Aweee, I feel sorry for the illegal girls. He's really doing this

Started by ton, June 18, 2019, 11:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtwoeleven

Quote from: Ton on June 18, 2019, 12:59:02 PM
Quote from: jtwoeleven on June 18, 2019, 12:42:06 PM
I'm more concerned about this hearing on reparations in DC on Juneteenth.
n

Not happening

The hearing IS. Do I think the reps there are serious? Definitely not.

ton

No I mean reparations aren't happening. 

How do you determine who is black or what black is anyway? 

It's just going to be a mess

Cowboy Nine

Quote from: Freeruu on June 18, 2019, 11:59:55 AM

lfnldsflfakmkflfsmk'fdslkfdsmkmfdfds

Kelly really thought she was gonna make a POINT here

jtwoeleven

Quote from: Ton on June 18, 2019, 01:03:21 PM

It's only a mess because people don't wanna make the damn payment. The debt is the debt, period. Even white people can tell the difference between native blacks and blacks who've immigrated here.

It's not that hard. If you're the direct descendant of blacks from several generations in America, you qualify. If your family came here more recently, especially after the 1965 immigration act, you don't qualify.

ton

Quote from: jtwoeleven on June 18, 2019, 01:10:05 PM

It's only a mess because people don't wanna make the damn payment. The debt is the debt, period. Even white people can tell the difference between native blacks and blacks who've immigrated here.

It's not that hard. If you're the direct descendant of blacks from several generations in America, you qualify. If your family came here more recently, especially after the 1965 immigration act, you don't qualify.
what about the mixed girls? Are they black?

Or someone who has black parents but looks white

:dead:

I have an African parent and an American parent

Do I qualify? I mean half of my DNA experienced slavery

And who will determine who is black? White people?

I just have a million questions

jtwoeleven

Quote from: Ton on June 18, 2019, 01:11:50 PM
Quote from: jtwoeleven on June 18, 2019, 01:10:05 PM

what about the mixed girls? Are they black?

Or someone who has black parents but looks white

:dead:

I have an African parent and an American parent

Do I qualify? I mean half of my DNA experienced slavery

And who will determine who is black? White people?

I just have a million questions

Look up your family history. If you can show that you are the direct descendant of slaves, or one who went through at least Jim Crow/segregation then you'd qualify.

Notice I said direct descendant, so it would have to be through your paternal/maternal line, so no distant cousins, uncles, aunts etc. Look at the racial classifications of your parents/grandparents on their birth certificates. If it says negro/colored on them, then that shows you qualify because the institutional barriers placed on your ancestors undeniably impacted your position in America today.

ton

RAY7

How much money would it be? Where would it come from? How would white people be excluded?
they all probably have at least 1 ancestor that was a slave whose kids passed for full White then the rest of the bloodline is White

jtwoeleven

Quote from: Ton on June 18, 2019, 01:28:55 PM
Do you really think this could happen though?

I truly do. But hear me when I say this: this battle will by no means be a quick one. But there has to be some people in it for the long haul. I'd imagine some slaves thought they'd never be free, well this is the same thing. Look to the lgbt lobby as an example. They didn't get marriage equality overnight. It took years and years of consistent pressure chipping away at the American conscious. If they can do that, why can't we?

But in order to do that, we will have to be more unified and politically sophisticated than we've shown to be as a collective in recent times.

ton

Quote from: jtwoeleven on June 18, 2019, 01:34:10 PM

I truly do. But hear me when I say this: this battle will by no means be a quick one. But there has to be some people in it for the long haul. I'd imagine some slaves thought they'd never be free, well this is the same thing. Look to the lgbt lobby as an example. They didn't get marriage equality overnight. It took years and years of consistent pressure chipping away at the American conscious. If they can do that, why can't we?

But in order to do that, we will have to be more unified and politically sophisticated than we've shown to be as a collective in recent times.
you're right

I'm inspired :stressed:

jtwoeleven

Quote from: 89 on June 18, 2019, 01:33:37 PM
How much money would it be? Where would it come from? How would white people be excluded?
they all probably have at least 1 ancestor that was a slave whose kids passed for full White then the rest of the bloodline is White

Bare minimum, it would have to be in the trillions, because if you adjust for inflation, America stole trillions of dollars in slave labor from black Americans. It's one of if not THE biggest contributor to the development of the American capitalist system. The government would be responsible for payment because they approved government sanctioned policies that kept our community as a contagion to building wealth as a collective.

For exclusions and qualifications, see my previous post. I want it to be very clear that this is not redress intended for anyone who wants to spontaneously claim a distant black relative for benefits.

jtwoeleven

Quote from: Ton on June 18, 2019, 01:39:23 PM
Quote from: jtwoeleven on June 18, 2019, 01:34:10 PM

you're right

I'm inspired :stressed:

Don't be disheartened, I'm still learning a lot on my political education journey. There's a great book on how the government basically excluded blacks en made from building wealth in America with home ownership called the Color of Law by Richard rothstein. It's very informative and eye opening.

On a personal, I recall you said you were half African and half American descendant. Is there a side you identify with more, if you don't mind sharing?

RAY7

Quote from: jtwoeleven on June 18, 2019, 01:39:35 PM

Bare minimum, it would have to be in the trillions, because if you adjust for inflation, America stole trillions of dollars in slave labor from black Americans. It's one of if not THE biggest contributor to the development of the American capitalist system. The government would be responsible for payment because they approved government sanctioned policies that kept our community as a contagion to building wealth as a collective.

For exclusions and qualifications, see my previous post. I want it to be very clear that this is not redress intended for anyone who wants to spontaneously claim a distant black relative for benefits.
You didn't speak on direct ancestors though which is what I mean, not cousins/ uncles and aunts I mean when a White person has a great great 5 times great grandmother that was Black and can prove it then what?

jtwoeleven

Quote from: 89 on June 18, 2019, 01:44:26 PM
Quote from: jtwoeleven on June 18, 2019, 01:39:35 PM

You didn't speak on direct ancestors though which is what I mean, not cousins/ uncles and aunts I mean when a White person has a great great 5 times great grandmother that was Black and can prove it then what?

If it's a great grandmother going back five generations, and they can prove that they descended from her with a birth certificate/family tree, etc, then they would qualify. That far back, I'm assuming the ancestor was most likely a slave. The documentation is what's supposed to take out a lot of the guesswork as far as "who's who?" Is concerned.

I'm unsure how many cases there are like that, but it's definitely possible they're out there. I don't know how you would exclude them, unless they didn't identify as black. Then again, how many people identify racially with a distant ancestor?