Ghana takes first steps to decolonize

Started by AIDS!, October 29, 2015, 08:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AIDS!

Quote from: Cartier on October 29, 2015, 08:39:28 AM
Yeah honestly I don't think Korea is a good example to use. They have just one language, unlike Ghana and Nigeria.

And also, who/what determines what language becomes the new norm? Can't imagine other tribes being too happy about the final decision.
There are 4 main languages

QuoteWhat would appear as a daunting task for the minister is settling on one out of the numerous languages spoken in the country. Ghana has over 46 dialects but English is the official language of Ghana and is universally used in schools in addition to nine other local languages. The most widely spoken local languages are: Ga, Dagomba, Akan and Ewe.

The Minister however did not mention or suggest any language she would want used as the medium of instruction in schools.

Stewie

Yeah honestly I don't think Korea is a good example to use. They have just one language, unlike Ghana and Nigeria.

And also, who/what determines what language becomes the new norm? Can't imagine other tribes being too happy about the final decision.

hh

they'll adjust...change is never easy

i speak Ga and i wouldnt mind being forced to learn one of the other tribal languages

Miranda

Yh Ghana sis, be careful.

Korea was not a colony and always had the same language. So I don't see the correlation.

Miranda

The French gorls are rising cause all the francophone countries are connected and speak so well.

How can Ghanaians do business with other West Africans if they can't speak French or English? If anything they should introduce French.

Cartierline

Quote from: Miranda on October 29, 2015, 08:52:54 AM
The French gorls are rising cause all the francophone countries are connected and speak so well.

How can Ghanaians do business with other West Africans if they can't speak French or English? If anything they should introduce French.

Well in this situation, English is still going to be taught as a second language. Eliminating English completely would be foolish.

Herb.

Cartierline

Quote from: Stewie on October 29, 2015, 08:47:43 AM

hh

i speak Ga and i wouldnt mind being forced to learn one of the other tribal languages

Yeah that's YOU tho.

If something like this happened in Nigeria and the Yoruba gorls were forced to learn Igbo, they'd be giving :udontlookok:

Stewie

Quote from: Cartier on October 29, 2015, 08:59:40 AM
Quote from: Miranda on October 29, 2015, 08:52:54 AM

Well in this situation, English is still going to be taught as a second language. Eliminating English completely would be foolish.

!!

Stewie

Quote from: Cartier on October 29, 2015, 09:00:53 AM
Quote from: Stewie on October 29, 2015, 08:47:43 AM

hh

Yeah that's YOU tho.

If something like this happened in Nigeria and the Yoruba gorls were forced to learn Igbo, they'd be giving :udontlookok:

nn

they would fume but they'll just have to deal....or fall behind  :nobunshun: