Y'all remember when Alicia was Beys biggest competition??

Started by CHOKE, October 30, 2015, 04:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAY7

Nnnn
I'm clearly joking
but GODriette>>>>>
still on her way to being the next "Beyonc?"

Cowgirl

Never liked her but I thought she was gonna be prominent for years to come. She plummeted awfully fast.

Lazarus

∧ ∨ ∩ ∪

She flopped because somewhere during The Element of Freedom she started to get bad press then there were though performances of her trying to be a pop star and mess. Ugh. This alber was her best.

Genesis

Neo soul is dead on mainstream radio (unless you are white) and she couldnt adapt.

Gilgamesh.

Quote from: Genesis on October 30, 2015, 11:27:14 AM
Neo soul is dead on mainstream radio (unless you are white) and she couldnt adapt.

Neo Soul has never been alive on mainstream radio :dead: Alicia was always the exception to the rule, but that's cause she was pretty, light skin and for the most part made good music.

I think she fell off cause her music diminished in quality.

Cowboy Nine

d

Licia isn't really Neo Soul in the first place

Element was shaky ground for her, and Larynx on Fire was the nail in the coffin

She could probably make a cute comeback tho

Genesis

Quote from: Gilgamesh. on October 30, 2015, 11:43:02 AM

Neo Soul has never been alive on mainstream radio :dead: Alicia was always the exception to the rule, but that's cause she was pretty, light skin and for the most part made good music.

Mary j, erykah badu, jill scott, maxwell, dangelo, lauryn hill, etc were all getting good radio play back then :uhh:

Mel.

Genesis

She's boring. When you have Beyonce who dances, makes entertaining videos and performances while you just sit on a piano.. Hard to compete.

Sounds like she has been making the same songs since 2004

Mel.

everyone doesn't have to dance tho.
Beyonce isn't the only one that can be out there doing it...

there are different artists for different people.

Mel.

Gilgamesh.

Quote from: Genesis on October 30, 2015, 11:49:35 AM

Mary j, erykah badu, jill scott, maxwell, dangelo, lauryn hill, etc were all getting good radio play back then :uhh:

Mary doesn't even do Neo-soul, Lauryn didn't have an album out. What radio hit has Erykah had? My point is that these artists weren't exactly lighting up billboard.

Lazarus

Quote from: Gilgamesh. on October 30, 2015, 11:56:22 AM

Mary doesn't even do Neo-soul, Lauryn didn't have an album out. What radio hit has Erykah had? My point is that these artists weren't exactly lighting up billboard.

Erykah had radio hits. Her biggest hits are Bag Lady and On & On. Bag Lady peaked at No.6 on the Hot 100 and On & On peaked at No.12. Erykah first album went 3x platinum. Her live album 2x platinum. She kinda broke Neo-Soul in a bit.

Genesis

Quote from: Gilgamesh. on October 30, 2015, 11:56:22 AM

Her music is soul, its not like contemporary r & b like beyonce or brandy.
Lauryn hasnt dropped an album in years but when she did it was heavily supported.

Erykah had a couple of top 10 hits.

Not saying they were topping charts worldwide but it was much easier to gather hits back then for soul artists.