OMG B7 is lashing guyyyyyyssssss !!!

Started by AfroJisiac, July 30, 2020, 08:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlem

Quote from: Rags on July 30, 2020, 01:03:17 PM
I'm scared to read reactions from the "mixing/mastering!" girls. The inconsistency is... slightly undeniable.  :plzstop:

Was not prepared for that rap at the end of I Am More.  :omgwatshappening:

!!!!!!!!!

They are going to have a field day!!!! The way people was coming at them too while they was highkey right  :plzstop:

Ima little upset w/ Bran how minor stuff like this she let slip, I can see not having the right marketing team to push but mixing/mastering should never be an issue

Harlem

The fact that my current fav Unconditional Oceans is not properly mixed kinda has me VEXED! 😤

FRANCE

Overall, I gotta say that Camper didnt come thru at all. They can never work again if thats at all possible. He needs to break her heart somehow so she can move the fuck on.

Highs:
Love how experimental she is. Her most experimental project since Afrodisiac. She challenged herself doing diff things. Lyrically, the album was pretty good overall. One of her most cohesive albums. She sounds amazing and I like that she was singing in the most comfortable parts of her range here. All these songs, she should be able to comfortably sing live without lowering keys or being hesitant to hit high notes.

Lows:
Production, mixing, mastering. Song structures, lack of solid melodies and choruses. Woulda preferred a balance of Without You, Shattered Heart, I Tried kinda records mixed with the progressive sound. A lot of the songs needed some kinda editing for me. Vocally, prob my least fave album of hers. Brandy is kinda known for not having an adlib or run outta place. With this album, there's too many little things I dont like and I think a part of it could be with the mixing and mastering of the songs. Something is off. Doesnt sound as polished. Her vocals on some songs actually sound higher than others.

I definitely would say this is my least favourite Brandy album. Not bad, but def my least fave. It's gonna get old quick. I can already tell. Too many skippable songs or songs I wont be in the mood to listen to on certain days.

Harlem

July 30, 2020, 01:14:43 PM #228 Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 01:15:03 PM by Harlem
On another note, it seems like this album is a compilation of her Unreleased era, which is good & bad...

hewritez

ok, I listened the whole way through and then again without High Heels, Baby Mama.

I like it. I don't LOVE it.

It's a little inconsistent for me.
I'm not getting the whole "sequenced to perfection" and "beginning to end"
vibes people have been hinting at.

That being said, some of these songs sound magical to me and I will be playing this
through the summer.

Just not "beginning to end"

I'm happy overall. Congrats to bran

bby ddy

Quote from: Harlem on July 30, 2020, 01:12:21 PM
Quote from: Rags on July 30, 2020, 01:03:17 PM
I'm scared to read reactions from the "mixing/mastering!" girls. The inconsistency is... slightly undeniable.  :plzstop:

Was not prepared for that rap at the end of I Am More.  :omgwatshappening:

!!!!!!!!!

They are going to have a field day!!!! The way people was coming at them too while they was highkey right  :plzstop:

Ima little upset w/ Bran how minor stuff like this she let slip, I can see not having the right marketing team to push but mixing/mastering should never be an issue

That's why I stayed silent. I hear what they were referring to but it doesn't make it any less enjoyable for me.

Harlem

Quote from: FRANCE on July 30, 2020, 01:14:03 PM
Overall, I gotta say that Camper didnt come thru at all. They can never work again if thats at all possible. He needs to break her heart somehow so she can move the fuck on.

Highs:
Love how experimental she is. Her most experimental project since Afrodisiac. She challenged herself doing diff things. Lyrically, the album was pretty good overall. One of her most cohesive albums. She sounds amazing and I like that she was singing in the most comfortable parts of her range here. All these songs, she should be able to comfortably sing live without lowering keys or being hesitant to hit high notes.

Lows:
Production, mixing, mastering. Song structures, lack of solid melodies and choruses. Woulda preferred a balance of Without You, Shattered Heart, I Tried kinda records mixed with the progressive sound. A lot of the songs needed some kinda editing for me. Vocally, prob my least fave album of hers. Brandy is kinda known for not having an adlib or run outta place. With this album, there's too many little things I dont like and I think a part of it could be with the mixing and mastering of the songs. Something is off. Doesnt sound as polished. Her vocals on some songs actually sound higher than others.

I definitely would say this is my least favourite Brandy album. Not bad, but def my least fave. It's gonna get old quick. I can already tell. Too many skippable songs or songs I wont be in the mood to listen to on certain days.

!!!!!!

This is exactly how I'm feeling right now too... Ima still give it more time

hewritez

Oh, and Borderline has me conflicted.
I like the way it starts and the way it ends.
I like the chorus.
But something happens in the middle.
I start to lose interest.
I agree with the comment about editing.

Harlem

This era so far is giving cheap and unpolished for an artist like Brandy... And it's no shade at all just more of higher expectations after an 8 year wait... she just needs a stronger, fresher and smarter team & invest more budget if she's gonna be independent! or Queen it's ok if you have to sign to Roc Nation or something just negotiate a good deal to have creative control

Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In

Quote from: Rags on July 30, 2020, 12:12:34 PM
Can someone PM me the link? I don't want to wait until tonight!
Me too
I am scarred, so fucking scarred
These are the scars of me
The very fucking scars of me
This is my tragic heart
My tragic heart

-Me "Tragic Heart"

BranLover

I think I have to sit with it some more and have the lyrics available to fully appreciate. These were instant for me tho: 
Unconditional Oceans( which was my least fav snippet) 
Rather Be 
Borderline
Say Something 
I Am More 
No Tomorrow  

Le Champ

Wow I cannot believe that the mixing of the album seems to be an issue. Literally the last thing I thought would happen. It's so crazy cuz she specifically talked about that process. It's like she has a bunch of amateurs around her. That's disappointing.

Arcstrider

Quote from: Harlem on July 30, 2020, 01:14:43 PM
On another note, it seems like this album is a compilation of her Unreleased era, which is good & bad...

That excites me! A lot of my favorite songs from her are from that era. "Rather Be" instantly reminded me of "Sweet Nothings," for example, which is my all-time favorite song from her. Dark, yet dreamy, ethereal sounding Brandy is absolutely my favorite.

⚡ Flow like lightning. Strike like thunder. 🌀

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark;
the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Rimshot

So, my honest first listen thoughts:

- Top 3: Rather Be, No Tomorrow, Lucid Dreams.
- Bottom 3: Baby Mama, High Heels, Say Something.
- Saving All My Love is a slightly confusing opener. 
- I love how the songs all blend into each other
- The beat and melody changes throughout are always interesting.
- Still not entirely sure why the interludes were needed.
- Mixing/mastering IS an issue.
- First half > second half.
- Borderline definitely could have been edited down a bit. Runs a little long.
- Rather Be and No Tomorrow are the remaining single options.
- Getting a lot of Dawn vibes from this overall. 

Again, no final judgments til I have a few more listens. I feel pretty mixed right now. I'm just happy she's back, finally.

BranLover

I think SAML isn't moving me as much because I'm comparing it to the yt clip, but I'm glad they included bits of the very first preview to this song. It'll grow on me eventually.