could have made it a glitzier affair, but quite frankly the movie didn?t justify it. Henson is fine (and Jahi Di?Allo Winston is quite good as her young charge), but I?m not going to sit here and pretend that it?s the second coming of John Wick or Atomic Blonde.  But Ms. Henson is opening a poorly-reviewed, R-rated action movie with nothing to sell except her name, to a $12m Fri-Mon debut. If that?s not the definition of movie stardom, I?m not sure what is.

Vonc2002

This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

🦚

Like I said the movie will make a cute coin on the back end once they license it. It should?ve never been a theatre release.

I mean it?s far from a Columbiana or Salt.

And the name proud marry is very off putting
Hear 'em swarmin', right? (Zz) 🐝 🐝  is known to bite (Zz, zz)
——————///——————-
https://justiceforbreonna.org/

Buy The Stars✨

Shoulda got  Kerry Washington lolZ

🦚

Quote from: TEXASbama on January 16, 2018, 01:45:23 PM
Shoulda got  Kerry Washington lolZ

When has she ever had an action movie slayage?
Hear 'em swarmin', right? (Zz) 🐝 🐝  is known to bite (Zz, zz)
——————///——————-
https://justiceforbreonna.org/

RAY7

So Taraji saved it from completely flopping
Good for her

Gekkouga

Quote from: AYR on January 16, 2018, 01:48:41 PM
So Taraji saved it from completely flopping
Good for her

n

yummy

QuoteAll due respect, I think the notion of a racial conspiracy was more comforting (especially to fans) than the mere notion that Proud Mary was just a lousy movie.

sounds about right

Kaeli.

I honestly haven?t seen ANY one talking about this movie outside of here

Didn?t know ppl were tryna make it a race thing but that doesn?t surprise me either

Vonc2002

The movie wasn't up to par. PERIOD!
This is my pass to say WHATEVER tf I wanna say about the mess she releases so I don't wanna hear SHIT! Baby mama is a mess of a song btw

GRAND

This type of movie is rare for a minority

You win some you lose some

Sucks though because they're less likely to try again every time this happens

BAPHOMET.

So Kerry Washington doesn't have any major awards huh. Damn that's wild