Chadwick Boseman's Role As Thurgood Marshall Sparks Colorism Debate

Started by Freemala Harris, June 27, 2017, 02:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GLOCK

Quote from: Kordei Jauregui. on June 27, 2017, 07:57:43 AM
Quote from: BigDawg on June 27, 2017, 04:47:45 AM
This is so stupid.

Now people are complaining that this man is too dark to play TM?!
ofuckingkay?

Angela Bassett, a dark skinned woman, played Light Skin Tina Turner, and slayed in the role. The role shouldn't go to who looks the fucking part. It should go to who can deliver the work the best. I really can't believe black people are upset over this. How fucking disgusting.

Never see white complaining about who's paler than the other. Who's more Orange! Pink!
But the major issue is that marshall was known as someone that could pass
His family as well  :dead:
That makes things a bit different and u can't compare Caucasians to blacks when there's a reason why we range in skin tones .. largely because of their mess...
So again..
This was poorly casted. Being able to pass was a HUGE thing during his era

So ur wrong bby bro

GLOCK

Quote from: UBH on June 27, 2017, 08:20:51 AM
Quote from: ANIMMAI on June 27, 2017, 08:19:41 AM
Quote from: UBH on June 27, 2017, 08:13:40 AM
Quote from: ANIMMAI on June 27, 2017, 08:12:18 AM
And if they hired Halle Berry to play Michelle Obama, the reactions would be totally different but woo! stop complaining!
But that isn't that big of a reach

d

Bye Jayden  :dead:
Im serious
Michelle is a brown skinned woman, Halle is light :dead:
Now if they got Halle to play Oprah then I'd be  :uhh:
there is no difference there  :plzstop:

AIDS

who Michelle wants to play her may not matter as they often don't even consult certain people when they do these biopics. But I agree she doesn't seem like she's out of touch

FlowerBomb

Afro use a real Mandela pic, that mannequin is scary as hell
King looks embalmed  :bvy:

KING BENTLEY.

IMO it's not the fact of colorism "shouldn't" matter

It's the fact that it DID :dead:
And that's what a biopic is, an entertaining historical account

They didn't seek a fat latina to play Selena
And thy didn't seek Leslie Jones for Dorothy Dandridge

If you're interested in the subject of a biopic, their look can play a role in how their life went

We were lucky enough to get into the Smithsonian AA Culture & History museum while in DC and looking all the way back, to Booker and W.E.B., Benjamin Banneker, blacks need to look up pictures of all these names they hear about, you'll see a lot of hazel eyes and different hair textures :dead:

Harriet and Sijourner did a lot but a certain skin tone could get into places they couldn't without an epic fight ... a certain "look" got you farther

We don't like to admit colorism sometimes played a huge role in our advancement because of filthy white Neanderthals and their predatory thinking. Because while massa's interacial children were still black, they were more accepted and while the goal was the same, it was two totally different paths. They could get educated easier.

Am mean ... 'Bama is light skin. I wouldn't say it played a HUGE role, but if there's ever a biopic I don't want someone with Wesley Snipes tone playing bruv

H.#.G.*.Z

KING BENTLEY.

H.#.G.*.Z

yummy

Quote from: ORORO MUNROE-UDAKU on June 27, 2017, 11:27:56 AM
IMO it's not the fact of colorism "shouldn't" matter

It's the fact that it DID :dead:
And that's what a biopic is, an entertaining historical account

They didn't seek a fat latina to play Selena
And they didn't seek Leslie Jones for Dorothy Dandridge

If you're interested in the subject of a biopic, their look can play a role in how their life went

We were lucky enough to get into the Smithsonian AA Culture & History museum while in DC and looking all the way back, to Booker and W.E.B., Benjamin Banneker, blacks need to look up pictures of all these names they hear about, you'll see a lot of hazel eyes and different hair textures :dead:

Harriet and Sijourner did a lot but a certain skin tone could get into places they couldn't without an epic fight ... a certain "look" got you farther

We don't like to admit colorism sometimes played a huge role in our advancement because of filthy white Neanderthals and their predatory thinking. Because while massa's interacial children were still black, they were more accepted and while the goal was the same, it was two totally different paths. They could get educated easier.

Am mean ... 'Bama is light skin. I wouldn't say it played a HUGE role, but if there's ever a biopic I don't want someone with Wesley Snipes tone playing bruv

:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

BAPHOMET.

GRAND

June 27, 2017, 12:49:14 PM #71 Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:49:37 PM by LORD GRAND SUPREME PRIME CELESTIAL MARSHALL
I think this is proof that Hollywood will use whoever is HOT at the moment no matter what, if nothing else :kii:

BAPHOMET.

Quote from: ANIMMAI on June 27, 2017, 08:11:01 AM
Quote from: Trey on June 27, 2017, 07:34:35 AM
Quote from: ORORO MUNROE-UDAKU on June 27, 2017, 06:01:43 AM
Quote from: ANIMMAI on June 27, 2017, 05:44:47 AM
If you know anything about Thurgood Marshall, him being lightskinned is what helped him work his way through the legal system. I know Chadwick is a hot commodity rn but this look sloppy.
!!!!!!!!!
It helped him greatly as it did other blacks in government and political positions before him

The purpose of biopic casting is to match an actors look as closely to the subject character as possible and hope they nail the personality.
!!!!!!!!

And capture the story. If his light skin tone played a major role in his story, this casting makes absolutely no sense. :dead:

Right. Overlooking an integral part of the subject's life to cast someone with a lot of star power is tacky as hell.

Hope this mess flops lol!

No need to hope. It def' WILL.

b7

Quote from: AYR on June 27, 2017, 08:23:05 AM
I think the current political climate has ppl really on edge
and ready to argue about anything.
Angela Basset has played women of pretty much every complexion in the past with no problem
and Flex played Michael Jackson
I'm sure Chadwick will do well with the role
he'll do a great job but like yummy said, complexion is actually very integral to this storyline and TM's ascension politically. Especially back in those days

It's not the same.  Just like the John legend Frederick Douglas thing

RAY7

Quote from: 1RIG on June 27, 2017, 05:55:58 PM
Quote from: AYR on June 27, 2017, 08:23:05 AM
I think the current political climate has ppl really on edge
and ready to argue about anything.
Angela Basset has played women of pretty much every complexion in the past with no problem
and Flex played Michael Jackson
I'm sure Chadwick will do well with the role
he'll do a great job but like yummy said, complexion is actually very integral to this storyline and TM's ascension politically. Especially back in those days

It's not the same.  Just like the John legend Frederick Douglas thing
n well yeah
its a movie though, was Thurgood bi-racial? They can still cast a white parent
and write the advantages of it into the script
Denzel did it with Malcolm