Has R&B become reductive?

Started by GYNandTONIC, December 13, 2015, 08:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bentley!

December 13, 2015, 11:43:49 AM #45 Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:44:05 AM by Bentley!
Quote from: inluvwitbran on December 13, 2015, 11:28:11 AM
Quote from: whatever on December 13, 2015, 11:11:52 AM
Quote from: inluvwitbran on December 13, 2015, 11:04:57 AM
Chris has put out great songs this era
Liquor, Zero, Back To Sleep>>>>
hes don't that before and as you can see the public is bored....

Lay off the drugs, get some vocal lessons and tighten up and put out music with some feeling.

That dancing shit isn't in right now....

Even Bryson tiller don't dance

Chris need to do a era that's worthwhile come up with a concept, different visuals

He been remaking MJ rock my world video since he came out
thats bull I'm sorry
Yes Chris can tighten up and get off drugs
But Justin Beiber is out here

Stop attacking the artists
he's out here because of USHER :dead: :kii: :kii:

like... anyway you spin it... it comes back to BLACK ARTISTS!  :dead:

whatever

December 13, 2015, 11:45:17 AM #46 Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:45:47 AM by whatever
Quote from: ANIMMAI on December 13, 2015, 11:40:10 AM
so wearing rollers is edgy and sells records now?

got it

:rudone:

No it creates viral memes which makes people talk about the song which blows the song up. It's more to It then releasing music.....

You know everyone isn't boxed like black male artist Fitted caps, tees, skinny leg jeans and Jordan's....

Bentley!

I'm curious as to why do yawl keep bring up Adele, comparing her to Jazzy, saying
"oh black artist doing it the same way!"

she's not even slaying with true rnb/soul right :dead:

yawl do know that she's pop/world infused with blues elements :kii: :kii:

Herb.

are we back to blaming black artists :dead:

the reality is that their heritage sets the odds against them from the get go.

doors will be slammed in their face, heads will be turned.

"oh, u black, u should know how to be soulful lolz. :ohwow: "

but a white person does the same thing and it's unique, edgy , creative and interesting.
how?! omg?! this is great :diddraispoot:

it's pretty simple

whatever

Quote from: whatever on December 13, 2015, 11:43:15 AM
I haven't seen one black male release a stay with me, thinking out loud type of record.

Everything is so niche to urban radio.

Then they say oh we do that music it don't get played...well where is it?

Miguel was on the right path with adorn....

John legend all of me*

Aalonso.

Quote from: GYNandTONIC on December 13, 2015, 09:44:45 AM
Quote from: Boys Don't Cry on December 13, 2015, 09:15:13 AM
R&B is mainly about love, and singing about love will never go out of style.
I think the presentation, promotion and support for R&B needs to change.
I don't see why heavy hitters like Dr Dre, Diddy, Jay Z ect can't form some kind of platform for Urban artists, where they have control over their own material and management. Or gather urban radio station support or TV channels like BET, VH1 to join

But how many R&B singers are actually singing about love? Chris, Trey, August, Usher, and ect. seem to have a stronger focus on sex or loving a chick because of how good she is at sex. I cant really remember the last time a guy has been lyrically vunerable. Usher "Confessions" I feel may have been the last.

Tyrese most recently.

Aalonso.

damn White privilege in R&B too :dead:  commodity!

GYNandTONIC

Some are totally focused on the blue eyed soul part but I also included black alternative R&B artist (I hate that term by the way).

There is a reason why Frank, Miguel, and Weeknd are gaining bigger accolades and awards. There music gets play on pop radio and the integrity of the music isnt compromised. Lyrically their music is apart from Chris, Trey, Tank. Even if they dont sell as much as the whites they still have Rolling Stone covers, Grammy Performances, anticipated releases.

whatever

December 13, 2015, 12:31:02 PM #53 Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:31:54 PM by whatever
Was just on snap chat Chris brown is shooting a video in a mansion and has alot of girls around him dancing nnnnnn
I believe it was at his house too
He's visually finished

whatever

Quote from: GYNandTONIC on December 13, 2015, 12:28:51 PM
Some are totally focused on the blue eyed soul part but I also included black alternative R&B artist (I hate that term by the way).

There is a reason why Frank, Miguel, and Weeknd are gaining bigger accolades and awards. There music gets play on pop radio and the integrity of the music isnt compromised. Lyrically their music is apart from Chris, Trey, Tank. Even if they dont sell as much as the whites they still have Rolling Stone covers, Grammy Performances, anticipated releases.

yeah Miguel album was like #1 on time mag list...

Frank visually is king am waiting to see what he comes up with

Bentley!

sssssss
wait gorls... before I jump into the whole "support black music" "rnb artist don't get the same opportunities" pity party

Tweet's single "Won't Hurt Me" dropped in September and her alberm is dropping in January

fair is fair... if yawl are gonna argue a point,  go support my gorl then we'll talk :dead:

BAPHOMET.

I dont really see that happening.

Bentley!

December 13, 2015, 12:45:23 PM #57 Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:45:52 PM by Bentley!
and don't get me wrong, or confuse my stance. sometimes I think I can sound harsh on this subject

blacks create -->whites steal ---> no credit given ---> black re-invent --> whites steal some more --> no credit given

this cycle is repeated with every genre of music we create :dead:

it's slowly starting to happen in hip-hop as well. My only thing is, we can't sit and cry about it. sTank you're innovative ... go create something. We know it isn't fair, it's that's what some of you are trying to argue, we've known it since slavery :dead:

Bentley!

December 13, 2015, 12:57:22 PM #58 Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:58:17 PM by Bentley!
this is interesting too ... not us basically creating country music too :dead:
... what if we had the power to snatch coin for every single thing they've infringed upon

no reparations ... no royalties ...

QuoteBlacks in the Americas (meaning all Blacks in America, the Carribean and South America drawing from African traditions) did create the Blues, Rock, Jazz, Funk, R&B, Reggae, Calypso and Gospel (Spirituals too) as well as influencing Samba, Bossa Nova, etc. rhythmically. Country music is heavily influenced by Black Gospel and Blues as well as some other European folk traditions as mentioned by Bassmeister before. Some of the melodic and harmonic elements came from European classical music also (many early Black Jazz composers studied Bach). Popular culture has always borrowed heavily from the Black sense of style in music, personal attitude, fashion and other areas in America and has influenced the world in the most profound and amazing ways and continues to do so to this day.

Blues, Gospel and Jazz have each contributed a great deal to the melodic approaches common in most American popular music whether it be in the form of "Blue notes, the Blues Scale, the Bebop scale or the numerous redefinitions of traditional melodies. They also provided new treatments for traditional European harmony in many cases (uses for Dominant harmony). Each of these contributions have made their way into mainstream American music and still exist today. Their origins can be researched and are documented.

The nature of the racist society we live in has much to do with why things may seem the way they do today. Copyright infringement, lack of access to proper legal representation, and general disenfranchisement by this country has resulted in others' ownership of music created by Blacks. The music was copied by others who later were able to create very similar music, but never quite the same.

When a peoples' language, religion, family heritage, access to work and security, etc. have all been taken from them and they are still allowed to creat art, each broken aspect of their culture will filter its way into the art they create. This is what makes their expression so powerful and compelling to the world.

Corporations (Sony, Time-Warner, etc.) who control musical product all ultimately determine what we see and hear the most and what will be available for purchase. Therefore commercial type artists will create the type of music that corporations tell them will make them "stars". True artists create for other reasons and often have messages in their music that corporations are not in favor of. The most powerful artistic creations are censored by corporations who do the will of the ruling majority.

Most of what we get as a result is the script they (corporate/military/ government complex) want us (general public) to follow: "drugs, sex and rock and roll".

Sinpool

d

Why are black people restricted to R&B anyway?

R&B just ain't in. Jason Derulo is a flop but manages to score hits and get placements at award shows. I love R&B but I hate how it's almost like it's the only thing expected of Black artists. Especially when Black people had a hand in creating other genres that are considered white now.