Here's what fans on UK Mix thought of Brandy's Afrodisiac Album when it released

Started by Brandy's Unconditional Ocean, October 24, 2023, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosone1

Quote from: Red Ruby on October 26, 2023, 08:12:48 AM
Quote from: STUNNA GOD on October 26, 2023, 08:09:25 AM
Quote from: Red Ruby on October 26, 2023, 08:07:50 AM
Quote from: Harlem on October 26, 2023, 07:58:47 AM
Quote from: Red Ruby on October 26, 2023, 07:01:10 AM
Quote from: Harlem on October 25, 2023, 11:27:37 AM
Quote from: DemetriusRocka 🤴🏾 on October 25, 2023, 10:07:24 AMBrandy shouldn't gave up on this album. I would have kept pushing out singles until Atlantic went bankrupt lol.

Lol facts! she should've forced "I Tried" out there to revive the era
Made no sense how that song never became a single.

!!!!

As much as I love WIS2U, I Tried should've just been the 2nd single
WIS2U in hindsight might be the best song on Afro and aged beautifully but it was a terrible single at that time.
!!!!!!! THISSSSSS

WIS2U grew on me in the 2020s. It was terrible and so cheap sounding to me during its actual time. Her worst follow up single.
!!!

When I tell you I LOATHED that song until maybe 2020.

:plzstop:

I'm blown tf away when I listen now

:shook:
It's the opposite for me.I used to love it and those sped up live performances of it.Now I skip it most times.

rosone1

Quote from: DemetriusRocka 🤴🏾 on October 25, 2023, 10:07:24 AMBrandy shouldn't gave up on this album. I would have kept pushing out singles until Atlantic went bankrupt lol.
Oh they wouldn't have went bankrupt.They would have invoiced everything to her.She could filed for bankruptcy and got the debt vacated.That's what Toni did owing Atlantic $16M  :plzstop:

Gilgamesh.

Quote from: GYNandTONIC on October 26, 2023, 08:31:58 AMThe prob with Afro was the image. I hated the lightened hair, she was too thin, the wardrobe didn't match the vibe AT ALL.

There was no vision for Afro outside of the music. That was irritating because it should've been her most artistic visuals to date. Those are songs you really have to sell and they played it safe.

Afro was her first album like that because the debut, NSN, and FM all had very clear branding.

Jon

Quote from: DemetriusRocka 🤴🏾 on October 25, 2023, 11:54:55 PMNah Brandy was sabotaged. This has been confirmed by ZuZu. I don't believe Brandy just gave up on any of her albums. Maybe she could've  fought a little more though.
!! I agree
I hope she promotes the new Xmas one every year  

Cowgirl

Quote from: rosone1 on October 26, 2023, 11:33:53 AM
Quote from: Red Ruby on October 26, 2023, 08:12:48 AM
Quote from: STUNNA GOD on October 26, 2023, 08:09:25 AM
Quote from: Red Ruby on October 26, 2023, 08:07:50 AM
Quote from: Harlem on October 26, 2023, 07:58:47 AM
Quote from: Red Ruby on October 26, 2023, 07:01:10 AM
Quote from: Harlem on October 25, 2023, 11:27:37 AM

Lol facts! she should've forced "I Tried" out there to revive the era
Made no sense how that song never became a single.

!!!!

As much as I love WIS2U, I Tried should've just been the 2nd single
WIS2U in hindsight might be the best song on Afro and aged beautifully but it was a terrible single at that time.
!!!!!!! THISSSSSS

WIS2U grew on me in the 2020s. It was terrible and so cheap sounding to me during its actual time. Her worst follow up single.
!!!

When I tell you I LOATHED that song until maybe 2020.

:plzstop:

I'm blown tf away when I listen now

It's the opposite for me.I used to love it and those sped up live performances of it.Now I skip it most times.

Don't remind  me, those were even worse! Every Afro performance seemed like she was on a time crunch with the speedy versions.

Demetri Lipa 🤴🏾

I agree with a lot opinions in here I don't think anybody is wrong.

As for the singles, Afrodisiac was a radio hit in waiting.  With the right visual and timely performances I think it was the pop hit she needed at that time. But even if not every single doesn't have to be top 5. Being consistent with Quality would've strengthen her audience.

@Summertime  Sonja said it too!

French Exit ♻️

It's not a broken heart if I don't break it
"Goodbye" doesn't hurt if I don't say it
And I really hope you'll understand it
Only way to go is a French exit

People Tune In To see Stars.I'm a Star.I steal the Show- Demetrius

Demetri Lipa 🤴🏾

Quote from: Amazing on October 26, 2023, 05:50:25 AMLabels fuck over rnb artists all the time.

Mary J. Blige's The Breakthrough only got 3 American singles/videod and only 2 international singles.

Growing Pains debuted with 629,000 copies and only got 2 singles/videos...

Supposedly all the label budget was going on Keyshia Cole at the time. She was meant to be the next Mary.
True. I still think something was done right though.  I felt those were a superstar eras. She stayed touring,  winning awards, features with videos, she was Oprah, performing on soap operas, even her songs were used in Ipod commercials that's not sabotaged to me. They just mismanaged the budget or gave Keyshia top priority but Mart still had the bigger success in my eyes.
French Exit ♻️

Summertime

Quote from: DemetriusRocka 🤴🏾 on October 27, 2023, 05:54:38 AMI agree with a lot opinions in here I don't think anybody is wrong.

As for the singles, Afrodisiac was a radio hit in waiting.  With the right visual and timely performances I think it was the pop hit she needed at that time. But even if not every single doesn't have to be top 5. Being consistent with Quality would've strengthen her audience.

I feel like Atlantic executives were sick watching Brandy get a plethora of non-music checks and not being able to get a cut of it.
On top of that it was known that Sonja was getting her paid well, so wasn't letting companies underpay Brandy. 
I remember Sonja tweeted out during the 2016 lawsuit the long list of stuff Breyon Scott wanted from Bran and she was sick about it all especially the retroactive 360 demand.
That countersuit should have let Starz know the corporate side of the music industry been trying to play Bran.
Not just a regular 360, but a 360 that takes her non-music earnings prior to her meeting him, SMH.

The entertainment business is small so the corporate music side for sure knows how much she's making from non-music stuff since a 360 was still getting pushed on her just 7 years ago. 
Many artists have always said there's a such thing called 'industry politics.'

Demetri Lipa 🤴🏾

Quote from: Summertime on October 27, 2023, 07:14:37 AM
Quote from: DemetriusRocka 🤴🏾 on October 27, 2023, 05:54:38 AMI agree with a lot opinions in here I don't think anybody is wrong.

I feel like Atlantic executives were sick watching Brandy get a plethora of non-music checks and not being able to get a cut of it.
On top of that it was known that Sonja was getting her paid well, so wasn't letting companies underpay Brandy. 
I remember Sonja tweeted out during the 2016 lawsuit the long list of stuff Breyon Scott wanted from Bran and she was sick about it all especially the retroactive 360 demand.
That countersuit should have let Starz know the corporate side of the music industry been trying to play Bran.
Not just a regular 360, but a 360 that takes her non-music earnings prior to her meeting him, SMH.

The entertainment business is small so the corporate music side for sure knows how much she's making from non-music stuff since a 360 was still getting pushed on her just 7 years ago. 
!!! I think too political at times. I get it though. Things like this you have to figure out ways to make it work in your favor.

They still could have coast off her success by letting her do soundtracks for those movie's. A Cinderella soundtracks would've been multi-platnium for sure.
French Exit ♻️

Summertime

Quote from: DemetriusRocka 🤴🏾 on October 27, 2023, 07:54:00 AM
Quote from: Summertime on October 27, 2023, 07:14:37 AM

!!! I think too political at times. I get it though. Things like this you have to figure out ways to make it work in your favor.

They still could have coast off her success by letting her do soundtracks for those movie's. A Cinderella soundtracks would've been multi-platnium for sure.

Impossible and the duet with Paolo would have been big hits.
Atlantic executives reasoning for not letting that soundtrack come out because of them marketing her as a R&B singer and feeling the soundtrack being non-R&B vocals from her would counteract their marketing was foolish of them.
It was said that Whitney and Clive were still trying to get them to release it years later.
I wonder if Debra Martin-Chase is having any luck since she said she wanted to get it released.

Issa Rae said the music side of the entertainment business is worse than the acting side.

I always felt that Bran not getting locked into a 360 deal at any point in her career was always something being held against her by music executives.
Especially because it was said back in the day that executives felt if they could get Sonja's eyes off her contracts they could finesse her.
Sonja kind of confirmed this during the lawsuit because she wrote something like he tried to get her out of the picture and how she's back.
Sonja's personality, career background, research on how to redline contracts, so knowing good contractual terms vs. bad contractual terms.