The role of West Africans in the slave trade

Started by yummy, July 16, 2018, 07:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cartierline

Quote from: ton on July 17, 2018, 12:11:56 PM
does that mean an african prince is going to give me 10% of a million if i give him my bank info?

that african prince is me so sift your details luv

Image result for sister patterson envelope gif

Sinpool

My Familial line that came out of West Africa is my Dominican and Brazilian parents that came to the US.

I think they were Cape Verdan and Angolan with a pinch of Khoisan.

yummy

Quote from: LoveHappy on July 17, 2018, 11:42:28 AM
This was trash of them, but it's also out of context and forcing our way of seeing history on people who don't see it the same way.

Race wasn't a thing then so when people say Africans were selling their brothers they're basically trying to make it seem like black people we're savages with no loyalty, but like this says Africans we're selling prisoners and disgraced members of their family.

the problem is people try to rewrite history to make the Africans look like evil backstabbers, but in reality this is how the world worked. A perfect example is Australia's existence and the Irish slaves people love to bring up all the time. White people brought them there.

The problem with the Trans Atlantic slave trade is white people created race and made it so black people were inherently slaves. Africans didn't know they we're selling their race into slavery because to them and the rest of the world there was no such thing as black and white or race in general, just humans.

That's why when white people stepped on the Americas Native Americans didn't have problems making a Marvel team up with them to snatch the Aztecs and Incas. The biggest factory is White people we're just the most sinister group by creating the label of white people because before then a Greek or a Roman would be disgusted by the idea.

:ermm:

I think it?s somewhat irresponsible to absolve West Africans of all accountability for what they were doing. The slave trade was not only a system built on race, but one driven by capitalism. Many African kingdoms still dabbled in slave trading even after it was criminalized and built wealthy empires off the backs of the market.

Kurama

Quote from: ANIMMAI on July 17, 2018, 12:18:38 PM
Quote from: LoveHappy on July 17, 2018, 11:42:28 AM
This was trash of them, but it's also out of context and forcing our way of seeing history on people who don't see it the same way.

Race wasn't a thing then so when people say Africans were selling their brothers they're basically trying to make it seem like black people we're savages with no loyalty, but like this says Africans we're selling prisoners and disgraced members of their family.

the problem is people try to rewrite history to make the Africans look like evil backstabbers, but in reality this is how the world worked. A perfect example is Australia's existence and the Irish slaves people love to bring up all the time. White people brought them there.

The problem with the Trans Atlantic slave trade is white people created race and made it so black people were inherently slaves. Africans didn't know they we're selling their race into slavery because to them and the rest of the world there was no such thing as black and white or race in general, just humans.

That's why when white people stepped on the Americas Native Americans didn't have problems making a Marvel team up with them to snatch the Aztecs and Incas. The biggest factory is White people we're just the most sinister group by creating the label of white people because before then a Greek or a Roman would be disgusted by the idea.

:ermm:

I think it?s somewhat irresponsible to absolve West Africans of all accountability for what they were doing. The slave trade was not only a system built on race, but one driven by capitalism. Many African kingdoms still dabbled in slave trading even after it was criminalized and built wealthy empires off the backs of the market.
Fag I love when you forsake the sarcasm for a sec and get all scholarly :flamebroiled:

yummy

But this whole thing speaks more to the notion that wealth is some sort of golden ticket out of oppression. These people proudly participated in the buying and selling of human flesh for capitalist gain and still ended up getting their own land colonized by some of the same Europeans they were doing business with.

Cowgirl

Quote from: ambiguous on July 17, 2018, 11:36:14 AM
And speaking of slavery -

I was having a conversation with someone the other day and they pointed out how they do NOT use the word "slaves" to reference our ancestors. She feels as if it dehumanizes them. She uses the term "enslaved people" instead. It really put a light bulb in my head . Like wow. I told her I was stealing that from her, so I wanted to give her credit since I finally used it. :dead:
That?s really great tbh. :uhh:

yummy

LOONA.

Quote from: ANIMMAI on July 17, 2018, 12:22:21 PM
But this whole thing speaks more to the notion that wealth is some sort of golden ticket out of oppression. These people proudly participated in the buying and selling of human flesh for capitalist gain and still ended up getting their own land colonized by some of the same Europeans they were doing business with.

!!!

And yh...I believe they knew what they were doing.

All that shucking and jiving only to be stabbed in the back at the end anyway.

An Omorosa mess owt     

MelMel

I can believe it. I know there was blacks that owned slaves here in America

Cowgirl

Quote from: ambiguous on July 17, 2018, 08:47:30 PM
Quote from: MelMel on July 17, 2018, 08:39:05 PM
Quote from: ambiguous on July 17, 2018, 08:32:28 PM
Quote from: MelMel on July 17, 2018, 08:06:13 PM
:guys:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theroot.com/did-black-people-own-slaves-1790895436/amp
Yeah this is another thing that's rarely discussed.

But the flip side of it is that many of the Black slave owners purchased slaves in order to keep their families together, etc. They may have been free but their relatives may not have been - so if they didn't own them, someone else would have.

Then there were just flat out Black slave owners who just wanted some slaves. :cheerup:

At least based on what I've read. Could be a bit inaccurate.
:omgwatshappening:

MelMel

Quote from: ambiguous on July 17, 2018, 08:47:30 PM
Quote from: MelMel on July 17, 2018, 08:39:05 PM
Quote from: ambiguous on July 17, 2018, 08:32:28 PM
Quote from: MelMel on July 17, 2018, 08:06:13 PM
:guys:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theroot.com/did-black-people-own-slaves-1790895436/amp
Yeah this is another thing that's rarely discussed.

But the flip side of it is that many of the Black slave owners purchased slaves in order to keep their families together, etc. They may have been free but their relatives may not have been - so if they didn't own them, someone else would have.

Then there were just flat out Black slave owners who just wanted some slaves. :cheerup:

At least based on what I've read. Could be a bit inaccurate.
both are true

Lane Bryant Jumpsuit

Quote from: Guilty on July 17, 2018, 03:31:06 AM
Not WEST AFRICANS, don?t put that on us, blame the Nigerian chiefs
And of course it would be the Nigerians  :dead:
does it matter really

Lewie D Im Caramel Bitches Ion Wanna hear Im Actin
Different