Billboard: Brandy on 'Beggin & Pleadin': 'This Particular Song Is Freedom'

Started by clutch, January 20, 2016, 01:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DraeDrizzl3

Quote from: clutch on January 20, 2016, 01:51:57 PM
"This particular song is freedom," Brandy says of her raw and gritty single "Beggin & Pleadin." "[It's] liberty to express myself in the most interesting, edgiest way possible."

The R&B veteran and Zoe Ever After star recently recalled creating the emotional record from the studio. "I like the way it sounds when I hear it back. It feels like I'm listening to somebody else and not me," she says in a video clip. "It's like bitch, what? It makes me feel bossy. Even if it's for two minutes and 45 seconds, I feel empowered by the story, the vocal, the production, it sounds fearless to me."

Through a creative brainstorm session with producers Warren "Oak" Felder & Andrew "Pop" Wansel,  Brandy co-wrote "Beggin & Pleadin" -- which showcases some of her best vocals -- with Kirby Lauren, inspired by the singer's love life. (Brandy and her ex-fiance Ryan split in 2014. She also has a daughter named Sy'rai with ex Robert Smith.)

"I told her my story, just a bit about what I experienced and how I went through a really hard breakup, and I wasn't able to just let it go and get over it so I was still in that place," she explains of the song, which dropped via SoundCloud and coincided with the Jan. 5 premiere of her new BET romcom Zoe Ever After. "When I did the song, it felt real. It felt like a true apology. Everything I had in that moment, I gave it right there because of how I was feeling. It felt like the song was writing itself."

She adds that she looks forward to bringing the record to the stage. "I'm here to touch a lot of people, I'm not here to just touch a few -- to touch a lot," she continues. "If you just listen, you'll be able to touch and reach and be able to bring everybody together for music, especially if it's authentic. Unity -- that's what we all need."

Brandy wraps her positive message with a shout out to herself. "It's all about what you believe at the end of the day," she says. "I believe that I'm the shit."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/6851027/brandy-beggin-pleadin-freedom-exclusive
I'm the shit
:flamebroiled: :flamebroiled: :flamebroiled:

DraeDrizzl3

:hmph:
Why the fuck isn't this available for purchase?

If this indeed gonna be a single, I think they should throw Kendrick or J Cole on it to get the buzz back since it's been online for weeks now.

FRANCE

Quote from: Sirius on January 21, 2016, 07:28:15 PM
:hmph:
Why the fuck isn't this available for purchase?

If this indeed gonna be a single, I think they should throw Kendrick or J Cole on it to get the buzz back since it's been online for weeks now.

Yea, if its randomly tossed on iTunes in the coming weeks, it wont do as well. Maybe it just wont get first single treatment. Either way, I'm glad the song was released and I'm glad about the feedback Bran received. If anything, this should just propel her to get the album finished and get the music out there sooner than later. An ego boost of sorts.

Wtv

they better get that album done in 4-6 months at the very late, lol

DraeDrizzl3

Quote from: Tijobr on January 21, 2016, 07:50:53 PM
they better get that album done in 4-6 months at the very late, lol
I hope they release a single and video the finale night of Zoe.
And a pre-order link for the album that'll drop a week or two later. Wishful thinking but yea.
:stressed: