Ghana takes first steps to decolonize

Started by AIDS!, October 29, 2015, 08:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cartierline

I appreciate them trying to decolonize but I don't think this is the right way to go about things.

Miranda

This is dangerous, but it did work well in Israel. Are they going to establish Ashanti as the main language?

AIDS!

Also the first country to gain independence
Hahah GODna always setting trends

Miranda

Ethopia been had their own language and they still flop to hell. Watch outs Gha'!

:stressed:

Herb.

Quote from: RED on October 29, 2015, 08:14:54 AM
Also the first country to gain independence
Hahah GODna always setting trends
:cheerup:

Stewie

Edgy....

they will probably go with Twi since i think it has the most speakers....slightly more than Ga

AIDS!

Quote from: Miranda on October 29, 2015, 08:19:56 AM
Ethopia been had their own language and they still flop to hell. Watch outs Gha'!

They're following in Korea's path
And since that they're economy has boomed
Maybe Nigeria should try and maybe they could produce their own power and have the West steal theirs

AIDS!

Miranda

Quote from: RED on October 29, 2015, 08:23:41 AM
Quote from: Miranda on October 29, 2015, 08:19:56 AM

They're following in Korea's path
And since that they're economy has boomed
Maybe Nigeria should try and maybe they could produce their own power and have the West steal theirs
Nigeria is linguistically way too diverse to try and establish one indigenous language as lingua franca. And Ghana is not the first lol. In Kenya and Uganda they successfully established a local language Swahili as the dominant language and they still flop.

The fact that people speak English so well in Nigeria makes them valuable for international business. And Igbo, Yoruba and Haussa already enjoy official status. Films, radio, newspapers exist in those languages. The Naira has all three languages represented in their notes and it is obligatory to learn it in school.

It's risky and the Korea comparison is a little odd tbh. Don't really see the connection.

AIDS!

Ghana is the first to do so in West Africa

Miranda

They could isolate themselves from the rest of Africa if they deteriorate their own English skills.

Cartierline

October 29, 2015, 08:39:28 AM #13 Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:39:43 AM by Cartier
Yeah honestly I don't think Korea is a good example to use. They have just one language, unlike Ghana and Nigeria.

And also, who/what determines what language becomes the new norm? Can't imagine other tribes being too happy about the final decision.

Herb.

Quote from: RED on October 29, 2015, 08:35:07 AM
Ghana is the first to do so in West Africa
wat kinda trendsetters lolz

lolz! woo