The 100 Greatest Boy Band Songs of All Time

Started by Lazarus, April 23, 2018, 01:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazarus

99. B2K, "Uh Huh" (2001)

B2K reshaped the concept of the black boy band in the ?00s with a sound that leaned more toward TRL-era pop than the standard R&B of the time, beginning with their catchy '01 debut single ?Uh Huh.? The buzzy synths, lead singer Omarion?s sensual vocals, their feathery harmonies and that booty-popping bassline made the track one of the biggest highlights of the band?s short-lived career. -- BIANCA GRACIE

95. Mindless Behavior, "My Girl" (2010)

Teen quartet Mindless Behavior were about six months early (and maybe a couple years too young) for the great boy-band boom of the 2010s, and never saw the major crossover success of some of their successors. Still, debut single "My Girl" was a popcorn-love head-nodder irresistible enough to get them gigs opening for Janet Jackson and Justin Bieber, and even to earn a cameo from adult R&B star Ciara on the song's remix. -- A.U.

83. Hi-Five, "She's Playing Hard to Get" (1992)

It wasn't Hi-Five's biggest Hot 100 hit -- that'd be 1991's chart-topping "I Like the Way (The Kissing Game)" -- but it's the one that stands as the Waco, Texas quintet's most winning groove a quarter-century later. The sentiment might not be received quite as naively in 2018 -- "She's playing hard to get/ She just won't admit that she likes me" -- but the group's vocals are sugary and innocent enough to impose no real threat, and the "she likes me, she liiiiiiiiiikes me" chorus exhortations are too sweet and ridiculous to find any real objection to. -- A.U.

79. Immature, "Never Lie" (1994)

West Coast teen trio Immature -- now known as IMx -- were as memorable for their eyewear as their vocals: Two of 'em wore John Lennon-style sunglasses with round lenses, while third member Young Rome wore an eye patch, apparently due to an incident suffered at the hands of fellow teen sensation Brandy. But Hot 100 top 5 hit "Never Lie" endures as a disarmingly tender acoustic ballad, recently remixed by Stones Throw producer Knxwledge to memorably stripped- and pitched-down effect. -- A.U.

77. Jodeci, "Forever My Lady" (1991)

Impending fatherhood isn?t typical boy band fare, and despite the opening of ?Forever My Lady?, none of the young men of Jodeci was on the verge of having a baby in the spring of ?91. That was the lyrical contribution of New Jack Swing exemplar Al B. Sure!, who co-wrote ?Forever My Lady? with producer DeVante Swing. Lead vocalists K-Ci and Jojo brought the sweet and rough, youthful but adult style that defined the group, fulfilling the dream of Sean Combs to imbue an R&B group with the edge of hip-hop. -- ROSS SCARANO

54. Soul for Real, "Candy Rain" (1995)

?Have you ever loved someone/ So much you thought you'd die?? typically aren?t the dramatic opening lyrics you expect to hear from guys in their teens and early twenties, but this hopeless devotion is what made Soul 4 Real?s ?Candy Rain? a song to adore from the first listen. On the surface, the track is immediately compelling as an R&B jam due to its subtle New Jack Swing influence. But their harmonized croons of puppy love is what gives the track its boy band appeal. -- B.G.

52. *NSYNC, "It's Gonna Be Me" (2000)

As *NSYNC's sole Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 hit -- incredibly enough -- "It's Gonna Be Me" benefits from pop mastermind Max Martin's magic touch and an insanely catchy cascading hook. Just as importantly, the turn-of-the-century classic sparked one of the best memes of all time: Thank you, Justin Timberlake, for making the word "me" sound like "may," thereby launching a thousand iterations of ?It?s Gonna Be May? jokes. Even a photo of Ramen noodles does the trick these days. -- G.G.

51. O-Town, "Liquid Dreams" (2000)

The debut single of the Making the Band-assembled Orlando quintet O-Town, "Liquid Dreams" made a first impression quite unlike any other in boy band history -- essentially compiling the group's own canon of turn-of-the-century hotties (Tyra, Madonna, HALLE B!, etc.) and casting them as the "star of [their] liquid dreams." The implications are squirmy, no doubt -- though the approach is so quintessentially adolescent it's hard to see it as anything grosser than run-of-the-mill teenage perviness. But the group's horny energy is well-harnassed by the squelching beat and clever songwriting, and the overstuffed chorus is as sticky as, well... we've already said too much. -- A.U.

Quote38. B2K feat. P. Diddy, "Bump Bump Bump" (2002)

Ghoulies, ghosties, long-leggedy beasties, and, apparently, one eye-catching lady who should be in magazines -- these are the things that go bump (bump, bump) in the night. The 2002 track was the quartet?s only chart-topping hit, but, really, it owes its success to a certain trio: Omarion, the song?s lead vocalist and the group?s breakout star; R. Kelly, who wrote and produced the slinky club jam; and P. Diddy, who peppers the song with ad-libs and endearing come-ons like the kind of wingman you?d want by your side for a night out. -- N.F.

Quote34. Color Me Badd, "I Wanna Sex You Up" (1991)

Most ?90s boy bands used PG innuendos when it came to singing about sex. But the at-least-PG-13 Color Me Badd didn?t have time for all of that subtlety, so they cut to the chase on debut single ?I Wanna Sex You Up.? If the bold title didn?t make things clear enough, the horny lyrics about "makin' love until we drown" surely did. The bouncy New Jack Swing beat, those tight ?Ooo, ooo, ooo, ooh!? harmonies and lead singer Bryan Abrams? breathy vocals added to the formula that shot this song No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100. -- B.G.

Full list
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/list/8362499/greatest-boy-band-songs-of-all-time-top-100

Lazarus

4 fucking k

What about the other R&B groups? Like Public Announcement and Boyz II Men?

Lazarus

Quote from: element on April 23, 2018, 01:41:24 PM

New Edition, Jackson 5, Troop, Soul 4 Real, Jodeci, Another Bad Creation are all listed

Lazarus

4 fucking k

Quote from: Lazarus on April 23, 2018, 01:43:04 PM
Quote from: element on April 23, 2018, 01:41:24 PM

New Edition, Jackson 5, Troop, Soul 4 Real, Jodeci, Another Bad Creation are all listed

I'm fuming

BAPHOMET.

Gekkouga

not Backstreet Boys over Jackson 5 and the Beatles  :uhh:

and 1D at #4 :dead:

fucking trash ass list :udontlookok:

Young

Larger Than Life by Backstreet better be perched

RAY7

End of The Road, Ill Make Love and One Sweet Day are like the biggest songs ever
are they serious? :uhh: