Has R&B become reductive?

Started by GYNandTONIC, December 13, 2015, 08:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herb.

December 13, 2015, 11:20:07 AM #30 Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:20:14 AM by Herbie
Quote from: inluvwitbran on December 13, 2015, 09:48:46 AM
Quote from: GYNandTONIC on December 13, 2015, 08:51:57 AMI think the blue eyed soul artist and the alternative r&b black artist have one thing in common. Stronger, deeper, more poetic lyrics.

BULL FUCKIN SHIT

:calmdownsis:

yummy

Quote from: Bentley! on December 13, 2015, 11:10:43 AM
ssssssssssss

those are not great songs.

am mean... here's the reality. we can't cry about blue-eyed soul singers stepping outside of the box just a bit

and then call a song like Liquor great :dead:

you can't have it both ways

where are the blue eyed singers stepping outside of the box though?

is it adele belting over a piano? let's not act like celine and barbara streisand haven't been doing that since before she was born. or justin and robin singing about suits and domesticating women?

I'm not seeing all this innovation and genius you're speaking about coming from these white artists.

whatever

Kmichelle is late

Tamar Music is too traditional would've did decent in 2005

Sevyn can't get a hit too save her life and she actually makes decent music but it's all the shit we heard before

Elijah Blake sucks and trying to dance plus he ain't that cute and he gay tryna appeal to ladies

Bryson tiller is the next august

Tyrese is fucking stale

Can't believe The weekend is prolly our last cross over since who nicki?

Guess we will wait 5 more years

RAY7

Quote from: Bentley! on December 13, 2015, 11:11:32 AM
and we can't say what would've happened if Usher did Blurred Lines or Suit and Tie (which WOULD have fit his style)
until he actually steps up to the plate and creates
He did
he actually has a song called "Twisted" from
His last album, very much in the same lane as Blurred Lines (and it was recorded BEFORE) Blurred Lines
and it was ignored.
AND if these white artists are "stepping out of the box" then WHY is Robin the one who got sued for biting Marvin?
Why did Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson get sued and had to switch them credits to include Trinidad James and Gap Band?

Anyone suing Usher, and Chris? Nope

yummy

Quote from: inluvwitbran on December 13, 2015, 11:22:20 AM
and we can't say what would've happened if Usher did Blurred Lines or Suit and Tie (which WOULD have fit his style)
AND if these white artists are "stepping out of the box" then WHY is Robin the one who got sued for biting Marvin?
Why did Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson get sued and had to switch them credits to include Trinidad James and Gap Band?

dd

well drag a bit then, ray

whatever

He did
His last album, very much in the same lane as Blurred Lines (and it was recorded BEFORE) Blurred Lines
and it was ignored.

I love twisted

But if usher would've released it he wouldn't have did the proper video

In Bruno defense he puts a little more effort whether it's roller in his hair or whatever his video is what really sold that song

Usher would've did twisted in some "omg" "good kisser" type video

Usher got comfortable and is boring but so is Justin, but justin was coming back from a hiatus I don't think that boring shit will work this time around.

Lazarus

Quote from: whatever on December 13, 2015, 11:16:23 AM
Tinashe is flopping because she doesn't have star quality

Her videos suck and her performance outfits even suck, her image sucks

Same black hair middle part

Giving me Ariana ponytail teas

:plzstop:

RAY7

Quote from: whatever on December 13, 2015, 11:11:52 AM
Quote from: inluvwitbran on December 13, 2015, 11:04:57 AM
Chris has put out great songs this era
Liquor, Zero, Back To Sleep>>>>
hes don't that before and as you can see the public is bored....

Lay off the drugs, get some vocal lessons and tighten up and put out music with some feeling.

That dancing shit isn't in right now....

Even Bryson tiller don't dance

Chris need to do a era that's worthwhile come up with a concept, different visuals

He been remaking MJ rock my world video since he came out
thats bull I'm sorry
Yes Chris can tighten up and get off drugs
But Justin Beiber is out here sounding just as bad
DANCING, just like Chris so clearly that's no issue
doing drugs and all, and his album is already Platinum

Stop attacking the artists because white ppl are not doing anything different, and are still getting more opportunity, selling more, and winning all the awards

RAY7

Quote from: whatever on December 13, 2015, 11:27:04 AM
He did
and it was ignored.

I love twisted

In Bruno defense he puts a little more effort whether it's roller in his hair or whatever his video is what really sold that song

Usher got comfortable and is boring but so is Justin, but justin was coming back from a hiatus I don't think that boring shit will work this time around.
there is nothing special about putting rollers in your hair
wtf? bye

whatever

Quote from: inluvwitbran on December 13, 2015, 11:31:58 AM
Quote from: whatever on December 13, 2015, 11:27:04 AM
He did
and it was ignored.

I love twisted

there is nothing special about putting rollers in your hair
wtf? bye

It actually went viral and journalists were writing stories on it. In today's time it matters. Specially when he performed lb the voice? With them.

Bruno gets it

whatever

Quote from: inluvwitbran on December 13, 2015, 11:28:11 AM
Quote from: whatever on December 13, 2015, 11:11:52 AM
Quote from: inluvwitbran on December 13, 2015, 11:04:57 AM
Chris has put out great songs this era
Liquor, Zero, Back To Sleep>>>>
hes don't that before and as you can see the public is bored....

Lay off the drugs, get some vocal lessons and tighten up and put out music with some feeling.

That dancing shit isn't in right now....

Even Bryson tiller don't dance

Chris need to do a era that's worthwhile come up with a concept, different visuals

He been remaking MJ rock my world video since he came out
thats bull I'm sorry
Yes Chris can tighten up and get off drugs
But Justin Beiber is out here sounding just as bad
DANCING, just like Chris so clearly that's no issue
doing drugs and all, and his album is already Platinum

Stop attacking the artists because white ppl are not doing anything different, and are still getting more opportunity, selling more, and winning all the awards

We live in America you have to be 10x better to get half of what they have. You can't go by white mediocrity, is it fair? NO, but you can't change that. Just because Justin is doing the bare minimum doesn't mean it's going to work for you.

Black artists set the trends Chris has already done what Justin is doing and that's the problem with Chris the same shit.

yummy

so wearing rollers is edgy and sells records now?

got it

:rudone:

Bentley!

:dead: @ Pharrell not giving flUsh Blurred Lines
I don't like Twisted as much, Blurred is the better song, and damn... Robin really gave a better vocal :dead:

Bentley!

now I really liked Good Kisser, that's what Usher should keep doing.. but I keep seeing him going back to this faux-pop mess

whatever

I haven't seen one black male release a stay with me, thinking out loud type of record.

Everything is so niche to urban radio.

Then they say oh we do that music it don't get played...well where is it?

Miguel was on the right path with adorn....